The New Pali Course Part II [8-3/8]

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2008
      2. All beings, who live in land or in water, are not able to support
      their lives without food.

      3. Those who give food, clothes and other things to the beggars, are
      praised by the other people living in those districts.

      4. The Blessed One sat on a jewelled throne, given by the Naaga chiefs
      of Ceylon, when He visited the island.

      5. On the next day, when the priests entered the village, they saw
      that the hall had not been swept, the mats had not been spread, and
      the drinking water had not been placed.

      6. "But now, surrounded by her children and her children's children,
      she walks singing round and round the building." [B.T. 479]

      7. "When Visaakhaa heard the word 'saints' she was greatly
      delighted... But when she came to the place where they were eating,
      and beheld them, she was angry with the treasurer." [B.T. 465]

      8. "Long ago, Aananda, there was a king, by name Mahaa-Sudassana, a
      king of kings... lord of the four quarters of the earth, conqueror,
      the protector of his people." [L.G.B. 217]

      9. "There they passed the day in paying honour, reverence, respect and
      homage to the remains of the Exalted One with dancing and hymns, and
      music, and with garlands and perfumes; and in making canopies." [Ibid.
      229]

      10. "When he had thus spoken the venerable Aananda said to the
      wanderer Subhadda: Enough, friend Subhadda, trouble not the
      Tathaagata. The Exalted One is weary." [Ibid. 220]

      New Words.

      artisan = sippii (m).
      building = geha, paasaada (m).
      district = padesa (m).
      enough = ala.m (indec).
      goldsmith = suva.n.nakaara (m).
      [had been] swept = sammajjita, samma.t.tha (pp).
      [had been] spread = atthata (pp).
      [had been] placed = .thapita.
      hymn = giita (n).
      jewelled throne = ma.nipalla`nka (m).
      mat = kila~nja (m).
      not able = asamattha (adj).
      paying honour = sakkaronta (pr.p).
      paying respect = maanenta (pr.p).
      remains [of the Exalted One] = [Tathaagata-]sariira (n).
      round and round = parisamantato (indec).
      singing = gaayanta (pr.p).
      thing = upakara.na, bha.n.da (n).
      to support = bharitu.m (inf).
      troubles = viheseti (v).
      wanderer = sa~ncaaraka, paribbaajaka (m).
      weary = kilanta (adj).

      (4) Primary Derivatives that are Indeclinable

      155. "-tu.m" and "-tave" are suffixed to the roots or the bases in
      order to form infinitives. (-tave is employed only in verse)

      (1) They are joined with an additional i to the roots ending in a and u.
      (2) They are directly added to the roots ending in aa.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 15, 2008
        (3) The last consonant of some roots is assimilated to t of the suffixes.
        (4) Strengthening of the first vowel sometimes takes place before these.

        (a) "-tu.m" with an additional i
        pacA + i + tu.m = pacitu.m (to cook)
        khaadA + i + tu.m = khaaditu.m (to eat)
        harA + i + tu.m = haritu.m (to carry)
        dhaavu + i + tu.m = dhaavitu.m (to run)

        (i) added to the bases
        su.na + i + tu.m = su.nitu.m (to hear)
        bujjha + i + tu.m = bujjhitu.m (to understand)
        jaana + i + tu.m = jaanitu.m (to know)
        chinda + i + tu.m = chinditu.m (to cut)

        (b) after the roots ending in aa
        daa + tu.m = daatu.m (to give)
        paa + tu.m = paatu.m (to drink)
        .thaa + tu.m = .thaatu.m (to stand)
        ~naa + tu.m = ~naatu.m (to know)
        yaa + tu.m = yaatu.m (to go)

        Root kara becomes kaa before these; then it is treated as a root
        ending in aa.
        kaa + tu.m = kaatu.m (to do)
        kaa + tava = kaatave (to do)

        (c) where assimilation occurs and the radical vowel is strengthened
        karA + tu.m = kattu.m (to do)
        chidA + tu.m = chettu.m (to cut)
        bhujA + tu.m = bhottu.m (to eat, to enjoy)
        padA + tu.m = pattu.m (to arrive or attain)
        harA + tu.m = hattu.m (to carry)
        vadA + tu.m = vattu.m (to say)
        gamU + tu.m = gantu.m (to go)
        labhA + tu.m = laddhu.m (to get)
        budhA + tu.m = boddhu.m (to perceive)

        In the last two examples both bh+t and dh+t have become ddh.

