Re: [Pali] what is the cases

  • geekiyanage shirani
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2008
      it must be not Sattami, (pabbate is sattamii vibakti) i think it must be dutiya,
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2008
        which one is the object here: mountain or the monkey. i think its monkey
        anyways sattami (saptami) is also known as locative case ending in english according to what i know of sanskrit grammer. I dont think it would be different in Pali

        however second case ending or dutiya may hold here by a grammer rule. but sattami is alswys correct to use.

        thanks

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
          it is same "i go to  vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the mountain is similer  there for it is dutiya. not sattami

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
            Ga.nino sukhino bhavanti

            amhaka.m saamino diigahajiivino na bhavnti

            "Ganino, sukhino, saamino, diighajiviino," what is the case or Vibhakti
            of these words , i tink that they are Nominative (Pa.tama vibkti)
            is it true?
            with metta
            sirani
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2008
              Dear Shirani and Aditya,

              1. the case (kaaraka) is accusative
              2. the case-ending (vibhatti) is .m (for singular masculine -a nouns)

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, geekiyanage shirani wrote:

              it is same "i go to  vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the
              mountain is similer  there for it is dutiya. not sattami

              > He carried a monkey to the mountain.
              > here "to the mountain" what is the case or Vibakti
            • Irene
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 13, 2008
                Dear Friend:

                See book page 18:here " 3rd,to the mountain" 13th " to the village "
                must be translate with accusative as giri.m, gaama.m

                7th " to the sages" must be in the dative.because the person to whom
                some thing is given is put in the Dative.

                Irene
                2008.7.14

                Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@...> 写锟斤拷锟�
                Dear Shirani and Aditya,

                1. the case (kaaraka) is accusative
                2. the case-ending (vibhatti) is .m (for singular masculine -a nouns)

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, geekiyanage shirani wrote:

                it is same "i go to��vilage" here vilage is dutiya vibakti . to the
                mountain is similer� there for it is dutiya. not sattami

                > He carried a monkey to the mountain.
                > here "to the mountain" what is the case or Vibakti

              • mukta singh
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Dear friends,

                  One thing we all must learn is that no language can be completely translated (with all its essence) in English. What seems similar in english, i.e. "to the village" & "to the mountain" is actually different if considered in Pali / Sanskrit (and relatively in Hindi too). In case of mountain, the sense is "on the mountain" and therefore it is different from "to the village".
                  The case, in this case, is no doubt sattami.

                  with best regards,
                  Mukta

                  Ong Yong Peng <pali.smith@gmail. com> ��

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                    Dear Mukta and friends,

                    "to the mountain" -- use accusative case.

                    "in the mountain", "on the mountain" -- use locative case.