Sabbatthattaya or Sabbattataya

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2002
      Dear Pali friends,

      The Kesaputtiya Sutta in the Anguttara (A 1:192,8) has an interesting word
      in the description of the Four Brahmaviharas from this passage:

      Iti uddha.m adho tiriya.m sabbadhi sabbattataaya sabbaavanta.m loka.m
      mettaa,sahagatena cetasaa...

      which is repeated for each of the other three Brahmavihara.

      PED 681 has sabbatthataaya "on the whole" (references given).

      However, Bhikkhu Bodhi (Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, 1999:66 has "to
      all as to himself", where he apparently reads the word as sabbattataaya. Am
      I right? I think this reading is better but cannot substantiate it.

      Could someone please throw more light on this interesting point.

      Thanks & sukhi.

      P.