Re: [Pali] The Chinese Samantapāsādikā and its school affiliation

  • YOW WEN
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated Samantapāsādikā  or the original Samantapāsādikā ?

      with metta,

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
        Hello Bankei,

        Yes I would like to get a copy of the article by Ann Heirman.

        Thanks in advance with metta,

        Jacques

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
          Dear Bankei and friends,

          please avoid using non-ASCII characters in emails to the group. Please
          use Velthuis instead. The following page contains information for
          those not familiar with Velthuis.

          http://www.tipitaka.net/forge/pdf/

          I also like to include a list of Sanskrit diacritical characters and
          Velthuis equivalents on the page, in case someone may need it in the
          future. Is there anyone with a list handy? Thanks.

        • Jacques Huynen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2008
            Can I have both ?

            J.Huynen

            Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated Samantapāsādikā  or the original Samantapāsādikā ?

            with metta,

            Ann Heirman has written an article "The Chinese Samantapāsādikā and
            its school affiliation" , in German Journal called Zeitschrift der
            Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft (ZDMG), Vol 155.

            Would anyone have a copy of this article which they could share?

            Thanks in advance

            Bankei

            ------------ --------- --------- ------

            Not happy with your email address?.
            Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs yahoo.com/ ymail/new. html

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
              Friends,

              Sorry I don't have this article. However, when badly need a journal article
              I will
              write to the scholar himself or herself,
              first, identifying myself (do not any mysterious Zorro-like identity);
              second, what work I am doing now that is related;
              third, why I am interested in the article.

              So far all the scholars, except a Christian scholar, have replied.

              Oh yes do write early to them, as scholar do no live forever.t

              With best wishes,

              Piya Tan

              On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Jacques Huynen <jhuynen@...> wrote:

              > Can I have both ?
              >
              > J.Huynen
              >
              > --- On Wed, 7/9/08, YOW WEN <freeyow@... <freeyow%40yahoo.co.uk>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > From: YOW WEN <freeyow@... <freeyow%40yahoo.co.uk>>
              > Subject: Re: [Pali] The Chinese Samantap�s�dik� and its school affiliation
              > To: Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 4:06 AM
              >

              > Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated
              > Samantap�s�dik� or the original Samantap�s�dik� ?
              >

              > with metta,

              The Minding Centre
              Singapore 650644
              Tel: 8211 0879
              Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
                Dear Piya and friends,

                as I noted previously, please avoid non-ASCII characters in messages,
                including the subject heading, to the group. These characters do not
                necessarily show up correctly on emails and web-browsers. They may
                also cause problems to the automatic retrieval system on tipitaka.net.
                Thank you.

              • Bankei
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
                  Hello Everyone

                  One and a half years later and I have just stumbled on this article, Heirman,
                  Ann: The Chinese Samantapasadika and its school
                  affiliation<http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/titleinfo/150944>

                  available freely on the net.

                  Please see:
                  http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/structure/144945
                  or direct download of the PDF from

                  http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/download/pdf/150944?name=The%20Chinese%20Samantapasadika%20and%20its%20school%20affiliation

                  A brief summary:
                  in 488-489 The Sri Lankan monk, Sanghabhadra partially translated the Pali
                  Samantapasidika into Chinese. He probably translated the Mahavihara version
                  of the text but he showed some connections to the Abhayagirivihara and he
                  adapted the work slightly to the Dharmaguptaka vinaya which was prevalent in
                  China at the time.

                  Regards

                  Bankei