        (d) where "t" is not doubled and strengthening of the vowel takes place
        nii + tu.m = netu.m (to lead or carry)
        ji + tu.m = jetu.m (to conquer)
        su + tu.m = sotu.m (to hear)
        huu + tu.m = hotu.m (to be or become)

        156. To the causal bases, and the bases of the seventh conjugation,
        ending in a, these suffixes are joined with the help of an i. They are
        directly added to those bases ending in e.

        Causal bases
        kaare + tu.m = kaaretu.m,
        kaaraya + i + tu.m = kaarayitu.m (to cause to do)
        maaraape + tu.m = maaraapetu.m,
        maaraapaya + i + tu.m = maaraapayitu.m (to cause to kill)
        gaahe + tu.m = gaahetu.m,
        gaahaapaya + i + tu.m = gaahaapayitu.m (to cause to take)

        Bases of the seventh conjugation
        core + tu.m = coretu.m,
        coraya + i + tu.m = corayitu.m (to steal)
        paale + tu.m = paaletu.m,
        palaya + i + tu.m = paalayitu.m (to protect or govern)
        dese + tu.m = desetu.m,
        desaya + i + tu.m = desayitu.m (to preach)
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 21, 2008
          157. Indeclinable active past participles - or gerunds or absolutives,
          according to some modern grammarians - are formed with the suffixes
          -tvaa, -tvaana, -tuuna, -ya and -tya.

          (1) These may be joined to the roots or bases by means of a connecting i.
          (2) Sometimes the last consonant of the root is dropped before these.
          (3) The final long vowel of a root is sometimes shortened or
          strengthened before these.
          (4) t of the suffixes is dropped or changed together with the last
          consonant of the root in a few cases.

          (a) joined to the roots by means of i
          pacA + i + tvaa = pacitvaa (having cooked)
          karA + i + tvaana = karitvaana (having done)
          vandA + i + tuuna = vandituuna (having bowed down)

          (i) joined to the bases
          bhu~njA + i + tvaa = bhu~njitvaa (having eaten)
          sayA + i + tvaana = sayitvaana (having slept)
          su.nA + i + tuuna = su.nituuna (having heard)
          jahA + i + tvaa = jahitvaa (having abandoned)

          (b) where the last consonant is dropped
          karA + tvaa = katvaa (having done)
          hanA + tvaa = hatvaa (having killed)
          bhujA + tvaa = butvaa (having eaten)
          padA + tvaa = patvaa (having come or arrived)
          cajA + tvaa = catvaa (having abandoned)
          chidA + tvaa = chetvaa (having cut or broken)
          bhidA + tvaa = bhetvaa (having broken or opened)

          (c) final vowel shortened or strengthened
          daa + tvaa = datvaa (having given)
          nii + tvaa = netvaa (having carried)
          huu + tvaa = hutvaa (having been)
          ~naa + tvaa = ~natvaa (having known)
          .thaa + tvaa = .thatvaa (having stood or stayed)

          (d) t of suffix is dropped or changed
          disa + tvaa = disvaa (having seen)
          labha + tvaa = laddhaa (having gotten)

          (e) where nothing but the elison of the final vowel of the root has
          taken place
          hanA + tvaa = hantvaa (having killed)
          manA + tvaa = mantvaa (having thought)
          nii + tvaa = niitvaa (having carried)
          yaa + tvaa = yaatvaa (having gone)
          paa + tvaa = paatvaa (having drunk)

          In gamU + tvaa = gantvaa (having gone), m is changed to n.

          158. -ya is assimilated, in many cases, to the last consonant of the
          root; it is directly added to the roots ending in a long vowel.

          (1) Directly added:
          aa + daa + ya = aadaaya (having taken)
          pa + haa + ya = pahaaya (having abandoned)
          aa + nii + ya = aaniiya (having brought)
          aa + ~naa + ya = a~n~naaya (having known)

          (2) Assimilated with the preceding consonant:
          aa + gamU + ya = aagamya = aagamma (having come)
          ni + sadA + ya = nisadya = nisajja (having sat)
        • freeyow
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23, 2008
            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <pali.smith@...> wrote:

            > 157. Indeclinable active past participles - or gerunds or
            absolutives,
            > according to some modern grammarians - are formed with the suffixes
            > -tvaa, -tvaana, -tuuna, -ya and -tya.

