RE: [Pali] Re: buddha

  • Gabriel Jaeger
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 19, 2008
      Thanks Jim.

      But besides the grammar does the Saddaniti, Suttamala say something about the meaning of the root “Buddh”?

      As I posted before the article that I found mention three meanings for “Buddha”:

      1-to know, understand (avagamana)

      2-Awake or destruction of the sleep state (niddakkhaya,)

      3-open or blossom (vikasana)

      It says that this three meanings have as source the texts edited in the sixth Buddhist Council
      Visuddhimagga, i 203.
      Sìlakkhandhavagga Åìka pág. 10.
      Saddanìti, Dhàtumàlà, pág. 228, 230.
      Saddanìti, Suttamàlà, §1144.

      I find a passage in the “Visuddhimagga” that seems to be related with the meaning of the option “3”:

      [[[[SL Page 231] [\x 231/]
      Bujjhitvā vikasamānamiva padumaṃ sukaṃ nibbikāraṃ paṭibujjhati [PTS Page 312] [\q 312/] ]]]] (Visuddhimagga- "The Path of Purification")

      For my poor pali knowledge I was not able to grasp the full meaning of this passage e so I am not sure about its relation with the third meaning…could anyone helps with that?

      I did not find the text “Sìlakkhandhavagga Åìka pág. 10.” To check if it contains any passages relating with the three meanings given too… Does anyone know about it?

      Regarding the Saddanìti, Dhàtumàlà and the Saddanìti, Suttamàlà as I do not have Access to this books at hand I could not check. Does anyone have them and would be able to check what it says about the words “buddha”, “avagamana”, “niddhakkhaya” and “vikasana”?

      Wonderful the opportunity to learn about the full meaning of the Word buddha!

      Thanks to all!

      All the best,

      Gabriel

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 20, 2008
        Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

        5. Then the householder thinking that sitting there he would see his
        son, sitting at the same place, became glad, and having saluted the
        Blessed One, sat down near Him.

        6. "Then, as he went along, he saw the peasants ploughing, the fields
        in soiled garments, covered with dust blown by hot winds." [Ps.B.47]

        7. "All the while she was talking, the Brahmans were beholding the
        splendour of her teeth... and having applauded her speech, they took
        the gold wreath, and placed it on her head." [B.T.457]

        8. "The day before she was to depart, the treasurer sat in his room
        and had his daughter sit by him, and he admonished her, telling the
        rules of conduct she should adopt when she came to dwell in her
        husband's family." [Ibid. 462]

        9. "Migaara the treasurer rode in a conveyance behind the others, and
        beholding a great crowd of people following, he asked, 'Pray, who are
        these?'" [Ibid. 463]

        10. "So she entered the city standing in her chariot, and showing
        herself to the whole town." [Ibid. 461]

        New Words.

        aged = mahallaka, vuddha (adj).
        anointed = abbha~njita (pp).
        announces = aaroceti (v).
        applauds = abhitthavati (v).
        as he went along = use the locative of "gacchanta".
        battlefield = yuddhabhuumi (f).
        bearing = dhaarenta (pr.p).
        behind = pacchato (indec).
        beholding = passanta (pr.p).
        blown [by wind] = vaayita.
        conveyance = yaana (n).
        disappeared = antarahita (pp).
        driving = paajenta (pr.p).
        fallen = patita (pp).
        great crowd = mahaasamuuha (m).
        honoured = maanita (pp).
        leaning on a staff = da.n.da-paraaya.na (adj).
        moves off = apagacchati (v).
        peasant = gaamika, jaanapadika (m).
        praised = abhitthuta, pasa.msita (pp).
        pray [use an addressing word like bho here].
        respected = garukata (pp).
        roof-gable = gopaanasii (f).
        rules of conduct = sikkhaa (f). samaacaara (m).
        should be adopted = vattetabba (pot.p).
        soiled = malina, pa.msumakkhita (pp).
        splendour of teeth = danta-kalyaa.na (n).
        talking = kathenta (pr.p).
        telling = vadanta (pr.p).
        tottering = pavedhamaana (pr.p).
        would be fitting = yutta (pp).
        wounded = paharita, va.nita, khata (pp).

        (3) Primary Derivatives that are not Participles

        (These are active and do not denote any particular tense.)

        151. ".Na" may be suffixed to transitive roots when there is an object
        before them.

        kumbha.m + karA + .na = kumbhakaara (potter)
        ratha.m + karA + .na = rathakaara (chariot maker, carpenter)
        gantha.m + karA + .na = ganthakaara (author of a book)
      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 20, 2008
          Gabriel,

          > But besides the grammar does the Saddaniti, Suttamala say
          > something about the meaning of the root “Buddh”?

          The root is "budh", not "buddh".

          > As I posted before the article that I found mention three
          > meanings for “Buddha”:

          1-to know, understand (avagamana)

          2-Awake or destruction of the sleep state (niddakkhaya,)

          3-open or blossom (vikasana)

          ==============
          Jim: I have checked the Dhaatumaalaa of the Saddaniiti (Smtih's ed.).

