the "thai edition" tipitaka

  • Andrew Mathis
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2008
      I have some questions about editions of the Tipitaka. First of all,
      does this chart
      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhammasociety/2167777935/sizes/o/)
      represent a pretty complete rundown of all the major Tipitaka
      editions? If so, when people talk about the "Thai edition", which of
      those editions are they talking about? Secondly, is the edition of the
      Tipitaka at budsir.mahidol.ac.th this "Thai edition"? If not, where
      can I find it online?

      Thanks,
      Andrew Mathis
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2008
        Dear Andrew,

        thank you for your question. I shall try my best.

        1. As the chart indicates, the list contains only those Tipitaka
        editions which were referenced by the author. I suppose it lists most
        of the editions of the Pali canon printed in recent times. However, it
        does not list Tipitaka editions before 1893, and all manuscripts and
        inscriptions, existing, lost or destroyed. So, the list is very much
        incomplete. It will take a scholarly effort to complete any such list.

        On the other hand, the chart means the listed editions can still be
        found in hard copies in Asia, and many are now available in digital
        formats.

        2. I am not sure which is the "Thai edition" you mention. It may be
        syaa3, the Syaamara.t.thassa Tepi.taka.m, as shown on the chart. The
        title means the Tipitaka of the Kingdom of Thailand.

        If my assumption is correct, then this is exactly the edition BUDSIR
        is based upon. I quote from BUDSIR website, "The project began
        immediately with a trial volume. Volume 22 of the Syamarattha version
        of the Tipitaka, which is the Anguttara Nikaya, Sattaka-Navakanipata,
        was chosen."

        http://mahidol.ac.th/budsir/history.htm

        Hope this helps, and inspires our scholars to pursue the noble goal.