Sabbatthataaya or Sabbattataaya

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
      Dear Pali friends,

      The Kesaputtiya Sutta in the Anguttara (A 1:192,8) has an interesting
      word in the description of the Four Brahmaviharas from this passage:

      Iti uddha.m adho tiriya.m sabbadhi sabbattataaya sabbaavanta.m loka.m
      mettaa,sahagatena cetasaa...

      which is repeated for each of the other three Brahmavihara.

      PED 681 has sabbatthataaya "on the whole" (references given).

      However, Bhikkhu Bodhi (Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, 1999:66 has
      "to all as to himself", where he apparently reads the word as
      sabbattataaya. Am I right? I think this reading is better but cannot
      substantiate it.

      Could someone please throw more light on this interesting point.

      Thanks & sukhi.

      P.
    • cheangoo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
        Dear Piya,

        I met the same problem on this word some time ago but managed to get
        it cleared up by Ven. Sujato. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation is
        correct. The root word is sabbatta [sabba + atta]. the addition of
        the suffix -taa [sabbattataa] converts the word to its abstract noun
        form i.e. all-and-self becomes "all-and-selfness". The final word
        sabbattataaya of course is the dative case making the meaning "to all-
        and-selfness" or as bhikkhu bodhi translates it - "to all as to
        himself".

        With mettaa
        Cheang Oo

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
          Muditaa to you, Cheang Oo,

          Thanks for the clarification: now I'm more sure which text and translation is better.

          It's also clear from the context that if the word is taken as sabbatthataaya, it
          would be redundant as sabbadhi is already mentioned earlier (even if it were a
          repetition for emphasis, but which would be out of character here).

          Sukhi.

          P.