Re: [Pali] Warder Ch. 5 and 6

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
      Dear Mahinda,

      Thank-you very much for taking it further. You have a wonderful way of
      explaining such matters in terms that are easy for Pali students to
      understand. Now, over the past week I have been going over the
      Dhammapada commentary on verses Dhp 153-4 (the Housebuilder verses)
      and there is one sentence (on Dhp 153d) that I'm having problems
      understanding and was wondering if you could help me with it. I know
      you were involved in the translation of the word-by-word commentary on
      Dhp, so you seem like the right person to ask. I can post the sentence
      in another message and explain what I'm able to make of it so far and
      point out the problems I'm having with it.

      Regards,
      Jim

      > Dear Natalie, Nina and Jim,
      >
      > Natalie asked why not 'khattiye'. Why did she ask this? Probably she
      thought
      > of the English equivalent: "Mahagovinda approached those Khattiyas."
      If Pali
    • natalie_indeed
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
        Dear Pali list lovely people,

        > I remembered that you had raised a similar question here before.
        That was late last January from my search of the messages.

        I thought I had asked this before but could not find it when I
        searched the archived messages! How embarrassing!

        Anyway, your answer helped immensely, particularly the Vinaya
        commentary. Thank you Nina and Jim!

        Hopefully by next January I will be reviewing chapter 30, not chapter
        5 (again). :D

        Metta & mudita,
        Natalie
      • natalie_indeed
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
          Dear Mahinda,

          This really clarifies everything--as a "contracted" sentence with an
          implied verb, of course it would be in the first case. (Light bulb
          appears over Natalie's head....)

          Bohoma isthuti,
          Natalie
        • Mahinda Palihawadana
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
            Dear Jim,
            I will be glad to try my hand at it once you have posted your message.
            Regards.
            Mahinda

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
              Dear Mahinda and Jim,
              I hope Jim's question on the Dhammapada commentary will be here on
              list, we all can learn. Mahinda, I hope you help more often, I very
              much like your clear way of explaining.
              Nina.
              Op 20-sep-2008, om 17:32 heeft natalie_indeed het volgende geschreven: