Prince Goodspeaker-Pali term?

  • johan wijaya
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2008
      Dear all,

      A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s), especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on Chapter 6 (page 22). The file can be read here http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/jataka_tv1.pdf

      She's translating from English to Indonesian.

      Perhaps someone in this group here know the reference (in other language, Pali maybe) for the name Prince Goodspeaker. As it is quite awkward to translate it literally, I hereby ask for any help or advice.

      Thanks in advance.

      With Metta,
      Johan.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2008
        Dear Johan,
        The number of the Jataka would be necessary, so that it can be found.
        I looked at the file, but this is a free rendering, done very nicely,
        but not a translation. It would be helpful to know the Pali.
        Nina.
        Op 7-aug-2008, om 9:33 heeft johan wijaya het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 2008

          Thank you for the reply. I am now aware that it is a free rendering, not a translation.
          However, if anyone had any information regarding to this, do share it.

          By the way, if you had such issue (problems with translating names from the source language to the target language), what would you (suggest to) do? The name is "Prince Goodspeaker" and let's say you are translating it to Pali or even Indonesian.

          With Metta,
          Johan.

          Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Johan,
          The number of the Jataka would be necessary, so that it can be found.
          I looked at the file, but this is a free rendering, done very nicely,
          but not a translation. It would be helpful to know the Pali.
          Nina.
          Op 7-aug-2008, om 9:33 heeft johan wijaya het volgende geschreven:

          > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
          > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
          > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
          > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
          > Chapter 6 (page 22). The file can be read herehttp://
          > www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/jataka_tv1.pdf

        • ong.yongpeng
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 2008
            Dear Nina and Johan,

            from what I see, the story is from the Devadhamma Jaataka.

            http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/jataka

            The prince's name is Mahisaasa. Hope that helps.

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johan wijaya wrote:

            However, if anyone had any information regarding to this, do share it.

            > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
            > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
            > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
            > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
            > Chapter 6 (page 22).
          • johan wijaya
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008

              Thanks a lot for the name.
              If I may know, how did you come into this conclusion (Mahisaasa)?

              with Metta,
              Johan.

              "ong.yongpeng" <pali.smith@...> wrote: Dear Nina and Johan,

              from what I see, the story is from the Devadhamma Jaataka.

              http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/jataka

              The prince's name is Mahisaasa. Hope that helps.

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, johan wijaya wrote:

              However, if anyone had any information regarding to this, do share it.

              > A friend of mine is currently translating the Jataka tales taken
              > from Buddha's Tale for Young and Old Vol. 1(int. by Ven Kurunegoda
              > Piyatissa). She's got a problem with translating the name(s),
              > especially the name of Prince Goodspeaker, which is stated on
              > Chapter 6 (page 22).

            • ong.yongpeng
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 2008
                Dear Johan,

                the name came directly from the Pali commentary (reference CSCD). The
                DPPN has Mahimsaasa:
                http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/d/devadhamma_jat_6.htm

                However, the name "goodspeaker" probably comes from the end of the
                story. This is probably where Nina takes over to help. ;-)

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 2008
                  Dear Yong Peng and Johan,
                  Op 12-aug-2008, om 13:59 heeft ong.yongpeng het volgende geschreven:

                  > the name came directly from the Pali commentary (reference CSCD). The
                  > DPPN has Mahimsaasa:
                  > http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/d/devadhamma_jat_6.htm
                  >
                  > However, the name "goodspeaker" probably comes from the end of the
                  > story. This is probably where Nina takes over to help. ;-)
                  -------
                  N: Not sure I can be of much help, translating the name Mahi.msaasa.
                  Saasati is: to teach. Mahi.m can be a form of mahaa, great. This
                  Prince is a great teacher or a noble speaker.
                  Perhaps this meaning can be rendered in the translation into Bahasa?

                • johan wijaya
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2008
                    Dear Yong Peng and Nina,

                    Thanks (again) for the help and information.
                    So, it is Mahi.msaasa, not Mahimsaasa.

                    Well, I'd rather not translate the name when I've got the Pali, I'd rather use the Pali (Mahi.msaasa) as I can't think of a term (in Bahasa) to represent the meaning...Perhaps I'll just suggest my friend to give a footnote in her translation for the meaning of the name.

                    With Metta,
                    Johan.

                    Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Yong Peng and Johan,