Pali name

  • duriank24
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17 5:21 PM
      Hi,

      Could anyone tells me what is a Maha Brahma?

      metta,
      Alex
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18 7:52 AM
        Dear Alex,
        Op 18-jun-2008, om 2:21 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

        > Could anyone tells me what is a Maha Brahma?
        ------
        N: chief of the gods, often taken for the creator of the world.

      • metta
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18 8:47 AM
          I think it means "of heaven"

          Wayne (Metta)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20 1:34 AM
            Dear Alex and Wayne,
            Op 18-jun-2008, om 2:21 heeft duriank24 het volgende geschreven:

            > Could anyone tells me what is a Maha Brahma?
            ---------
            N: I should add more.
            See Buddhist Dictionary under deva:
            <II. The heavenly beings of the fine-material sphere (rūpāvacara or
            rūpaloka) are:

            1. Brahma-pārisajja, Brahma-purohita, Mahā-brahmāno (s. brahma-
            kāyika-deva). Amongst these 3 classes will be reborn those with a
            weak, medium or full experience of the 1st absorption (jhāna, q.v.).

            2. Parittābha, Appamānābha, Ābhassara. Here will be reborn those
            with experience of the 2nd absorption.

            3. Paritta-subha, Appamāna-subha, Subha-kiṇṇa (or kiṇha). Here
            will be reborn those with experience of the 3rd absorption.

            4. Vehapphala, Asañña-satta (q.v.), Suddhāvāsa (q.v.; further s.
            Anāgāmi). Amongst the first 2 classes will be reborn those with
            experience of the 4th absorption, but amongst the 3rd class only
            Anāgāmis (q.v.).

            Being born in ruupa-brahma planes is the result of the development of
            ruupa jhaana.
            In the suttas we see the names of Brahma-purohita, Mahā-brahmāno.
            Also of Mahaa Brahma Sahampati who entreated the Buddha, after his
            enlightenment, to teach.

          • metta
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20 1:41 AM
              Nina,

              Thank-you very much and much metta!
              Note: my nickname is "Metta" It was given to me
              by fellow student and close Buddhist friends in
              my Theravada Insight year long course that I
              took in 1992.

              Wayne (Metta)