Re: [Pali] Prince Goodspeaker-Pali term?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8 11:58 AM
      Dear Johan,
      The number of the Jataka would be necessary, so that it can be found.
      I looked at the file, but this is a free rendering, done very nicely,
      but not a translation. It would be helpful to know the Pali.
      Nina.
      Op 7-aug-2008, om 9:33 heeft johan wijaya het volgende geschreven:

      > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
      > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
      > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
      > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
      > Chapter 6 (page 22). The file can be read herehttp://
      > www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/jataka_tv1.pdf

    • johan wijaya
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10 10:52 PM

        Thank you for the reply. I am now aware that it is a free rendering, not a translation.
        However, if anyone had any information regarding to this, do share it.

        By the way, if you had such issue (problems with translating names from the source language to the target language), what would you (suggest to) do? The name is "Prince Goodspeaker" and let's say you are translating it to Pali or even Indonesian.

        With Metta,
        Johan.

        Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Johan,
        The number of the Jataka would be necessary, so that it can be found.
        I looked at the file, but this is a free rendering, done very nicely,
        but not a translation. It would be helpful to know the Pali.
        Nina.
        Op 7-aug-2008, om 9:33 heeft johan wijaya het volgende geschreven:

        > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
        > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
        > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
        > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
        > Chapter 6 (page 22). The file can be read herehttp://
        > www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/jataka_tv1.pdf

      • ong.yongpeng
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11 5:57 AM
          Dear Nina and Johan,

          from what I see, the story is from the Devadhamma Jaataka.

          http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/jataka

          The prince's name is Mahisaasa. Hope that helps.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johan wijaya wrote:

          However, if anyone had any information regarding to this, do share it.

          > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
          > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
          > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
          > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
          > Chapter 6 (page 22).
        • johan wijaya
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12 1:19 AM

            Thanks a lot for the name.
            If I may know, how did you come into this conclusion (Mahisaasa)?

            with Metta,
            Johan.

            "ong.yongpeng" <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear Nina and Johan,

            from what I see, the story is from the Devadhamma Jaataka.

            http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/jataka

            The prince's name is Mahisaasa. Hope that helps.

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johan wijaya wrote:

            However, if anyone had any information regarding to this, do share it.

            > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
            > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
            > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
            > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
            > Chapter 6 (page 22).

          • ong.yongpeng
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12 4:59 AM
              Dear Johan,

              the name came directly from the Pali commentary (reference CSCD). The
              DPPN has Mahimsaasa:
              http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/d/devadhamma_jat_6.htm

              However, the name "goodspeaker" probably comes from the end of the
              story. This is probably where Nina takes over to help. ;-)

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13 7:29 AM
                Dear Yong Peng and Johan,
                Op 12-aug-2008, om 13:59 heeft ong.yongpeng het volgende geschreven:

                > the name came directly from the Pali commentary (reference CSCD). The
                > DPPN has Mahimsaasa:
                > http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/d/devadhamma_jat_6.htm
                >
                > However, the name "goodspeaker" probably comes from the end of the
                > story. This is probably where Nina takes over to help. ;-)
                -------
                N: Not sure I can be of much help, translating the name Mahi.msaasa.
                Saasati is: to teach. Mahi.m can be a form of mahaa, great. This
                Prince is a great teacher or a noble speaker.
                Perhaps this meaning can be rendered in the translation into Bahasa?

              • johan wijaya
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14 2:29 AM
                  Dear Yong Peng and Nina,

                  Thanks (again) for the help and information.
                  So, it is Mahi.msaasa, not Mahimsaasa.

                  Well, I'd rather not translate the name when I've got the Pali, I'd rather use the Pali (Mahi.msaasa) as I can't think of a term (in Bahasa) to represent the meaning...Perhaps I'll just suggest my friend to give a footnote in her translation for the meaning of the name.

                  With Metta,
                  Johan.

                  Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Yong Peng and Johan,