Re: [Pali] Greetings!

  • Hans Van Slooten
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
      Welcome Lorna,

      I'm also very new to the Pali language, so there may be better ways to
      start, but I would recommend starting with Lily de Silva's Intro:

      http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/productdetails.cfm?PC=768

      (answer key here:
      http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/productdetails.cfm?PC=790 )

      Then it is generally recommended to move on to A.K. Warder.

      Hope this helps,
      Hans

      On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM, edhead99 <justblueice@...> wrote:

      > I'm brand new. What do I do first? You all soeem so advanced! Caan't
      > wait to get there, too. Namaste, Lorna
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • Hans Van Slooten
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
        I forgot to mention that this book is available online as well:

        http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

        On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Hans Van Slooten <vansloot@...> wrote:

        > Welcome Lorna,
        >
        > I'm also very new to the Pali language, so there may be better ways to
        > start, but I would recommend starting with Lily de Silva's Intro:
        >
        > http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/productdetails.cfm?PC=768
        >
        > (answer key here:
        > http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/productdetails.cfm?PC=790 )
        >
        > Then it is generally recommended to move on to A.K. Warder.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Hans
        >

        > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM, edhead99 <justblueice@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I'm brand new. What do I do first? You all soeem so advanced! Caan't
        >> wait to get there, too. Namaste, Lorna
        >>

        >> ------------------------------------

      • P G Dave
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008

          I looked at the pali learning pages on tipitaka.net
          Though I installed all the recommended vriromanpali fonts, I still see
          characters like "?" and other junk characters.

          kindly help to resolve this.

          Thanks.
          PG
          ____________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
            Dear Dave, Hans, Lorna,
            Op 5-aug-2008, om 23:24 heeft P G Dave het volgende geschreven:

            > I looked at the pali learning pages on tipitaka.net
            > Though I installed all the recommended vriromanpali fonts, I still see
            > characters like "?" and other junk characters.
            ------
            N: I have an IMac and it depends on the computer. I had no trouble
            using this:
            <http://www.tipitaka.org/ >
            I am interested to know whether you have success. Otherwise Yong Peng
            may help you.

            The da Sila Grammar is on line , to be found in the home page of this
            list under pali scape ( green bar on top, second to left), drop down
            menu, Pali day by day. I just used it.
            <http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/>

          • P G Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
              It finally worked, Nina, after I closed my browser and re-opened it.
              Thanks.

              On 8/6/08, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

              > Dear Dave, Hans, Lorna,
              > Op 5-aug-2008, om 23:24 heeft P G Dave het volgende geschreven:
              >
              > > I looked at the pali learning pages on tipitaka.net
              > > Though I installed all the recommended vriromanpali fonts, I still see
              > > characters like "?" and other junk characters.
              > ------
              > N: I have an IMac and it depends on the computer. I had no trouble
              > using this:
              > <http://www.tipitaka.org/ >
              > I am interested to know whether you have success. Otherwise Yong Peng
              > may help you.
              >
              > The da Sila Grammar is on line , to be found in the home page of this
              > list under pali scape ( green bar on top, second to left), drop down
              > menu, Pali day by day. I just used it.
              > <http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/>
              >
              > Nina.

            • Patrick Hall
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
                Hello,

                I have found this version of De Silva's book amenable:

                http://www.pratyeka.org/Silva/

                It's a pdf file, so fonts are not a problem. And at 50 pages (two
                sheets per page) is quite reasonable to print a copy; if you have
                access to a double-sided printer it would come out to just 25 sheets
                for the whole 100-page text.

                metta

                Pat
              • ong.yongpeng
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2008
                  Dear Nina, Dave, Hans and Lorna,

                  tipitaka.net supports the Unicode standard, and I am in the process of
                  updating the rest of the site to offer the dual support of Unicode and
                  Velthuis.