Re: [Pali] Warder Ch. 5 and 6

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2008
      Dear Natalie,

      Op 19-sep-2008, om 6:06 heeft natalie_indeed het volgende geschreven:

      > Ex 1, p. 34
      > Then Mahaagovinda the priest toward those nobles approached that way
      > (atha kho Mahaagovindo braahma.no yena te khattiyaa tena upasa.mkami).
      > Why not "te khattiye" since "those nobles" are the recipients of
      > Mahaagovinda's approach?
      -------
      N: We have to think of a relative sentence with the nominative: Then,
      by which way those nobles were, by that way went Mahaagovinda the
      priest.

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2008
        Dear Natalie,

        I remembered that you had raised a similar question here before. That
        was late last January from my search of the messages. Buddhaghosa's
        Vinaya commentary (Sp I 128) on the phrase "yena Bhagavaa
        tenupasa"nkami" may be of some help. It offers two explanations that
        can be applied to your sentence as follow:

        1) yena and tena are instrumental expressions in the sense of the
        locative, equivalent to yattha (where) and tattha (there),
        respectively. Then, where those nobles were, there Mahaagovinda
        approached.

        2) yena and tena are equivalent to yena kaara.nena (for whatever
        reason) and tena kaara.nena (for that reason), respectively. Then, for
        whatever reason those nobles (are to be approached), for that reason
        Mahaagovinda approached.

        Best wishes,
        Jim
      • Mahinda Palihawadana
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2008
          Dear Natalie, Nina and Jim,

          Natalie asked why not 'khattiye'. Why did she ask this? Probably she thought
          of the English equivalent: "Mahagovinda approached those Khattiyas." If Pali
          idiom was same as the English, "those Khattiyas" would translate as "te
          khattiye" (accusative). This is not impossible. We could have had
          "mahaagovindo braahma.no te khattiye upasa.mkami." But it is more idiomatic
          in Pali to say it as it is found in the text. Jim was right as far as the
          usage of the instrumental 'yena' (in the sense of the locative 'yattha') was
          concerned. Now what must be added is that the Pali has here a (contracted)
          complex sentence, It is, if the implied word is added, "atha kho
          mahaagovindo braahma.no yena te khattiyaa (aasu.m), ten'upasa.mkami."
          (Mahagovinda approached there where those Khattiyas were).Naturally, the
          subject of the subordinate sentence (khattiyaa aasu.m: Khattiyas were)
          needs 'khattiyaa' in the nominative case. The other sentence is to be
          explained in the same manner. Regards.

          Mahinda

          On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Jim Anderson <jimanderson.on@...>wrote:

          > Dear Natalie,
          >
          > I remembered that you had raised a similar question here before. That
          > was late last January from my search of the messages. Buddhaghosa's
          > Vinaya commentary (Sp I 128) on the phrase "yena Bhagavaa
          > tenupasa"nkami" may be of some help. It offers two explanations that
          > can be applied to your sentence as follow:
          >
          > 1) yena and tena are instrumental expressions in the sense of the
          > locative, equivalent to yattha (where) and tattha (there),
          > respectively. Then, where those nobles were, there Mahaagovinda
          > approached.
          >
          > 2) yena and tena are equivalent to yena kaara.nena (for whatever
          > reason) and tena kaara.nena (for that reason), respectively. Then, for
          > whatever reason those nobles (are to be approached), for that reason
          > Mahaagovinda approached.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Jim

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
            Dear Mahinda,

            Thank-you very much for taking it further. You have a wonderful way of
            explaining such matters in terms that are easy for Pali students to
            understand. Now, over the past week I have been going over the
            Dhammapada commentary on verses Dhp 153-4 (the Housebuilder verses)
            and there is one sentence (on Dhp 153d) that I'm having problems
            understanding and was wondering if you could help me with it. I know
            you were involved in the translation of the word-by-word commentary on
            Dhp, so you seem like the right person to ask. I can post the sentence
            in another message and explain what I'm able to make of it so far and
            point out the problems I'm having with it.

            Regards,
            Jim

            > Dear Natalie, Nina and Jim,
            >
            > Natalie asked why not 'khattiye'. Why did she ask this? Probably she
            thought
            > of the English equivalent: "Mahagovinda approached those Khattiyas."
            If Pali
          • natalie_indeed
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
              Dear Pali list lovely people,

              > I remembered that you had raised a similar question here before.
              That was late last January from my search of the messages.

              I thought I had asked this before but could not find it when I
              searched the archived messages! How embarrassing!

              Anyway, your answer helped immensely, particularly the Vinaya
              commentary. Thank you Nina and Jim!

              Hopefully by next January I will be reviewing chapter 30, not chapter
              5 (again). :D

              Metta & mudita,
              Natalie
            • natalie_indeed
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
                Dear Mahinda,

                This really clarifies everything--as a "contracted" sentence with an
                implied verb, of course it would be in the first case. (Light bulb
                appears over Natalie's head....)

                Bohoma isthuti,
                Natalie
              • Mahinda Palihawadana
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
                  Dear Jim,
                  I will be glad to try my hand at it once you have posted your message.
                  Regards.
                  Mahinda

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 20, 2008
                    Dear Mahinda and Jim,
                    I hope Jim's question on the Dhammapada commentary will be here on
                    list, we all can learn. Mahinda, I hope you help more often, I very
                    much like your clear way of explaining.
                    Nina.
                    Op 20-sep-2008, om 17:32 heeft natalie_indeed het volgende geschreven: