The New Pali Course Part II [7-3/8]

    Message 1 of 29 , May 28, 2008
      Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

      The changes they undego are:

      dhya becomes jjha
      dya becomes jja
      mya becomes mma
      jya becomes jja
      gya becomes gga
      cya becomes kya

      Examples

      vadA (to say) + .nya = vadya = vajja (what should be said, fault,
      musical instrument)
      gamU (to understand) + .nya = gamya = gamma (what should be understood)
      khaadA (to eat) + .nya = khaadya = khajja (what should be eaten, hard
      food)
      yujA (to yoke or join) + .nya = yojya = yogga (what should be yoked, a
      chariot, fitting)
      vacA (to say) + .nya = vaacya = vaakya (what should be spoken, a sentence)
      gahA (to take) + .nya = gahya = gayha (what should be taken)
      garahA (to despise) + .nya = gaarayha (what should be despised)

      C. .Nya after the roots ending in aa, i and ii becomes eyya.

      daa (to give) + eyya = deyya (what should be given)
      paa (to drink) + eyya = peyya (what should be drunk)
      ji (to conquer) + eyya = jeyya (what should be conquered)
      nii (to lead) + eyya = neyya (what should be led)

      .Niya

      karA (to do) + .niya = kaariya (what should be done, work)
      harA (to carry) + .niya = haariya (what should be carried)
      marA (to kill) + .niya = maariya (what should be killed)

      145. "-icca" and "-tayya" are suffixed only to form a limited number
      of words.

      karA + icca = kicca (that should be done, business)
      ar of the root is elided before the suffix.
      ~naa (to know) + tayya = ~naatayya (what should be known)
      padA (to go) + tayya = pattayya (what should be arrived or attained)

      Exercise 23

      Translate into English and point out the primary derivatives

      1. Khajja-bhojja-leyya-peyya-vasena catubbidhaa honti manussaana.m
      aahaaraa.

      2. "Sace me gata.t.thaane dhiitu doso uppajjati, tumhehi sodhetabbo."
      [Dh.A.i.398]

      3. "Patikule vasantiyaa naama anto aggi bahi na niharitabbo; bahi aggi
      anto na pavesetabbo; dadantass'eva daatabba.m; adadantassa na
      daatabba.m." [Ibid. i.397]

      4. "Sudassa.m vajja.m a~n~nesa.m,
      Attano pana duddasa.m." [Dhp.V.252]

      5. "Sace yaagu hoti, bhaajana.m dhovitvaa yaagu upanetabbaa; yaagu.m
      piitassa udaka.m datvaa bhaajana.m pa.tiggahetvaa... dhovitvaa
      pa.tisaametabba.m." [V.i.46]

      6. "Kaalass'eva u.t.thaaya upaahanaa omu~ncitvaa... dantaka.t.tha.m
      daatabba.m, mukhodaka.m daatabba.m, aasana.m pa~n~naapetabban." [Ibid. 46]

      7. "Naaha.m ta.m gamanena lokassa anta.m ~naatayya.m da.t.thayya.m
      pattayyan ti vadaami." [A.ii.48]

      8. "Pu~n~nam aaka`nkhamaanena
      Deyya.m hoti vijaanataa." [S.i.18]

      9. Mahaasamudde asa`nkheyyaa macchakacchapaa, appameyyo udakakkhandho
      ca atthi.

      10. "Ta.m sutvaa itaro: 'Bhaariya.m vata me saahasika.m
      ananucchavika.m kamma.m katan'ti baahaa paggayha kandanto... ahosi."
      [Dh.A.i.17]

      New Words.

