abhippamodati?

  • sraddhabandhu
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hello,
      as a member of the Western Buddhist Order I use a lot of Pali coin
      words without knowing the language.
      At the moment I give very short talks concerning anapanasati. In the
      10th step it says "'abhippamodaya.m citta.m". I guess "abhi" means
      "highest" and "ppamodati" is the adjective proper. Has it anything to
      do with "pamojja" (skt. pramodya)?

      Thans
      Sraddhabandhu
    • Sumana Athale
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
        may be it is abhi+pamodati ,abi= highest, pamodati =happy,joy

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
           Abhippamodati : (page 67)

          (pupphāni Tathāgatassa sarīraŋ okiranti ajjhokiranti a.); VvA 38 (for abbhokirati Vv 59). <-> pp. abhippakiṇṇa (q. v.).
          Abhippamodati
          Abhippamodati [abhi + pamodati] to rejoice (intrs.); to please, satisfy (trs, c. acc.) M i.425; S v.312, 330; A v.112; J iii 530; Ps i.95, 176, 190.http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/search3advanced?dbname=pali&query=pamodati&matchtype=exact&display=utf8

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
            Dear Venerable Sraddhabandhu,
            Op 14-sep-2008, om 16:46 heeft sraddhabandhu het volgende geschreven:

            > At the moment I give very short talks concerning anapanasati. In the
            > 10th step it says "'abhippamodaya.m citta.m". I guess "abhi" means
            > "highest" and "ppamodati" is the adjective proper. Has it anything to
            > do with "pamojja" (skt. pramodya)?
            ------
            pamojja: delight, gladness. The tenth step, perhaps meant is what the
            Visuddhimagga quotes:
            < As regards the words in the third tetrad: �(X) I shall breathe
            in...breathe out gladdening the (manner of) consciousness�, the
            Visuddhimagga (VIII, 231) states that there is gladdening in two
            ways, namely through concentration and through insight.>

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008
              Nina,

              :) Sraddhabandhu is actually a layman, but I'm sure he is venerable.

              The Western Buddhist Order has both celibate and non-celibate members.

              Piya

              On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

              > Dear Venerable Sraddhabandhu,
              > Op 14-sep-2008, om 16:46 heeft sraddhabandhu het volgende geschreven:
              >
              > > At the moment I give very short talks concerning anapanasati. In the
              > > 10th step it says "'abhippamodaya.m citta.m". I guess "abhi" means
              > > "highest" and "ppamodati" is the adjective proper. Has it anything to
              > > do with "pamojja" (skt. pramodya)?
              > ------
              > pamojja: delight, gladness. The tenth step, perhaps meant is what the
              > Visuddhimagga quotes:
              > < As regards the words in the third tetrad: "(X) I shall breathe
              > in...breathe out gladdening the (manner of) consciousness", the
              > Visuddhimagga (VIII, 231) states that there is gladdening in two
              > ways, namely through concentration and through insight.>
              >
              > Nina.

              > ------------------------------------

              The Minding Centre
              Singapore 650644
              Tel: 8211 0879
              Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

            • Dharmachari Sraddhabandhu
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 16, 2008
                Dear Piya,
                thank you for the compliment. :-) Actually we see ourselves as neither lay nor monk, which is a unusual concept if you don't know Sangharakshitas (Founder of the FWBO) thinking. I'm certainly not a monk, don't follow the vinaya, and don't need to be called "Venerable". But we all, celibate and non-celibate Order members, have more than the five precepts. It's ten: three body-, four speech-, three mind-precepts.

                Anyway, I don't think this is the place to discuss the relations between Buddhist Orders. Thank you, Nina, for your input. Im getting more and more fond of going to the Pali sources, and I am sure this newsgroup will be a great help to it.

                Yours in the Dharma
                Sraddhabandhu

                --

                The Minding Centre