The New Pali Course Part II [7-7/8]

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 20, 2008
      Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

      5. Then the householder thinking that sitting there he would see his
      son, sitting at the same place, became glad, and having saluted the
      Blessed One, sat down near Him.

      6. "Then, as he went along, he saw the peasants ploughing, the fields
      in soiled garments, covered with dust blown by hot winds." [Ps.B.47]

      7. "All the while she was talking, the Brahmans were beholding the
      splendour of her teeth... and having applauded her speech, they took
      the gold wreath, and placed it on her head." [B.T.457]

      8. "The day before she was to depart, the treasurer sat in his room
      and had his daughter sit by him, and he admonished her, telling the
      rules of conduct she should adopt when she came to dwell in her
      husband's family." [Ibid. 462]

      9. "Migaara the treasurer rode in a conveyance behind the others, and
      beholding a great crowd of people following, he asked, 'Pray, who are
      these?'" [Ibid. 463]

      10. "So she entered the city standing in her chariot, and showing
      herself to the whole town." [Ibid. 461]

      New Words.

      aged = mahallaka, vuddha (adj).
      anointed = abbha~njita (pp).
      announces = aaroceti (v).
      applauds = abhitthavati (v).
      as he went along = use the locative of "gacchanta".
      battlefield = yuddhabhuumi (f).
      bearing = dhaarenta (pr.p).
      behind = pacchato (indec).
      beholding = passanta (pr.p).
      blown [by wind] = vaayita.
      conveyance = yaana (n).
      disappeared = antarahita (pp).
      driving = paajenta (pr.p).
      fallen = patita (pp).
      great crowd = mahaasamuuha (m).
      honoured = maanita (pp).
      leaning on a staff = da.n.da-paraaya.na (adj).
      moves off = apagacchati (v).
      peasant = gaamika, jaanapadika (m).
      praised = abhitthuta, pasa.msita (pp).
      pray [use an addressing word like bho here].
      respected = garukata (pp).
      roof-gable = gopaanasii (f).
      rules of conduct = sikkhaa (f). samaacaara (m).
      should be adopted = vattetabba (pot.p).
      soiled = malina, pa.msumakkhita (pp).
      splendour of teeth = danta-kalyaa.na (n).
      talking = kathenta (pr.p).
      telling = vadanta (pr.p).
      tottering = pavedhamaana (pr.p).
      would be fitting = yutta (pp).
      wounded = paharita, va.nita, khata (pp).

      (3) Primary Derivatives that are not Participles

      (These are active and do not denote any particular tense.)

      151. ".Na" may be suffixed to transitive roots when there is an object
      before them.

      kumbha.m + karA + .na = kumbhakaara (potter)
      ratha.m + karA + .na = rathakaara (chariot maker, carpenter)
      gantha.m + karA + .na = ganthakaara (author of a book)
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 20, 2008
        Gabriel,

        > But besides the grammar does the Saddaniti, Suttamala say
        > something about the meaning of the root “Buddh”?

        The root is "budh", not "buddh".

        > As I posted before the article that I found mention three
        > meanings for “Buddha”:

        1-to know, understand (avagamana)

        2-Awake or destruction of the sleep state (niddakkhaya,)

        3-open or blossom (vikasana)

        ==============
        Jim: I have checked the Dhaatumaalaa of the Saddaniiti (Smtih's ed.).

        It has the following four entries for the root "budh":

        517 budha bodhane
        1132 budha avagamane
        1133 budha bodhane
        1206 budhi hi.msaaya.m (to injure, harm)

        We can disregard the last one as it is the root for the verb "bundheti" and
        the noun "palibodho" and has nothing to do with the noun "buddha". In the
        entry for 1132, the Saddaniiti glosses "avagamana.m" with "jaanana.m"
        (knowing) and in 1133, "bodhane" is explained as including the following:
        budha ~naa.ne, budha vikasane, budha niddakkhaye. So your no. 2 and 3 belong
        under "budha bodhane". For studying the traditional explanation of the word
        "buddha", the Khuddakapaa.tha commentarial passage fhat Nina quoted from, in
        part, is a good place to start. But I do find it and the Pali text difficult
        to follow and grasp. Reading the translation probably won't be enough for
        the serious student. One has to delve into it deep and devote many hours of
        further study for a better understanding. And have the resources at hand to
        work with.

        Best wishes,
        Jim
      • Gabriel Jaeger
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 21, 2008
          Dear Jim,

          Thanks very much!