      ananucchavika (adj) inappropriate.
      anta (m) end.
      appameyya (pot.p) immeasurable.
      asa`nkheyya (pot.p) innumerable. (n) the highest number.
      aaka`nkhamaana (pr.p) wishing.
      upajjhaaya (m) preceptor [to a monk].
      upaahana (m) sandals.
      omu~ncitvaa (abs) having taken off or removed.
      kandanta (pr.p) crying aloud.
      khandha (m) a great mass, trunk [of a tree].
      gantabba (pot.p) should be gone.
      gamana (ger) going, walking.
      catubbidha (adj) fourfold.
      da.t.thayya (pot.p) what should be seen.
      dantaka.t.tha (n) toothbrush, a stick to cleanse teeth.
      duddasa (adj) difficult to see.
      dosa (m) fault, misdeed.
      niiharitabba (pot.p) what should be taken out.
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 3, 2008
        Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

        pa~n~napetabba (pot.p) what should be prepared.
        pa.tiggahetvaa (abs) having received or taken.
        pa.tisaametabba (pot.p) what should be set in order.
        patikula (n) husband's family.
        pavesetabba (pot.p) what should be entered or taken in.
        piita (pp) drunk.
        mukhodaka (n) water to wash the face.
        leyya (pot.p) [food] what should be licked.
        vata (indec) certainly.
        vijaananta (pr.p) knowing.
        saahasika (adj) hasty.
        sudassa (adj) easy to see.
        sodhetabba (pot.p) what should be cleared or inquired.

        Translate into Pali

        1. The work that is to be done today should not be kept for tomorrow.

        2. If I am to be killed my children will become orphans.

        3. The king whose word should be obeyed is to be respected by all.

        4. This man can be seen in the town every day.

        5. She should be brought to her mother.

        6. The virtues of the Exalted One cannot be thought of, nor his wisdom
        be measured.

        7. Again and again the prince tried to raise the bow that could not be
        moved by anyone.

        8. Where lives the boy who should not be sent to his father's house?

        9. Innumerable fishes live in the river that can be crossed near the
        village.

        10. Alms should be given to virtuous monks by the laymen and the laywomen.

        New Words.

        crossable = tara.niiya (pot.p).
        killed = maarita (pp).
        layman = upaasaka (m).
        laywoman = upaasikaa (f).
        measurable = meyya (adj).
        movable = caalaniiya (pot.p).
        orphan = amaataapitika (adj).
        seen = di.t.tha (pp).
        should be kept = .thapetabba (pot.p).
        should be obeyed = anuvattitabba (pot.p).
        should be sent = pesetabba (pot.p).
        should be brought = aaharitabba (pot.p).
        thinkable = cinteyya (pot.p).
        to raise = ukkhipitu.m (inf).

        (2) Kita Suffixes

        Present participles

        146. "-nta" and "-maana" may be suffixed to all roots or bases in
        order to form present participles.

        The following roots change their forms before some suffixes:-
        gamU (to go) becomes gaccha
        isU (to wish) becomes iccha
        disA (to see) becomes passa, or dakkha
        paa (to drink) becomes piba or piva
        thaa (to stand up) becomes ti.t.tha
        daa (to give) becomes dada
        ~naa (to know) becomes jaana
        karA (to do) becomes kuru or kubba

        gaccha + nta = gacchanta (going)
        iccha + nta = icchanta (willing or wishing)
        passa + nta = passanta (looking, seeing)
        dissa + maana = dissamaana (appearing, seen)
        ti.t.tha + maana = ti.t.thamaana (standing)
        dada + maana = dadamaana (giving)
        jaana + nta = jaananta (knowing)
        kuru + maana = kurumaana (doing)
        (Before -nta kara does not change itself but takes the conjugational
        sign o.)
        karA + o + anta = karonta (doing)
        bhava + maana = bhavamaana (being)
        bhava is the base formed from bhuu (to be).

        For the declension of these and other present participles see §§50 and
        51 of the First Book.

        Past participles

        147. "ta", "tavantu" and "taavii" may be suffixed to all roots to form
        past participles.