            Hello, may I know where could I found for all pali course posted by
            you?

            thx in advance.

            Yow
          • ong.yongpeng
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2008
              Dear Yow,

              the posts in this series comes from Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta's book. The
              series is broken down in eight parts, and each part has a series of
              eight posts.

              If you browse any post in this part, for example, on the web (i.e. on
              Yahoo! Groups), you will find all mails for the part by scrolling
              towards the bottom of the page.

              The same applies to all other topics and threads.

              This series is ending in two weeks' time. On the final post, I will
              include links to all eight parts, for those who like to revisit the
              individual postings again.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2008
                aa + kamU + ya = akkamya = akkamma (having trodden)
                u + padA + ya = uppadya = uppajja (having been born or arisen)
                upa + labhA + ya = upalabbhya = upalabbha (having got)
                pa + madA + ya = pamadya = pamajja (having delayed, being negligent)
                aa + rabhA + ya = aarabhya = aarabbha (having begun, on account of,
                concerning)
                pa + visA + ya = pavisya = pavissa (having entered)
                vi + bhajA + ya = vibhajya = vibhajja (having divided)

                (3) -y is interchanged with the last consonant if the latter is "h":

                aa + ruhA + ya = aaruhya = aaruyha (having ascended)
                gahA + ya = gahya = gayha (having taken)
                sa.m + muhA + ya = sammuhya = sammuyha (having forgotten)
                pa + gahA + ya = paggahya = paggayha (having raised or held up)

                (4) Sometimes -y is reduplicated:

                vi + nii + ya = vineyya (having removed)
                vi + ci + ya = viceyya (having considered)

                159. -tya is always changed to cca together or without the last
                consonant of the root.

                upa + hanA + tya = upahacca (having vexed)
                aa + hanA + tya = aahacca (having knocked or struck)
                pa.ti + i (to go or know) + tya = pa.ticca (following upon, on account of)
                anu + vidA + tya = anuvicca (having known or considered)
                ava + i + tya = avecca (having understood)
                upa + i + tya = upecca (having come near)
                ni + padA + tya = nipacca (having bowed down)
                ni + hanA + tya = nihacca (having knocked down)
                sa.m + karA + tya = sakkacca (carefully, respectfully)
                vi + vicA + tya = vivicca (having separated)

                Exercise 26

                Translate into English and point out the primary derivatives

                1. "Ra~n~naa pana vandite Bhagavanta.m avanditvaa .thaatu.m samattho
                naama eko pi Saakiyo naahosi." [J.Nidaana]

                2. Raajaa sa.mvigga-hadayo hatthena saa.taka.m sa.n.thapento
                turita-turita.m nikkhamitvaa vegena gantvaa Bhagavato purato .thatvaa
                aaha: ... Ki.m ettakaana.m bhikkhuuna.m na sakkaa bhatta.m laddhun ti
                sa~n~na.m karitthaa? ti." [Ibid.]

                3. "Andha-baala-pitara.m nissaaya evaruupa.m Buddha.m
                upasa`nkamiitvaa... daana.m vaa daatu.m dhamma.m vaa sotu.m
                naalattha.m; a~n~na.m kattabba.m natthii ti manam eva pasaadesi."
                [Dh.A.i.27]

                4. "Bhikkhuu tassa gharadvaarena gacchantaa ta.m sadda.m sutvaa
                vihaara.m gantvaa Satthusantike nisinnaa evam aaha.msu." [Ibid. i.127]

                5. "Tato so tatiye vasse
                Naagindo Ma.niakkhiko
                Upasa`nkamma Sambuddha.m
                Saha sa`ngha.m nimantayi." [Mahaava.msa i.71]
              • ong.yongpeng
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2 3:38 AM
                  6. "Bhuusaapetvaana nagara.m
                  Gantvaa sa`ngha.m nimantiya,
                  Gharan netvaana bhojetvaa
                  Datvaa saama.naka.m bahu.m:
                  Satthaaraa desito dhammo
                  Kittako? ti apucchatha." [Ibid. V.76]

                  7. "Bhavanaa abhinikkhamma
                  Addasa.m Lokanaayaka.m." [Apa.]

