Re: [Pali] SN 1,1

  • upasika
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31 8:57 AM
      Nina,
      i'm so sorry for not using Vethius spelling. The verse is:
      Appati.t.tha.m  khvaaha.m  aavuso  anaayuuha.m  oghamatarinti

      sabrina.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
        Dear Sabrina,
        > khvaaha.m: kho+ aha.m
        Kho is a particle for emphasis, transl. as: indeed.
        Here a consonant is inserted between two vowels. A final o (kho)
        followed by a: insertion of v. and then lenghtening of a: aaha.m.
        I use Warder (Ch 23) for my Pali. see also: kho+ ettha-> khvettha.
        > anaayuuha.m: without effort.
        I cannot check the context, since I do not know where in the Sutta
        Nipata it is.
        What you say seems all right.
        Nina.
        Op 31-jul-2008, om 17:57 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
          Thanks a lot, Nina.

          Kho is a particle for emphasis, transl. as: indeed.
          Here a consonant is inserted between two vowels. A final o (kho)
          followed by a: insertion of v. and then lenghtening of a: aaha.m.
          I use Warder (Ch 23) for my Pali. see also: kho+ ettha-> khvettha.
          > anaayuuha.m: without effort.
          I cannot check the context, since I do not know where in the Sutta
          Nipata it is.
          What you say seems all right.
          Nina.
          Op 31-jul-2008, om 17:57 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:

          > Appati.t.tha. m khvaaha.m aavuso anaayuuha.m oghamatarinti
          >

          > Op 30-jul-2008, om 15:44 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:
          >
          > > I need your help with a word in the SN 1,1 Oghatarana Sutta:
          > > Appati.t.tha. m [not standing still] khv_aha.m [¿?] _avuso [friend]
          > > an_ay_uha.m [derived from: an_ay_uhahana = not effort (¿?)]
          > > oghamatari'nti [cross over the river]

        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
            Dear Nina abd Sabrina,

            Instead of the insertion of v which would be called an "aagama", one should
            follow Kaccaayana's rule 18 (vamodantaana.m) where, in some cases, v is the
            substitute (aadesa) of o or u at the end of a word and before a following
            vowel. The lengthening of a in aaha.m is correct (Kacc 15).

            Best wishes,
            Jim

            << Dear Sabrina,
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
              Dear Jim,
              It is always helpful when you come in. Thank you. I always like to
              hear about the Kaccaayana rules.
              Nina.
              Op 1-aug-2008, om 20:55 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008

                In my previous message, I made an error in quoting Kacc 18 as
                "vamodantaana.m". It should be "vamodudantaana.m" (lit. v [is the
                substitute] of the endings o and u). The vutti or gloss explains it more
                fully.

                Best wishes,
                Jim