Margaret Cone on Pali lexicography in PaliText Society Journal 2007

  • Jon Fernquest
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2008
      Dear List Members;

      If you are interested in translating Pali or in Pali dictionaries, the
      following article is a must read:

      Cone, Margaret (2007) "Caveat lector," in Pali Text Society Journal,
      Vol. XXIX, Journal 2007 (Festschrift) [at Siam Society, Bangkok]

      The author raises all possible issues in a historical context.
      Lots of food for thought in this article. A lot of the issues beg to
      be treated by computer assisted lexicography. The article is not
      online though. (I'm going to quote it with comments at my blog on
      Burmese history.)

      In this edition of the PTSJ there are articles by all the senior Pali
      scholars in the world:

      Vol. XXIX, Journal 2007 (Festschrift)
      Oskar von Hinüber: Preface
      Allon, Mark: A Gandhari Version of the Simile of the Turtle and the
      Hole in the Yoke
      Balbir, Nalini: Three Pali Works Revisited
      Bodhi, Bhikkhu: The Susima-sutta and the Wisdom-Liberated Arahant
      Collins, Steven: Remarks on the Third Precept: Adultery and
      Prostitution in Pali Texts
      Cone, Margaret: Caveat lector
      Crosby, Kate: Sankhepasarasangaha: Abbreviation in Pali
      Dundas, Paul: A Note on the Heterodox Calendar and a Disputed Reading
      in the Kalakacaryakath?
      Gethin, R.M.L.: What's in a Repetition? On Counting the Suttas of the
      Samyutta-nikaya
      Hara, Minoru: A Note on vinaya
      Jaini, Padmanabh S.: A Note on micchaditthi in Mahavamsa
      Kahrs, Eivind G.: Further Reflections on Buddhism and Philology
      Kieffer-Pülz, Petra: Stretching the Vinaya Rules and Getting Away with It
      Lienhard, Siegfried: On the Corresponance of Helmer Smith and Gunnar
      Jarring
      Mori, Sodo: Recent Japanese Studies in the Pali Commentarial Literature
      Pruitt, William: The Career of Women Disciple Bodhisattas
      Salomon, Richard, and Stefan Baums: Sanskrit Iksvaku, Pali Okkaka, and
      Gandhari Ismaho
      Schmithausen, Lambert: On Mahayanasutralankara VII.1
      Schopen, Gregory: The Buddhist Bhiksu's Obligation to Support His
      Parents in Two Vinaya Traditions
      Skilling, Peter: Zombies and Half-Zombies: Mahasatras and Other
      Protective Measures

      http://www.palitext.com/palitext/coj_pts.htm

      With metta,
      Jon
    • Ngawang Dorje
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2008
        Hi,

        Is it true that TimesPTSA is only Macintosh compatible. How do I read a document using Windows if its written using TimesPTSA?

        Thanks,
        Rahula

      • makymid
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2008
          Dear Rahula,
          it depends on the Windows OS version you have. Vista usually make the
          font conversion automatically with may kinds of diacritic font sets.
          Maybe you can find these links useful:

          http://www.palitext.com/subpages/PC_Unicode.htm
          http://www.vri.dhamma.org/general/pali.html

          With kind regards,