Greetings!

  • edhead99
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2008
      I'm brand new. What do I do first? You all soeem so advanced! Caan't
      wait to get there, too. Namaste, Lorna
    • Hans Van Slooten
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
        Welcome Lorna,

        I'm also very new to the Pali language, so there may be better ways to
        start, but I would recommend starting with Lily de Silva's Intro:

        http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/productdetails.cfm?PC=768

        (answer key here:
        http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/productdetails.cfm?PC=790 )

        Then it is generally recommended to move on to A.K. Warder.

        Hope this helps,
        Hans

        On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM, edhead99 <justblueice@...> wrote:

        > I'm brand new. What do I do first? You all soeem so advanced! Caan't
        > wait to get there, too. Namaste, Lorna
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Hans Van Slooten
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
          I forgot to mention that this book is available online as well:

          http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008
            Dear Lorna,
            you could go to the home page, above is agreen bar and touch with
            the cursor the second bar from the left, Pali scape. Here you find
            Pali day by day and also Pali scope; see this link.
            http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/pali/pal0101.htm

            Nina.
            Op 4-aug-2008, om 17:34 heeft edhead99 het volgende geschreven:

            > What do I do first?

          • P G Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2008

              I looked at the pali learning pages on tipitaka.net
              Though I installed all the recommended vriromanpali fonts, I still see
              characters like "?" and other junk characters.

              kindly help to resolve this.

              Thanks.
              PG
              ____________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
                Dear Dave, Hans, Lorna,
                Op 5-aug-2008, om 23:24 heeft P G Dave het volgende geschreven:

                > I looked at the pali learning pages on tipitaka.net
                > Though I installed all the recommended vriromanpali fonts, I still see
                > characters like "?" and other junk characters.
                ------
                N: I have an IMac and it depends on the computer. I had no trouble
                using this:
                <http://www.tipitaka.org/ >
                I am interested to know whether you have success. Otherwise Yong Peng
                may help you.

                The da Sila Grammar is on line , to be found in the home page of this
                list under pali scape ( green bar on top, second to left), drop down
                menu, Pali day by day. I just used it.
                <http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/>

              • P G Dave
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
                  It finally worked, Nina, after I closed my browser and re-opened it.
                  Thanks.

                  On 8/6/08, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Dave, Hans, Lorna,
                  > Op 5-aug-2008, om 23:24 heeft P G Dave het volgende geschreven:
                  >
                  > > I looked at the pali learning pages on tipitaka.net
                  > > Though I installed all the recommended vriromanpali fonts, I still see
                  > > characters like "?" and other junk characters.
                  > ------
                  > N: I have an IMac and it depends on the computer. I had no trouble
                  > using this:
                  > <http://www.tipitaka.org/ >
                  > I am interested to know whether you have success. Otherwise Yong Peng
                  > may help you.
                  >
                  > The da Sila Grammar is on line , to be found in the home page of this
                  > list under pali scape ( green bar on top, second to left), drop down
                  > menu, Pali day by day. I just used it.
                  > <http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/>
                  >
                  > Nina.

                • Patrick Hall
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008
                    Hello,

                    I have found this version of De Silva's book amenable:

                    http://www.pratyeka.org/Silva/

                    It's a pdf file, so fonts are not a problem. And at 50 pages (two
                    sheets per page) is quite reasonable to print a copy; if you have
                    access to a double-sided printer it would come out to just 25 sheets
                    for the whole 100-page text.

                    metta

                    Pat
                  • ong.yongpeng
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 10, 2008
                      Dear Nina, Dave, Hans and Lorna,

                      tipitaka.net supports the Unicode standard, and I am in the process of
                      updating the rest of the site to offer the dual support of Unicode and
                      Velthuis.