Re: [Pali] Dhp-a III 128 on Dhp 153d

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 21, 2008
      Dear Jim, Nina,

      I see that there is a big mistake in my previous post. It is 'missattaaya'.
      The correct reading is 'missattaa' (Skt mi'sratvaat) and that is actually
      how it is found in the DhpA edition of Ven. A.P. Buddhadatta (the same monk
      who wrote the The New Pali Course).. The two acceptable readings are this
      and 'missataaya' (Skt mi'ratayaa), both abstract nouns The first is from
      a neuter form (missatta.m =Skt mi'sratvam) and hence the -aaya ending would
      result in a dative word. The second is from a feminine from (missataa =Skt
      mi'srataa) and the -ya ending is OK. The required case is ablative, giving
      the sense "due to the fact of being mixed/tied up with".

      Mahinda

      On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

      > Dear Mahinda,
      >
      > Thank-you very much for your helpful response. With your translation
      > and notes, you have cleared up the matter for me. I made the mistake
      > of trying to work with the meaning of 'return' for "nivattati" instead
      > of: stop, cease, come to an end which aren't in the PED entry although
      > it has "vanish, disappear".
      >
      > With appreciation,
      > Jim
      >
      > > Dear Jim,
      > > Pl. see translation and notes below.

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
        Dear Mahinda,

        I had thought that "missattaaya" was probably a mistake, as a dative
        ending doesn't seem right. In the PTS ed. of 1906, "missattaa" is
        mentioned among the 3 variant readings given in the footnotes. Dr.
        O.H. Pind has suggested the possibility of a "missitataaya" (missita +
        taa).

        Regarding your message with the translation and notes, I have this to
        say:

        > tasmaa ta.m gavesanto sandhaavissanti attho.

        Your translation:
        "The meaning is that (therefore) I travelled on
        (sandhaavissa.m), looking for him."

        I think it would make better sense to place "The meaning is that" in
        front of "because" at the beginning of the whole passage.

        And also in:
        > (Commentary says the house is the sense of self and ignorance
        > is the builder of it.)

        Isn't craving (ta.nhaa) the builder? (kaaraka.m ta.nhaava.d.dhaki.m,
        in the same commentary on p. 128). The metaphor for "avijjaa" is
        represented by "gahakuu.ta.m" the ridge-pole of the house
        (avijjaasa"nkhaata.m ka.n.nikama.n.dalampi, pp. 128-9). I take it that
        "ka.n.nikama.n.dalam" (lit. ear-circle ??) is a gloss for -kuuta.m but
        I get confused by such translations as "ridge-pole".

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        > Dear Jim, Nina,
        >
        > I see that there is a big mistake in my previous post. It is
        'missattaaya'. > The correct reading is 'missattaa' (Skt mi'sratvaat)
        and that is actually > how it is found in the DhpA edition of Ven.
        A.P. Buddhadatta (the same monk > who wrote the The New Pali Course)..
        The two acceptable readings are this > and 'missataaya' (Skt
        mi'ratayaa), both abstract nouns The first is from > a neuter form
        (missatta.m =Skt mi'sratvam) and hence the -aaya ending would > result
        in a dative word. The second is from a feminine from (missataa =Skt >
        mi'srataa) and the -ya ending is OK. The required case is ablative,
        giving > the sense "due to the fact of being mixed/tied up with".

        > Mahinda
      • Mahinda Palihawadana
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2008
          Thanks.
          "iti attho * (that is the meaning) is a common way in A.t.thakathaas to end
          a commentarial sentence or passage, or to make explicit what may be
          implicit. "tasmaa" can be translated as 'therefore'.
          I wonder why it is necessary to make a PP out of missa, which as an
          adjective can give rise to the abstarct nouns missataa and missatta.

          Actually kuu.ta.m has a clear meaning, i.e., top, peak. Gaha-kuu.ta.m
          should be the highest point of the roof, at which the rafters meet. I think,
          but am not sure, that the ridge-pole, resting on a cross beam, props up and
          supports the rafters where they meet together. I have such a pole in one
          part of my house!
          Agreed as to the rest. Ta.nhaa is the va.d.dhaki i.e.,carpenter!

          Best wishes.

          Mahinda

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2008
            Dear Mahinda,

            > Actually kuu.ta.m has a clear meaning, i.e., top, peak.
            > Gaha-kuu.ta.m should be the highest point of the roof,
            > at which the rafters meet. I think,but am not sure, that
            > the ridge-pole, resting on a cross beam,props up and
            > supports the rafters where they meet together. I have
            > such a pole in one part of my house!

            I found the following in the entry for ka.n.nikaa in the online CPD:

            " b. (t.t. archit.) a ka.n.nikaa roof-plate; ~ denotes a
            circular wooden roof-plate (cf. the term ka.n.nika-
            ma.n.dala, q.v.) crowning a peaked roof (like a kind
            of coping stone), into which the rafters (- gopaana-
            siis) are fitted, thus holding them together and sup-
            porting them (cf. the term gopaanasiibhaaravaha quali-
            fying ~); "

            It continues on with more and there is mention of the term being used
            as a synonym for kuu.ta.

            I don't have such a roof-plate at the peak of the pyramidal-shaped
            roof of my cottage here in Canada.The main roof frame is made up of
            four 2x4's that slope upward from the four corners of the building's
            walls and meet together at one point forming the peak. The ends here
            are shaped so that they all fit together snugly. It's a very strong
            roof that can withstand the heavy weight of snow and ice in the
            winter.

            Best wishes,
            Jim
          • mahipaliha
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2008
              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson.on@...>
              wrote:
              > I found the following in the entry for ka.n.nikaa in the online
              CPD:

              > " b. (t.t. archit.) a ka.n.nikaa roof-plate; ~ denotes a
              > circular wooden roof-plate (cf. the term ka.n.nika-
              > ma.n.dala, q.v.) crowning a peaked roof (like a kind
              > of coping stone), into which the rafters (- gopaana-
              > siis) are fitted, thus holding them together and sup-
              > porting them (cf. the term gopaanasiibhaaravaha quali-
              > fying ~); "
              >
              > It continues on with more and there is mention of the term being
              used
              > as a synonym for kuu.ta.
              >
              > I don't have such a roof-plate at the peak of the pyramidal-shaped
              > roof of my cottage here in Canada.The main roof frame is made up of
              > four 2x4's that slope upward from the four corners of the
              building's
              > walls and meet together at one point forming the peak. The ends
              here
              > are shaped so that they all fit together snugly. It's a very strong
              > roof that can withstand the heavy weight of snow and ice in the
              > winter.
              Very interesting information. Thank you, Jim.

              Mahinda
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 24, 2008
                Jim,

                On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

                > I found the following in the entry for ka.n.nikaa in the online CPD:

                You mentioned "online CPD" or should it be "online PED". I would love to
                know the address
                of the online CPD. Although I have a complete set of the CPD (up to
                ka.lyaanakaarii), it
                would be convenient to have an online on.

                With metta,

                Piya

                --
                The Minding Centre