Re: [Pali] abhippamodati?

  • Sumana Athale
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
      may be it is abhi+pamodati ,abi= highest, pamodati =happy,joy

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
         Abhippamodati : (page 67)

        (pupphāni Tathāgatassa sarīraŋ okiranti ajjhokiranti a.); VvA 38 (for abbhokirati Vv 59). <-> pp. abhippakiṇṇa (q. v.).
        Abhippamodati
        Abhippamodati [abhi + pamodati] to rejoice (intrs.); to please, satisfy (trs, c. acc.) M i.425; S v.312, 330; A v.112; J iii 530; Ps i.95, 176, 190.http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/search3advanced?dbname=pali&query=pamodati&matchtype=exact&display=utf8
        as a member of the Western Buddhist Order I use a lot of Pali coin
        words without knowing the language.
        At the moment I give very short talks concerning anapanasati. In the
        10th step it says "'abhippamodaya. m citta.m". I guess "abhi" means
        "highest" and "ppamodati" is the adjective proper. Has it anything to
        do with "pamojja" (skt. pramodya)?

        Thans
        Sraddhabandhu

      • Dharmachari Sraddhabandhu
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 16, 2008
          Dear Piya,
          thank you for the compliment. :-) Actually we see ourselves as neither lay nor monk, which is a unusual concept if you don't know Sangharakshitas (Founder of the FWBO) thinking. I'm certainly not a monk, don't follow the vinaya, and don't need to be called "Venerable". But we all, celibate and non-celibate Order members, have more than the five precepts. It's ten: three body-, four speech-, three mind-precepts.

          Anyway, I don't think this is the place to discuss the relations between Buddhist Orders. Thank you, Nina, for your input. Im getting more and more fond of going to the Pali sources, and I am sure this newsgroup will be a great help to it.

          Yours in the Dharma
          Sraddhabandhu