what is the cases

  • gsirani
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11 7:01 PM
      Ga.nino sukhino bhavanti

      amhaka.m saamino diigahajiivino na bhavnti

      "Ganino, sukhino, saamino, diighajiviino," what is the case or Vibhakti
      of these words , i tink that they are Nominative (Pa.tama vibkti)
      is it true?
      with metta
      sirani
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11 9:36 PM
        Dear Shirani and Aditya,

        1. the case (kaaraka) is accusative
        2. the case-ending (vibhatti) is .m (for singular masculine -a nouns)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, geekiyanage shirani wrote:

        it is same "i go to  vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the
        mountain is similer  there for it is dutiya. not sattami

        > He carried a monkey to the mountain.
        > here "to the mountain" what is the case or Vibakti
      • Irene
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 13 2:50 PM
          Dear Friend:

          See book page 18:here " 3rd,to the mountain" 13th " to the village "
          must be translate with accusative as giri.m, gaama.m

          7th " to the sages" must be in the dative.because the person to whom
          some thing is given is put in the Dative.

          Irene
          2008.7.14

          Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> 写锟斤拷锟�
          Dear Shirani and Aditya,

          1. the case (kaaraka) is accusative
          2. the case-ending (vibhatti) is .m (for singular masculine -a nouns)

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, geekiyanage shirani wrote:

          it is same "i go to��vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the
          mountain is similer� there for it is dutiya. not sattami

          > He carried a monkey to the mountain.
          > here "to the mountain" what is the case or Vibakti

        • mukta singh
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 16 12:00 AM

            One thing we all must learn is that no language can be completely translated (with all its essence) in English. What seems similar in english, i.e. "to the village" & "to the mountain" is actually different if considered in Pali / Sanskrit (and relatively in Hindi too). In case of mountain, the sense is "on the mountain" and therefore it is different from "to the village".
            The case, in this case, is no doubt sattami.

            with best regards,
            Mukta

            Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> ��

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 16 2:53 AM
              Dear Mukta and friends,

              "to the mountain" -- use accusative case.

              "in the mountain", "on the mountain" -- use locative case.