help with translation?

  • johnny pruitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2008
      hello friends,
      I was recently given a chant written in the thai script and i have been able to transpose the words into romanized script for a few passages. I am trying to figure out what chant it is.
      The first passage reads in romanized script
      I.t.tho sabba~n~nuta~n~na.na.m icchanto asavakkhaya.m
      i.t.tha.m dhamma.m anuppatto iddhimanta.m namamiha.m.

      Pleased/ omniscience/ end of desire (wanting?)/ destruction of fermentations/
      pleased/ doctrine/ arrived/ here-prayer/ give praise-I.

      So I looked up most of these words and except for a few I believe I understand them. I just cant assemble them into a sentence that makes grammatical sense. Any help would be appreciated.
      Also the name given for this chant appears to read "Brabuddhagu.n".

      thanks johnny

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2008
        Dear Jonny,
        iddhi is success. Iddhimant: prosperous, having success.
        i.t.tho is agreeable, desirable, but here in relation to the Buddha's
        qualities we need another translation. Beneficial, excellent, noble?
        Icchanto: present participle: desiring.
        I stand to be corrected, this is just an effort.
        Op 14-jun-2008, om 18:58 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

        > The first passage reads in romanized script
        > I.t.tho sabba~n~nuta~n~na.na.m icchanto asavakkhaya.m
        -------
        Noble is his wishing for omniscience and the destruction of the
        fermentations.

        > i.t.tha.m dhamma.m anuppatto iddhimanta.m namamiha.m.
        --------
        Having reached the noble Dhamma, with success, this should be honoured.

        > Pleased/ omniscience/ end of desire (wanting?)/ destruction of
        > fermentations/
        > pleased/ doctrine/ arrived/ here-prayer/ give praise-I.
        --------

        > Also the name given for this chant appears to read "Brabuddhagu.n".
        -------
        N: Phra is a prefix in Thai showing respect. Buddha gu.na: the
        qualities of the Buddha.

      • johnny pruitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2008
          excellent Nina!
          That makes a lot of sense. The last line confused me because the past participle of anuppatto seems like it should be in the accusative case. That way one would be honoring the person who reached dhamma with success.
          Also, could iddhimant be used adverbially instead of an adjective by adding the suffix -a.m

          thanks for your help much appreciated
          Johnny Pruitt

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 20, 2008
            Dear Johnny,
            Op 19-jun-2008, om 1:10 heeft johnny pruitt het volgende geschreven:

            > Also, could iddhimant be used adverbially instead of an adjective
            > by adding the suffix -a.m
            --------
            N: i.t.tha.m dhamma.m anuppatto iddhimanta.m namamiha.m.

            Thank you for reminding me of adverbial use, the neutre form of an
            adjective.
            Namamiha.m is still a puzzle, I do not think that iha.m is aha.m. Iha
            can mean: indeed.
            --------

            ---------