          It has the following four entries for the root "budh":

          517 budha bodhane
          1132 budha avagamane
          1133 budha bodhane
          1206 budhi hi.msaaya.m (to injure, harm)

          We can disregard the last one as it is the root for the verb "bundheti" and
          the noun "palibodho" and has nothing to do with the noun "buddha". In the
          entry for 1132, the Saddaniiti glosses "avagamana.m" with "jaanana.m"
          (knowing) and in 1133, "bodhane" is explained as including the following:
          budha ~naa.ne, budha vikasane, budha niddakkhaye. So your no. 2 and 3 belong
          under "budha bodhane". For studying the traditional explanation of the word
          "buddha", the Khuddakapaa.tha commentarial passage fhat Nina quoted from, in
          part, is a good place to start. But I do find it and the Pali text difficult
          to follow and grasp. Reading the translation probably won't be enough for
          the serious student. One has to delve into it deep and devote many hours of
          further study for a better understanding. And have the resources at hand to
          work with.

          Best wishes,
          Jim
        • Gabriel Jaeger
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 21, 2008
            Dear Jim,

            Thanks very much!

            How could I get access to the Khuddakapaa.tha in páli that you found?

            With metta,

            Gabriel

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 22, 2008
              Dear Gabriel,

              The passage (a couole of pages) is in the commentary to the Khuddakapaa.tha.
              I could extract it from CST4 and send it to you by email offlist. Just let
              me know whether you would like it in the unicode or velthuis encoding. You
              could also try tipitaka.org.

              Best wishes,
              Jim

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 24, 2008
                Dear Jim,

                Thanks very much for your attention.

                Please, if you could send in both Unicode and velthuis encoding, would be very kind.

                Thanks again,

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                  patta.m + gahA + .na = pattagaaha (bearer of a bowl)
                  sukha.m + kamU + .na = sukhakaama (seeking comfort)
                  tanta.m + ve + .na = tantavaaya (weaver)
                  kamma.m + karA + .na = kammakaara (worker, labourer)

                  A. y is inserted between .na and the roots ending with a long aa.

                  daana.m + daa + .na = daanadaaya (alms-giver)
                  dha~n~na.m + maa + .na = dha~n~namaaya (measurer of corn)

                  B. Some gerundial nouns too are formed with this suffix.

                  pacA + .na = paaka (cooking)
                  gahA + .na = gaaha (taking)
                  cajA + .na = caaga (leaving, forsaking)
                  harA + .na = haara (carrying)

                  152. -a, -aka, -ana, -aavii and -tu are suffixed to the roots when
                  there is an object before them.

                  (1) suffix -a

                  dhamma.m + dharA + a = dhammadhara (learned in the Norm)
                  hita.m + karA + a = hitakara (benefactor, advantageous)
                  dina.m + karA + a = dinakara (sun, maker of the day)
                  dhanu.m + gahA + a = dhanuggaha (archer)
                  sabba.m + daa + a = sabbada (donor of everything)
                  majja.m + paa + a = majjapa (drunkard)

                  When there are nouns in cases other than that of the object before the
                  roots:-
                  vane + carA + a = vanacara (a forester, wanderer in forests)
                  thale + .thaa + a = thala.t.tha (situated or living on the land)
                  jale + .thaa + a = jala.t.tha (situated in or on the water)
                  sirasmi.m + ruhA + a = siroruha (hair. lit. grown on the head)

                  (2) -aka (sometimes requires strengthening)

                  daa (to give) + aka = daayaka (giver), y is inserted
                  nii (to lead) + aka = neaka = naayaka (leader), e becomes ay
                  karA + aka = kaaraka (doer)
                  su + aka = soaka = saavaka (hearer, disciple), o becomes av
                  pu (to clean) + aka = paavaka (fire)
                  gahA + aka = gaahaka (taker, bearer)
                  yaacA + aka = yaacaka (beggar)
                  paalA + aka = paalaka (protector)

                  (3) some gerunds are formed with -ana

                  gahA + ana = gahana (taking, holding)
                  nandA (to be glad) + ana = nandana (rejoicing)
                  bhujA (to eat) + ana = bhojana (food, feeding)
                  su + ana = sava.na (hearing)
                  pacA + ana = pacana (cooking)
                  bhuu + ana = bhavana (becoming)

                  (4) -aavii

                  bhaya.m + disA (to see) + aavii = bhayadassaavii (one who sees
                  danger), disa becomes dassa

                  (5) -tu

                  A. Last consonant of the root before this is sometimes assimilated to t.
                  karA + tu = kattu (doer, maker, author)
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 25, 2008
                    Dear Gabriel and friends,
                    I installed VRI for the Pali diacritical signs. A friend very kindly
                    gave me a pad to convert text into Velthuis.
                    I like to share it. You put the Pali with diacritical signs to the
                    left side and to the right will come the Velthuis.
                    http://www.library.websangha.org/earlybuddhism/convertpad.htm

                    Nina.

                    Op 24-jun-2008, om 17:26 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 26, 2008
                      Thanks Nina, very useful device.

                      With metta,

                      Piya Tan

                      On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Gabriel and friends,
                      > I installed VRI for the Pali diacritical signs. A friend very kindly
                      > gave me a pad to convert text into Velthuis.
                      > I like to share it. You put the Pali with diacritical signs to the
                      > left side and to the right will come the Velthuis.
                      > http://www.library.websangha.org/earlybuddhism/convertpad.htm
                      >
                      > Nina.
                      >
                      > Op 24-jun-2008, om 17:26 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:
                      >
                      > > Please, if you could send in both Unicode and velthuis encoding,
                      > > would be very kind.

                      The Minding Centre
                      Singapore 650644
                      Tel: 8211 0879