        In most cases the last consonants (together with the last vowel) is
        elided before these suffixes, and t of the suffix is sometimes
        reduplicated.

        bhujA (to eat) + ta = bhutta (eaten)
        bhujA + taavi = bhuttaavii (having eaten)
        bhujA + tavantu = bhuttavantu (having eaten)

        A. As -tavantu and -taavii are seldom used, we shall here deal only
        with -ta.

        mucA (to free) + ta = mutta (released, freed)
        tapA (to heat) + ta = tatta (heated)
        padA (to go) + ta = patta (arrived, attained)
        madA (to intoxicate) + ta = matta (intoxicated)
      • Gabriel Jaeger
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 3, 2008
          Dear dharma-brothers,

          Could anyone help me in finding passages in the páli kanon about the
          etymology and meaning of the term “Buddha”?

          Is there any mention why and how the prince Siddharta after his enlightment
          was called Buddha, and what it was mean by calling him in this way?

          Thanks for any help

          Gabriel

        • Antonella Comba
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
            Dear Gabriel,
            you can find many data about Buddha and its name, its spiritual attainments and qualities in the following book: Toshiichi Endo, Buddha in Theravada Buddhism, Dehiwala, 2nd edition, 2002 (www.buddhistcc.lk, e-mail bcc@...). This book investigates particularly commentaries, but also the canonical texts.
            Best metta,
            Tapkina

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 4, 2008
              Dear Gabriel,
              Op 3-jun-2008, om 17:43 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:

              > Could anyone help me in finding passages in the p�li kanon about the
              > etymology and meaning of the term �Buddha�?
              >
              > Is there any mention why and how the prince Siddharta after his
              > enlightment
              > was called Buddha, and what it was mean by calling him in this way?
              --------
              N: What is the meaning of the word �Buddha�? The Illustrator of
              Ultimate Meaning (the �Paramatthajotik��, a commentary to the �Minor
              Readings�, Khuddaka Nik�ya) explains, in the commentary to the �Three
              Refuges�, the meaning of the word �Buddha�:
              ... and this is said, �Buddha�: in what sense buddha? He is the
              discoverer (bujjhit�) of the Truths, thus he is enlightened (buddha).
              He is the enlightener (bodhet�) of the generation, thus he is
              enlightened. He is enlightened by omniscience, enlightened by seeing
              all, enlightened without being led by others... he is quite without
              defilement, thus he is enlightened; he has travelled by the Path that
              goes in only one way, thus he is enlightened; he alone discovered the
              peerless complete enlightenment, thus he is enlightened; ... Buddha:
              this is not a name made by a mother, made by a father... this (name)
              �Buddha�, which signifies final liberation, is a realistic
              description of Enlightened Ones, Blessed Ones, together with their
              obtainment of omniscient knowledge at the root of an enlightenment
              (tree).

            • Gabriel Jaeger
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 6, 2008
                Thanks very much nina!

                Op 3-jun-2008, om 17:43 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:

                > Could anyone help me in finding passages in the páli kanon about the
                > etymology and meaning of the term “Buddha”?
                >
                > Is there any mention why and how the prince Siddharta after his
                > enlightment
                > was called Buddha, and what it was mean by calling him in this way?
                --------
                N: What is the meaning of the word “Buddha”? The Illustrator of
                Ultimate Meaning (the “Paramatthajotikå”, a commentary to the “Minor
                Readings”, Khuddaka Nikåya) explains, in the commentary to the “Three
                Refuges”, the meaning of the word “Buddha”:
                ... and this is said, “Buddha”: in what sense buddha? He is the
                discoverer (bujjhitå) of the Truths, thus he is enlightened (buddha).
                He is the enlightener (bodhetå) of the generation, thus he is
                enlightened. He is enlightened by omniscience, enlightened by seeing
                all, enlightened without being led by others... he is quite without
                defilement, thus he is
                [Ngawang Tenphel]

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Thanks Tapkina!

                  In case you have this book, could you post any passage related with the
                  etymology and meaning of the word Buddha?

                  Regards,

                  bcc@... <mailto:bcc%40sri.lanka.net> ). This book investigates

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8, 2008
                    Dear Gabriel, Nina, Tapkina and friends,

                    it would be good if a new topic is started on a new thread, instead of
                    replying to a post on an existing discussion thread.

