Re: [Pali] Pali name

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
      Dear Alex,
      Op 18-jun-2008, om 2:21 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

      > Could anyone tells me what is a Maha Brahma?
      ------
      N: chief of the gods, often taken for the creator of the world.

    • metta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2008
        I think it means "of heaven"

        Wayne (Metta)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
          Dear Alex and Wayne,
          Op 18-jun-2008, om 2:21 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

          > Could anyone tells me what is a Maha Brahma?
          ---------
          N: I should add more.
          See Buddhist Dictionary under deva:
          <II. The heavenly beings of the fine-material sphere (rūpāvacara or
          rūpaloka) are:

          1. Brahma-pārisajja, Brahma-purohita, Mahā-brahmāno (s. brahma-
          kāyika-deva). Amongst these 3 classes will be reborn those with a
          weak, medium or full experience of the 1st absorption (jhāna, q.v.).

          2. Parittābha, Appamānābha, Ābhassara. Here will be reborn those
          with experience of the 2nd absorption.

          3. Paritta-subha, Appamāna-subha, Subha-kiṇṇa (or kiṇha). Here
          will be reborn those with experience of the 3rd absorption.

          4. Vehapphala, Asañña-satta (q.v.), Suddhāvāsa (q.v.; further s.
          Anāgāmi). Amongst the first 2 classes will be reborn those with
          experience of the 4th absorption, but amongst the 3rd class only
          Anāgāmis (q.v.).

          Being born in ruupa-brahma planes is the result of the development of
          ruupa jhaana.
          In the suttas we see the names of Brahma-purohita, Mahā-brahmāno.
          Also of Mahaa Brahma Sahampati who entreated the Buddha, after his
          enlightenment, to teach.

        • metta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
            Nina,

            Thank-you very much and much metta!
            Note: my nickname is "Metta" It was given to me
            by fellow student and close Buddhist friends in
            my Theravada Insight year long course that I
            took in 1992.

            Wayne (Metta)