Re: [Pali] The Chinese Samantapā sādikā and its school affiliation

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
      Friends,

      Sorry I don't have this article. However, when badly need a journal article
      I will
      write to the scholar himself or herself,
      first, identifying myself (do not any mysterious Zorro-like identity);
      second, what work I am doing now that is related;
      third, why I am interested in the article.

      So far all the scholars, except a Christian scholar, have replied.

      Oh yes do write early to them, as scholar do no live forever.t

      With best wishes,

      Piya Tan

      On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Jacques Huynen <jhuynen@...> wrote:

      > Can I have both ?
      >
      > J.Huynen
      >
      > --- On Wed, 7/9/08, YOW WEN <freeyow@... <freeyow%40yahoo.co.uk>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: YOW WEN <freeyow@... <freeyow%40yahoo.co.uk>>
      > Subject: Re: [Pali] The Chinese Samantap�s�dik� and its school affiliation
      > To: Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 4:06 AM
      >

      > Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated
      > Samantap�s�dik� or the original Samantap�s�dik� ?
      >

      > with metta,

      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      Tel: 8211 0879
      Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
        Dear Piya and friends,

        as I noted previously, please avoid non-ASCII characters in messages,
        including the subject heading, to the group. These characters do not
        necessarily show up correctly on emails and web-browsers. They may
        also cause problems to the automatic retrieval system on tipitaka.net.
        Thank you.

      • Bankei
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
          Hello Everyone

          One and a half years later and I have just stumbled on this article, Heirman,
          Ann: The Chinese Samantapasadika and its school
          affiliation<http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/titleinfo/150944>

          available freely on the net.

          Please see:
          http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/structure/144945
          or direct download of the PDF from

          http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/download/pdf/150944?name=The%20Chinese%20Samantapasadika%20and%20its%20school%20affiliation

          A brief summary:
          in 488-489 The Sri Lankan monk, Sanghabhadra partially translated the Pali
          Samantapasidika into Chinese. He probably translated the Mahavihara version
          of the text but he showed some connections to the Abhayagirivihara and he
          adapted the work slightly to the Dharmaguptaka vinaya which was prevalent in
          China at the time.

          Regards

          Bankei