                    As for Gabriel's question, "Buddha" means the "Enlightened One". It is
                    one of ten epithets for the Buddha. Other common ones we usually
                    encounter in the suttas are Bhagavant and Tathagata.

                    The word buddha is an adjective meaning enlightened. Not long after
                    his birth, prince Siddhattha was predicted to grow up to be the
                    universal monarch or the enlightened one (buddha).

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Dear Yong Peng.

                      Thanks for your reply.

                      Anyway I have some doubts about the translation “enlightened” for the term
                      Buddha.

                      For example, in Sanskrit the root of the word “Budh” usually is related with
                      the meaning of “wake up”, “awake”, etc.

                      In Sanskrit we have “ushar-budh”, literally, "awakening in the morning” or
                      more with a recent use “Prabuddha Bharata” as the the name of an
                      Indian magazine, meaning "Awakened India."

                      We see too the Sanskrit root “budh” in modern languages, among them also in
                      Polish, where the root “budh” is present in the word “o-bud-zic-sie” what
                      means exactly “to wake up”, and in the word “przebudzony”, wich means “the
                      awaken one”. Also in Russian we find the word “pro-bud-itsa” meaning “to
                      wake up” (in the morning) wich comes from the Sanskrit root “budh”.

                      Also we can find later commentaries by Indian Buddhist masters as the
                      Vajravidaarana-dhaara.nii where Jnanarajra writes:

                      “Regarding the term “Buddha”, having purified all the hindrances of
                      corruption and the knowable, he has awakened (Buddha) from the sleep of
                      ignorance (avidya), for wich reason he is called “awakened” (Buddha). He is
                      like a person awakened from sleep. Regarding the term “vibuddha”, his
                      knowledge (jnana) has been expanded (vibuddha) to all the knowable, for wich
                      reason he is called “expanded (vibuddha). He is like the expanded (or,
                      full-blown) kumuda flower. He has the perfection of purification and of
                      knowledge.”

                      If you ask a Sanskrit pandit what this means, he will probably refer you to
                      the Paniniya-dhatu-kosa, which gives a one-word meaning for each verb root.
                      For “buddh”, it gives “avagamana”. The basic meaning of avagamana is
                      “realization”. The word Buddha is a past passive participle made from the
                      verb root buddh, usually yielding English words ending in “-ed”. So it
                      means, if we follow the gloss, avagamana, “realized”. But a gloss is not
                      identical to the word it is glossing. Moreover, there are not on-on-one
                      correspondences between Sanskrit and English and words. The English word
                      “realized”, for example, translates many Sanskrit words besides avagamana
                      and similarly, avagamana can be translated by other English words besides
                      “realization”, such as “understanding”.

                      In the Buddhist scriptures in Tibetan language we have for Buddha:

                      -Khenpo kunphel’s commentary on the Boddhisatvacharyavatara

                      “Buddha (awakened and expanded/unfolded) means that he has “awakened” from
                      the deep sleep of ignorance and that he has completely “unfolded/expanded”
                      the lotus of wisdom toward all fields of knowledge. As it is said:

                      Because he has awakened from the sleep of ignorance,

                      Because he has opened his mind to knowledge,

                      Beucase Buddha is ‘unfolded/expanded’ like a lotus petal,

                      Therefore, is he called the Buddha.

                      - The Treasury which is an Encyclopaedia of Knowledge" by Jamgon Kongtrul

                      Buddha is given the term “Sangye” in Tibetan because a Buddha has become
                      both “Sangpa” (Buddha) woken up and “Gyepa” expanded/unfolded.”

                      The two terms are then commented on by Tibetans as follows: “Sang” means
                      woken up in the sense that the obscurations have been purified completely
                      and “Gye” means expanded in the sense that all good qualities have been
                      developed to their limit.

                      This are the best references that I have but none of them come from the
                      early scriptures as the pali kanon.

                      For that I post the message asking references...