                  8. "Sac'aaya.m putto tumhe pa.ticca jaato, aakaase ti.t.thatu; no ce
                  patitvaa maratuu ti." [J. Ka.t.thahaari]

                  9. Vivicc'eva kaamehi vivicca akusalehi dhammehi pa.thamajjhaana.m
                  upasampajja viharati.

                  10. "Sabbe sa`ngamma mantetvaa
                  Maala.m kubbanti Satthuno." [Apa.56]

                  New Words.

                  addasa.m (v) [I] saw.
                  andha-baala (adj) very foolish [lit. blindly].
                  apucchatha (v) [he] asked.
                  abhinikkhamma (abs) having come out.
                  upasampajja (abs) having attained or been ordained.
                  upasa`nkamma (abs) having approached.
                  ettaka (adj) this much.
                  evaruupa (adj) of this sort, such.
                  kaama (m) sensual pleasure.
                  kittaka (adj) how much.
                  kubbati (v) does.
                  turita-turita.m (adv) quickly.
                  naaginda (m) Naaga chief.
                  naalattha.m (v) [I] did not get.
                  nimantayii (v) [he] invited.
                  nimantiya (abs) having invited.
                  bhavana (n) mansion.
                  bhuusaapetvaa (abs) having caused to be decorated.
                  mantetvaa (abs) having consulted.
                  vandita (pp) worshipped.
                  vegena (adv) speedily.
                  sa`ngamma (abs) having gathered together.
                  san.thapenta (pr.p) adjusting.
                  sa~n~na.m karoti (v) thinks.
                  saama.naka (adj) things that are suitable for the use of monks.

                  Translate into Pali, using primary derivatives where it is possible

                  1. The farmers having ploughed the field and sowed the paddy expected
                  to have a good harvest.

                  2. All righteous people should make up their minds to do justice even
                  to their enemies.

                  3. Having found no preceptor in that monastery, the monk approached
                  the Master in order to obtain a topic for meditation.

                  4. How much money should one have to make a mansion of seven storeys.

                  5. Having fallen from the top of a tall tree, the lad broke his right
                  arm, but there was none to take him to a physician.

                  6. I shall make a strong determination to win the hearts of my friends.

                  7. Calling him a fool and idiot the citizens drove him out of the capital.

                  8. If you cannot be good, you should at least try not to be bad.

                  9. Both, in this world and in the next, the sinner having suffered the
                  results of his (evil) actions, courses through samsaara for a long time.
                • ong.yongpeng
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 8 3:08 AM
                    10. Leaving off doubt and increasing faith in the Exalted One, practise virtues in order to
                    attain Arahatship.

                    New Words.

                    at least = antamaso (adv).
                    calling [a fool] = [baalo ti] vadantaa (pr.p).
                    capital [city] = raajadhaani (f).
                    determination, strong = adhi.t.thaana (n).
                    doubt = ka`nkhaa, vicikicchaa (f).
                    expects = aagameti (v).
                    good, bad = [use here] dhammika, adhammika (adj).
                    harvest = dha~n~naphala (n).
                    having sowed = vapitvaa (abs).
                    having suffered = anubhavitvaa, vinditvaa (abs).
                    idiot = e.lamuuga (m).
                    increasing = va.d.dhenta (pr.p).
                    justice = yutti (f).
                    leaving off = [use here] vitaritvaa (abs).
                    practises = rakkhati, pa.tipajjati (v).
                    right [arm] = dakkhi.na-[baahu] (m).
                    righteous = dhammika (adj).
                    should have = labhitabba (pot.p).
                    should make up [the mind] = [citta.m] pa.nidahitabba.m or kaatabba.m (pot.p).
                    top = matthaka, agga (m).
                    topic for meditation = kamma.t.thaana (n).
                    to win the hearts = mana.m gahetu.m.

                    * The book ends here. Please consult the web version on tipitaka.net in coming weeks for
                    the complete text.

                    * All previous mail headings:
                  • ong.yongpeng
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 8 5:18 PM

                      the postings from the book is completed. The remaining vocabulary section will only be
                      available on the web at a later date.

                      If you are working through the exercises, please check out postings from Florent and
                      myself for suggested solutions. I am also preparing a study guide as I work through the
                      book. The guide currently covers right through exercise 17, and is available in PDF format
                      on tipitaka.net.

                      Singapore celebrates National Day on August 9, so allow me to take this opportunity to
                      wish everyone, in Singapore and abroad, semoga bahagia (may you achieve happiness).