Re: [Pali] SN 1,1

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31 6:07 AM
      Dear Sabrina,
      please, would you transcribe to Velthuis spelling. Here on the list,
      Pali diacriticals come out funny. Then we can better help you.
      Nina.
      Op 30-jul-2008, om 15:44 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:

      > I need your help with a word in the SN 1,1 Oghatarana Sutta:
      > Appati.t.tha.m [not standing still] khv_aha.m [¿?] _avuso [friend]
      > an_ay_uha.m [derived from: an_ay_uhahana = not effort (¿?)]
      > oghamatari'nti [cross over the river]

    • upasika
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31 8:57 AM
        Nina,
        i'm so sorry for not using Vethius spelling. The verse is:
        Appati.t.tha.m  khvaaha.m  aavuso  anaayuuha.m  oghamatarinti

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
          Dear Sabrina,
          > khvaaha.m: kho+ aha.m
          Kho is a particle for emphasis, transl. as: indeed.
          Here a consonant is inserted between two vowels. A final o (kho)
          followed by a: insertion of v. and then lenghtening of a: aaha.m.
          I use Warder (Ch 23) for my Pali. see also: kho+ ettha-> khvettha.
          > anaayuuha.m: without effort.
          I cannot check the context, since I do not know where in the Sutta
          Nipata it is.
          What you say seems all right.
          Nina.
          Op 31-jul-2008, om 17:57 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
            Thanks a lot, Nina.

            Kho is a particle for emphasis, transl. as: indeed.
            Here a consonant is inserted between two vowels. A final o (kho)
            followed by a: insertion of v. and then lenghtening of a: aaha.m.
            I use Warder (Ch 23) for my Pali. see also: kho+ ettha-> khvettha.
            > anaayuuha.m: without effort.
            I cannot check the context, since I do not know where in the Sutta
            Nipata it is.
            What you say seems all right.
            Nina.
            Op 31-jul-2008, om 17:57 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:

            > Appati.t.tha. m khvaaha.m aavuso anaayuuha.m oghamatarinti
            >

            > Op 30-jul-2008, om 15:44 heeft upasika het volgende geschreven:
            >
            > > I need your help with a word in the SN 1,1 Oghatarana Sutta:
            > > Appati.t.tha. m [not standing still] khv_aha.m [¿?] _avuso [friend]
            > > an_ay_uha.m [derived from: an_ay_uhahana = not effort (¿?)]
            > > oghamatari'nti [cross over the river]

          • Jim Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
              Dear Nina abd Sabrina,

              Instead of the insertion of v which would be called an "aagama", one should
              follow Kaccaayana's rule 18 (vamodantaana.m) where, in some cases, v is the
              substitute (aadesa) of o or u at the end of a word and before a following
              vowel. The lengthening of a in aaha.m is correct (Kacc 15).

              Best wishes,
              Jim

              << Dear Sabrina,
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
                Dear Jim,
                It is always helpful when you come in. Thank you. I always like to
                hear about the Kaccaayana rules.
                Nina.
                Op 1-aug-2008, om 20:55 heeft Jim Anderson het volgende geschreven:

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008

                  In my previous message, I made an error in quoting Kacc 18 as
                  "vamodantaana.m". It should be "vamodudantaana.m" (lit. v [is the
                  substitute] of the endings o and u). The vutti or gloss explains it more
                  fully.

                  Best wishes,
                  Jim