                      As for the kind answer of Nina, I would like to ask if there is an pali
                      source for the passage posted regarding the meaning of Buddha from the
                      Paramatthajotikå?

                      With many thanks and best wishes,

                      Gabriel

                      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> , Gabriel Jaeger

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                        A correction from the last email:

                        >>As for the kind answer of Nina, I would like to ask if there is an pali
                        source for the passage posted regarding the meaning of Buddha from the
                        [Ngawang Tenphel] >>Paramatthajotikå?

                        What I mean is if is available this passage in pali transliterated
                        somewhere?

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 10, 2008
                          Dear Gabriel,

                          thanks. I have no problem with buddha=awakened or Buddha=the Awakened One.

                          A quick & easy search and compilation of words from the Digha Nikaya
                          (CSCD) reveals:

                          buddho - 69 times
                          buddha.m - 30 times
                          buddhe - 24 times

                          kapilavatthu - 3 times
                          kapilavatthu.m - 2 times
                          kapilavatthusmi.m - 4 times

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 10, 2008
                            Dear Gabriel,
                            Op 9-jun-2008, om 15:49 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:

                            > As for the kind answer of Nina, I would like to ask if there is an
                            > pali
                            > source for the passage posted regarding the meaning of Buddha from the
                            > Paramatthajotik�?
                            What I mean is if is available this passage in pali transliterated
                            somewhere?
                            -------
                            N: I only have the English: Minor readings and Illustrator, P.T.S.
                            Thus, this is the Khuddakapaa.tha and Commentary.
                            It is taken from the first sutta: the Three Refuges.
                            Thank you for your analysis, giving different languages.
                            You write: <If you ask a Sanskrit pandit what this means, he will
                            probably refer you to
                            the Paniniya-dhatu-kosa, which gives a one-word meaning for each verb
                            root.
                            For �buddh�, it gives �avagamana�. The basic meaning of avagamana is
                            �realization�. >
                            Very interesting. I read in the Commentary to the Khuddakapaa.tha : <
                            And as to this quotation, [the active and middle voice usage] 'he is
                            the discoverer of the Truths, thus he is enlightened [bujjhitaa
                            saccanii ti buddho]' is stated in the same way as in the world
                            [outside the Dispensation] a 'descender into
                            (understander)' (avagantaa) is called a 'descended one
                            (understood)' (avagato)....>
                            Perhaps you can find the complete Pali text on metta net? Under
                            Khuddakapaa.tha ?

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 10, 2008
                              Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                              yujA (to join) + ta = yutta (endowed with, joined)
                              supA (to sleep) + ta = sutta (slept)

                              B. Where "-ta" is not reduplicated but the end of the root is elided:

                              karA (to do) + ta = kata (done)
                              marA (to die) + ta = mata (dead)
                              manA (to think) + ta = mata (thought, idea, known)
                              hanA (to kill) + ta = hata (killed)
                              gamU (to go) + ta = gata (gone)
                              ramU (to sport) + ta = rata (amused, delighted)

                              C. Sometimes "-ta" undergoes a change together with the last consonant of the root.

                              1. s + ta becomes -.t.tha

                              dasA (to bite) + ta = da.t.tha (bitten, stung)
                              kasA (to plough) + ta = ka.t.tha (ploughed)
                              hasA (to laugh) + ta = ha.t.tha (delighted)
                              rusA (to be angry) + ta = ru.t.tha (provoked, angry)
                              ghusA (to make a noise) + ta = ghu.t.tha (proclaimed)
                              aa + kusA (to rebuke) + ta = akku.t.tha (rebuked)

                              2. m + ta becomes -nta

                              khamU (to forbear) + ta = khanta (forgiven)
                              samU (to pacify) + ta = santa (calmed)
                              bhamU (to reel) + ta = bhanta (swerving)
                              damU (to subdue) + ta = danta (subdued)
                              pa + kamU (to go) + ta = pakkanta (gone)

