Re: [Pali] Pali and Sinhala

  • gurusinha sena
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
      You can get the CD " Teach yourself Pali in English" from Singapore Buddhist Meditation centre. It is very good. You can wirte to them. weragodas@...

      --- On Tue, 25/3/08, dkotschessa <dkotschessa@...> wrote:

      From: dkotschessa <dkotschessa@...>
      Subject: [Pali] Pali and Sinhala
      To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, 25 March, 2008, 2:27 PM

      Could somebody help me better understand the relationship between Pali
      and the Sinhala language?

      My impression (perhaps mistaken) is that it's the closest living
      language there is to Pali. I am basing this off of some things I
      thought I heard from Bhante Gunaratana.

      Recently I was at the Bhavana society and was going to ask him, but I
      didn't get a chance. It just seems that the Pali flows from his lips
      so fluidly you'd think it was his first language. Of course this
      could also be attributed to the fact that he seems to have an Ananda-
      like capacity for remembering things.

      Would learning Sinhala help one learn Pali? Not that it's something I
      plan on doing any time soon, but I am interested in understanding the
      richness of the language rather than just becoming a kind of
      dictionary with feet.

      -DaveK