Re: [Pali] SN 1,1

  • upasika
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
      Thanks a lot, Nina.

      ----- Mensaje original ----
      De: Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...>
      Para: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      Enviado: viernes, 1 de agosto, 2008 8:45:16
      Asunto: Re: [Pali] SN 1,1

      Dear Sabrina,
      > khvaaha.m: kho+ aha.m
      Kho is a particle for emphasis, transl. as: indeed.
      Here a consonant is inserted between two vowels. A final o (kho)
      followed by a: insertion of v. and then lenghtening of a: aaha.m.
      I use Warder (Ch 23) for my Pali. see also: kho+ ettha-> khvettha.
      > anaayuuha.m: without effort.
      I cannot check the context, since I do not know where in the Sutta
      Nipata it is.
      What you say seems all right.
      Nina.
      Op 31-jul-2008, om 17:57 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:

      > Appati.t.tha. m khvaaha.m aavuso anaayuuha.m oghamatarinti
      >

      > Op 30-jul-2008, om 15:44 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > I need your help with a word in the SN 1,1 Oghatarana Sutta:
      > > Appati.t.tha. m [not standing still] khv_aha.m [¿?] _avuso [friend]
      > > an_ay_uha.m [derived from: an_ay_uhahana = not effort (¿?)]
      > > oghamatari'nti [cross over the river]

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
        Dear Nina abd Sabrina,

        Instead of the insertion of v which would be called an "aagama", one should
        follow Kaccaayana's rule 18 (vamodantaana.m) where, in some cases, v is the
        substitute (aadesa) of o or u at the end of a word and before a following
        vowel. The lengthening of a in aaha.m is correct (Kacc 15).

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        << Dear Sabrina,
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
          Dear Jim,
          It is always helpful when you come in. Thank you. I always like to
          hear about the Kaccaayana rules.
          Nina.
          Op 1-aug-2008, om 20:55 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008

            In my previous message, I made an error in quoting Kacc 18 as
            "vamodantaana.m". It should be "vamodudantaana.m" (lit. v [is the
            substitute] of the endings o and u). The vutti or gloss explains it more
            fully.

            Best wishes,
            Jim