                              3. dh + ta becomes ddha

                              budhA (to know) + ta = buddha (known, the person who knows)
                              rudha (to obstruct) + ta = ruddha (obstructed)

                              4. bh + ta becomes ddha

                              labhA (to get) + ta = laddha (obtained)
                              lubhA (to covet) + ta = luddha (covetous, greedy)

                              5. j + ta becomes gga

                              bhajA (to break) + ta = bhagga (broken)
                              sa.m + vijA (to be agitated) + ta = sa.mvigga (agitated)

                              6. other irregular changes are:

                              duhA (to milk) + ta = duddha (milked)
                              ruhA (to ascend) + ta = ruu.lha (ascended)
                              majjA (to polish) + ta = ma.t.tha (polished)
                              pacA (to cook) + ta = pakka (cooked)
                              vasA (to dwell) + ta = vuttha (dwelt)

                              D. Sometimes -ta changes the root before it, and it stands unchanged.

                              janA (to produce) + ta = jaata (born)
                              paa (to drink) + ta = piita (drunk)
                              .thaa (to stand) + ta = .thita (stood)
                              maa (to measure) + ta = mita (measured)

                              E. -ta after some monosyllabic roots neither changes itself nor the root.

                              bhuu (to be) + ta = bhuuta (been, become)
                              nii (to lead) + ta = niita (led)
                              bhii (to be afraid) + ta = bhiita (frightened)
                              ~naa (to know) + ta = ~naata (known)
                              yaa (to go) + ta = yaata (gone)
                              ji (to conquer) + ta = jita (conquered)
                              ci (to collect) + ta = cita (collected)
                              nhaa (to bathe) + ta = nhaata (bathed)
                              (Both naha and nhaa are found in Pali.)

                              148. Much more common and easier way to join "-ta" to form a participle, is to insert an
                              "i" between the root and the suffix.

                              This is mostly done after the roots ending with a.
                              pacA (to cook) + ta = pacita (cooked)
                              gahA (to take) + ta = gahita (taken)
                              khaadA (to eat) + ta = khaadita (eaten)
                              ma.n.dA (to adorn) + ta = ma.n.dita (adorned)
                              kathA (to tell) + ta = kathita (told)
                              likhA (to wirte) + ta = likhita (written)

                              149. "-na" is suffixed to some roots to form past participles. In many places n of the suffix
                              is reduplicated and the last consonant of the root is elided. Sometimes i or ii is inserted
                              between the root and the suffix.

