Re: The Chinese Samantap?s?dik? and its school affiliation

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
      Dear Piya and friends,

      as I noted previously, please avoid non-ASCII characters in messages,
      including the subject heading, to the group. These characters do not
      necessarily show up correctly on emails and web-browsers. They may
      also cause problems to the automatic retrieval system on tipitaka.net.
      Thank you.

    • Bankei
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
        Hello Everyone

        One and a half years later and I have just stumbled on this article, Heirman,
        Ann: The Chinese Samantapasadika and its school
        affiliation<http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/titleinfo/150944>

        available freely on the net.

        Please see:
        http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/structure/144945
        or direct download of the PDF from

        http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/download/pdf/150944?name=The%20Chinese%20Samantapasadika%20and%20its%20school%20affiliation

        A brief summary:
        in 488-489 The Sri Lankan monk, Sanghabhadra partially translated the Pali
        Samantapasidika into Chinese. He probably translated the Mahavihara version
        of the text but he showed some connections to the Abhayagirivihara and he
        adapted the work slightly to the Dharmaguptaka vinaya which was prevalent in
        China at the time.

        Regards

        Bankei