The Chinese Samantapāsādikā and its school affiliation

  • Bankei
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
      Ann Heirman has written an article "The Chinese Samantapāsādikā and
      its school affiliation", in German Journal called Zeitschrift der
      Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft (ZDMG), Vol 155.

      Would anyone have a copy of this article which they could share?

      Thanks in advance

      Bankei
    • YOW WEN
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
        Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated Samantapāsādikā  or the original Samantapāsādikā ?

        with metta,

        Ann Heirman has written an article "The Chinese Samantapāsādikā and
        its school affiliation", in German Journal called Zeitschrift der
        Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft (ZDMG), Vol 155.

        Would anyone have a copy of this article which they could share?

        Thanks in advance

        Bankei

        ------------------------------------

      • Jacques Huynen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
          Hello Bankei,

          Yes I would like to get a copy of the article by Ann Heirman.

          Thanks in advance with metta,

          Jacques

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
            Dear Bankei and friends,

            please avoid using non-ASCII characters in emails to the group. Please
            use Velthuis instead. The following page contains information for
            those not familiar with Velthuis.

            http://www.tipitaka.net/forge/pdf/

            I also like to include a list of Sanskrit diacritical characters and
            Velthuis equivalents on the page, in case someone may need it in the
            future. Is there anyone with a list handy? Thanks.

          • Jacques Huynen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2008
              Can I have both ?

              J.Huynen

              Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated Samantapāsādikā  or the original Samantapāsādikā ?

              with metta,

              Ann Heirman has written an article "The Chinese Samantapāsādikā and
              its school affiliation" , in German Journal called Zeitschrift der
              Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft (ZDMG), Vol 155.

              Would anyone have a copy of this article which they could share?

              Thanks in advance

              Bankei

              ------------ --------- --------- ------

              Not happy with your email address?.
              Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs yahoo.com/ ymail/new. html

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
                Friends,

                Sorry I don't have this article. However, when badly need a journal article
                I will
                write to the scholar himself or herself,
                first, identifying myself (do not any mysterious Zorro-like identity);
                second, what work I am doing now that is related;
                third, why I am interested in the article.

                So far all the scholars, except a Christian scholar, have replied.

                Oh yes do write early to them, as scholar do no live forever.t

                With best wishes,

                Piya Tan

                On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Jacques Huynen <jhuynen@...> wrote:

                > Can I have both ?
                >
                > J.Huynen
                >
                > --- On Wed, 7/9/08, YOW WEN <freeyow@... <freeyow%40yahoo.co.uk>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: YOW WEN <freeyow@... <freeyow%40yahoo.co.uk>>
                > Subject: Re: [Pali] The Chinese Samantap�s�dik� and its school affiliation
                > To: Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 4:06 AM
                >

                > Hello, may I ask again, do you want to get the chinese translated
                > Samantap�s�dik� or the original Samantap�s�dik� ?
                >

                > with metta,

                The Minding Centre
                Singapore 650644
                Tel: 8211 0879
                Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11, 2008
                  Dear Piya and friends,

                  as I noted previously, please avoid non-ASCII characters in messages,
                  including the subject heading, to the group. These characters do not
                  necessarily show up correctly on emails and web-browsers. They may
                  also cause problems to the automatic retrieval system on tipitaka.net.
                  Thank you.

                • Bankei
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 21, 2009
                    Hello Everyone

                    One and a half years later and I have just stumbled on this article, Heirman,
                    Ann: The Chinese Samantapasadika and its school
                    affiliation<http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/titleinfo/150944>

                    available freely on the net.

                    Please see:
                    http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/dmg/periodical/structure/144945
                    or direct download of the PDF from

                    http://menadoc.bibliothek.uni-halle.de/download/pdf/150944?name=The%20Chinese%20Samantapasadika%20and%20its%20school%20affiliation

                    A brief summary:
                    in 488-489 The Sri Lankan monk, Sanghabhadra partially translated the Pali
                    Samantapasidika into Chinese. He probably translated the Mahavihara version
                    of the text but he showed some connections to the Abhayagirivihara and he
                    adapted the work slightly to the Dharmaguptaka vinaya which was prevalent in
                    China at the time.

                    Regards

                    Bankei