Re: [Pali] what is the cases

  • Aditya Thakur
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
      which one is the object here: mountain or the monkey. i think its monkey
      anyways sattami (saptami) is also known as locative case ending in english according to what i know of sanskrit grammer. I dont think it would be different in Pali

      however second case ending or dutiya may hold here by a grammer rule. but sattami is alswys correct to use.

      thanks

      From: Aditya Thakur <thakur.aditya123@ yahoo.com>
      To: Pali@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, 8 July, 2008, 5:30 PM

      The case is seventh...

      So eka.m vaanara.m pabbate nayati

      He/ a monkey to/ the mountains/ takes.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
        it is same "i go to  vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the mountain is similer  there for it is dutiya. not sattami

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
          Ga.nino sukhino bhavanti

          amhaka.m saamino diigahajiivino na bhavnti

          "Ganino, sukhino, saamino, diighajiviino," what is the case or Vibhakti
          of these words , i tink that they are Nominative (Pa.tama vibkti)
          is it true?
          with metta
          sirani
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
            Dear Shirani and Aditya,

            1. the case (kaaraka) is accusative
            2. the case-ending (vibhatti) is .m (for singular masculine -a nouns)

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, geekiyanage shirani wrote:

            it is same "i go to  vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the
            mountain is similer  there for it is dutiya. not sattami

            > He carried a monkey to the mountain.
            > here "to the mountain" what is the case or Vibakti
          • Irene
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 13, 2008
              Dear Friend:

              See book page 18:here " 3rd,to the mountain" 13th " to the village "
              must be translate with accusative as giri.m, gaama.m

              7th " to the sages" must be in the dative.because the person to whom
              some thing is given is put in the Dative.

              Irene
              2008.7.14

              Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> 写锟斤拷锟�
              Dear Shirani and Aditya,

              1. the case (kaaraka) is accusative
              2. the case-ending (vibhatti) is .m (for singular masculine -a nouns)

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, geekiyanage shirani wrote:

              it is same "i go to��vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the
              mountain is similer� there for it is dutiya. not sattami

              > He carried a monkey to the mountain.
              > here "to the mountain" what is the case or Vibakti

            • mukta singh
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008

                One thing we all must learn is that no language can be completely translated (with all its essence) in English. What seems similar in english, i.e. "to the village" & "to the mountain" is actually different if considered in Pali / Sanskrit (and relatively in Hindi too). In case of mountain, the sense is "on the mountain" and therefore it is different from "to the village".
                The case, in this case, is no doubt sattami.

                with best regards,
                Mukta

                Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> ��

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Dear Mukta and friends,

                  "to the mountain" -- use accusative case.

                  "in the mountain", "on the mountain" -- use locative case.