          How could I get access to the Khuddakapaa.tha in páli that you found?

          With metta,

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 22, 2008
            Dear Gabriel,

            The passage (a couole of pages) is in the commentary to the Khuddakapaa.tha.
            I could extract it from CST4 and send it to you by email offlist. Just let
            me know whether you would like it in the unicode or velthuis encoding. You
            could also try tipitaka.org.

            Best wishes,
            Jim

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 24, 2008
              Dear Jim,

              Thanks very much for your attention.

              Please, if you could send in both Unicode and velthuis encoding, would be very kind.

              Thanks again,

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 25, 2008
                Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                patta.m + gahA + .na = pattagaaha (bearer of a bowl)
                sukha.m + kamU + .na = sukhakaama (seeking comfort)
                tanta.m + ve + .na = tantavaaya (weaver)
                kamma.m + karA + .na = kammakaara (worker, labourer)

                A. y is inserted between .na and the roots ending with a long aa.

                daana.m + daa + .na = daanadaaya (alms-giver)
                dha~n~na.m + maa + .na = dha~n~namaaya (measurer of corn)

                B. Some gerundial nouns too are formed with this suffix.

                pacA + .na = paaka (cooking)
                gahA + .na = gaaha (taking)
                cajA + .na = caaga (leaving, forsaking)
                harA + .na = haara (carrying)

                152. -a, -aka, -ana, -aavii and -tu are suffixed to the roots when
                there is an object before them.

                (1) suffix -a

                dhamma.m + dharA + a = dhammadhara (learned in the Norm)
                hita.m + karA + a = hitakara (benefactor, advantageous)
                dina.m + karA + a = dinakara (sun, maker of the day)
                dhanu.m + gahA + a = dhanuggaha (archer)
                sabba.m + daa + a = sabbada (donor of everything)
                majja.m + paa + a = majjapa (drunkard)

                When there are nouns in cases other than that of the object before the
                roots:-
                vane + carA + a = vanacara (a forester, wanderer in forests)
                thale + .thaa + a = thala.t.tha (situated or living on the land)
                jale + .thaa + a = jala.t.tha (situated in or on the water)
                sirasmi.m + ruhA + a = siroruha (hair. lit. grown on the head)

                (2) -aka (sometimes requires strengthening)

                daa (to give) + aka = daayaka (giver), y is inserted
                nii (to lead) + aka = neaka = naayaka (leader), e becomes ay
                karA + aka = kaaraka (doer)
                su + aka = soaka = saavaka (hearer, disciple), o becomes av
                pu (to clean) + aka = paavaka (fire)
                gahA + aka = gaahaka (taker, bearer)
                yaacA + aka = yaacaka (beggar)
                paalA + aka = paalaka (protector)

                (3) some gerunds are formed with -ana

                gahA + ana = gahana (taking, holding)
                nandA (to be glad) + ana = nandana (rejoicing)
                bhujA (to eat) + ana = bhojana (food, feeding)
                su + ana = sava.na (hearing)
                pacA + ana = pacana (cooking)
                bhuu + ana = bhavana (becoming)

                (4) -aavii

                bhaya.m + disA (to see) + aavii = bhayadassaavii (one who sees
                danger), disa becomes dassa

                (5) -tu

                A. Last consonant of the root before this is sometimes assimilated to t.
                karA + tu = kattu (doer, maker, author)
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Dear Gabriel and friends,
                  I installed VRI for the Pali diacritical signs. A friend very kindly
                  gave me a pad to convert text into Velthuis.
                  I like to share it. You put the Pali with diacritical signs to the
                  left side and to the right will come the Velthuis.
                  http://www.library.websangha.org/earlybuddhism/convertpad.htm

                  Nina.

                  Op 24-jun-2008, om 17:26 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 26, 2008
                    Thanks Nina, very useful device.

                    With metta,

                    Piya Tan

                    On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Gabriel and friends,
                    > I installed VRI for the Pali diacritical signs. A friend very kindly
                    > gave me a pad to convert text into Velthuis.
                    > I like to share it. You put the Pali with diacritical signs to the
                    > left side and to the right will come the Velthuis.
                    > http://www.library.websangha.org/earlybuddhism/convertpad.htm
                    >
                    > Nina.
                    >
                    > Op 24-jun-2008, om 17:26 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:
                    >
                    > > Please, if you could send in both Unicode and velthuis encoding,
                    > > would be very kind.

                    The Minding Centre
                    Singapore 650644
                    Tel: 8211 0879