Re: [Pali] Pali name

  • metta
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
      I think it means "of heaven"

      Wayne (Metta)

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
        Dear Alex and Wayne,
        Op 18-jun-2008, om 2:21 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

        > Could anyone tells me what is a Maha Brahma?
        ---------
        N: I should add more.
        See Buddhist Dictionary under deva:
        <II. The heavenly beings of the fine-material sphere (rūpāvacara or
        rūpaloka) are:

        1. Brahma-pārisajja, Brahma-purohita, Mahā-brahmāno (s. brahma-
        kāyika-deva). Amongst these 3 classes will be reborn those with a
        weak, medium or full experience of the 1st absorption (jhāna, q.v.).

        2. Parittābha, Appamānābha, Ābhassara. Here will be reborn those
        with experience of the 2nd absorption.

        3. Paritta-subha, Appamāna-subha, Subha-kiṇṇa (or kiṇha). Here
        will be reborn those with experience of the 3rd absorption.

        4. Vehapphala, Asañña-satta (q.v.), Suddhāvāsa (q.v.; further s.
        Anāgāmi). Amongst the first 2 classes will be reborn those with
        experience of the 4th absorption, but amongst the 3rd class only
        Anāgāmis (q.v.).

        Being born in ruupa-brahma planes is the result of the development of
        ruupa jhaana.
        In the suttas we see the names of Brahma-purohita, Mahā-brahmāno.
        Also of Mahaa Brahma Sahampati who entreated the Buddha, after his
        enlightenment, to teach.

      • metta
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
          Nina,

          Thank-you very much and much metta!
          Note: my nickname is "Metta" It was given to me
          by fellow student and close Buddhist friends in
          my Theravada Insight year long course that I
          took in 1992.

          Wayne (Metta)