                              n becomes .n when the last consonant of the root is r.
                              chidA (to cut) + na = chinna (cut, broken)
                              chadA (to cover) + na = channa (covered)
                              bhidA (to break) + na = bhinna (broken)
                              ni + sadA (to sit) + i + na = nisinna (sat)
                              tarA (to cross) + i + na = ti.n.na (gone ashore)
                              puurA (to fill) + na = pu.n.na (full)
                              jarA (to decay) + i + na = ji.n.na (decayed)
                              daa (to give) + i + na = dinna (given)
                              khii (to exhaust) + na = khii.na (exhausted)
                              dii (to be miserable) + na = diina (miserable, mean)
                              luu (to cut) + na = luuna (cut, mowed)
                              pa + haa (to eliminate) + ii + na = pahiina (eliminated)
                              aasA (to sit) + ii + na = aasiina (sat)
                            • tapkina
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 13, 2008
                                Dear Gabriel,
                                In Visuddhimagga, VII, 52 (p. 209 PTS) Buddhaghosa wrote
                                (Nyaan.amoli's translation):
                                "He (Buddha) is enlightened (buddha) with the knowledge that belongs
                                to the fruit of liberation, since everything that can be known has
                                been discovered (buddha) by him.
                                Or alternatively, he discovered (bujjhi) the four truths by himself
                                and awakened (bodhesi) others to them, thus and for other such
                                reasons he is enlightened (buddha). And in order to explain this
                                meaning the whole passage in the Niddesa beginning thus 'He is the
                                discoverer (bujjhitar) of the truths, thus he is enlightened
                                (buddha). He is the awakener (bodhetar) of the generation, thus he
                                is enlightened (buddha)' (Niddesa, I, 457), or the same passage from
                                the Patisambhidaa (I, 174), should be quoted in detail".
                                And now to Dr. Endo's book, pp. 6-7:
                                "Early Buddhist sources persistently depict Gotama Buddha as an
                                ideal human being. He was a lover of silence (muni) and led a simple
                                life uncharacteristic of any supernormal being. He was respected by
                                all who followed him not only because he was the teacher, but also
                                because he was a human being par excellence. This sentiment is
                                shared by many as can be gathered from such epithets and attributes
                                given only to the Buddha as purisuttama, isisattama, sabbasattaanam
                                uttama, appat.ipuggala, devamanussa set.t.ha, sadevakassa lokassa
                                agga, etc.
                                Such was the early concept of a sage and the Buddha was also
                                regarded as one of them. This is well brought out in a study of the
                                development of the notion of 'buddha' (as a term) by Prof. Nakamura
                                who classifies it into six phases, which can be used as a yardstick
                                for our present study:
                                1) In early Jainism as reflected in the Isibhaasiyaaim., all sages
                                irrespective of their faiths were called 'buddhas'. Uddaalaka,
                                Yaajnavalkya, Mahaavira, Saariputta, etc., are all Buddhas.
                                2) Emphasis is laid on the fact that Saariputta was the only buddha
                                (in the eyes of Jains).
                                3) In the old gaathaas of the Paaraayan.avagga of the Suttanipaata,
                                no mention of the word 'buddha' is found. That is to say, the
                                Buddha's disciples at this time did not specially think of
                                Saakyamuni as a buddha. Neither they aspire to be called buddhas.
                                4)The next phase was the time when those who should be respected in
                                general were called buddhas, isi (sages) or braahman.as.
                                5) As time went on, however, 'buddha' came to be thought as a
                                specially eminent person and was used as an epithet for such a
                                person.
                                6) Finally, 'buddha' was used for no one but Saakyamuni (or anyone
                                equal to him). This tendency persists prominently in the new strata
                                of gaathaas of the Suttanipaata and is more decisive in its prose
                                parts".

                                May all beings be enlightened.
                                Tapkina

                                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Gabriel Jaeger" <lotsawanet@...> wrote:

                                > A correction from the last email:
                                >

                                > >>As for the kind answer of Nina, I would like to ask if there is
                                an pali
                                > source for the passage posted regarding the meaning of Buddha from
                                the
                                > [Ngawang Tenphel] >>Paramatthajotikå?
                                >
                                > What I mean is if is available this passage in pali transliterated
                                > somewhere?
                                >

                                > With many thanks and best wishes,
                                >
                                > Gabriel

                                Of Ong

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 14, 2008
                                  Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                                  150. Many of these past participles have two different forms.

                                  root pacA: pacita, pakka (cooked)
                                  root harA: harita, hata (carried)
                                  root vasA: vasita, vuttha (lived, dwelt)
                                  root ~naa: jaanita, ~naata (known)
                                  root lagA (to adhere): lagita, lagga (adhered)
                                  root kasA: kasita, ka.t.tha (ploughed)
                                  root tapA: taapita, tatta (heated)
                                  root pusA (to nurse): posita, pu.t.tha (brought up)
                                  root chidA: chindita, chinna (cut)
                                  root dusA (to corrupt): duusita, du.t.tha (corrupted)
                                  root pucchA (to question): pucchita, pu.t.tha (asked, questioned)
                                  root rusA: rosita, ru.t.tha (enraged)
                                  root gupA (to protect): gopita, gutta (protected)

                                  Exercise 24

                                  Translate into English and point out the derivatives

                                  1. "Sumedhataapaso iddhimaa ti jaanantaa udakabhinnokaasa.m sallakkhetvaa: 'tva.m
                                  ima.m .thaana.m ala`nkarohii'ti vatvaa ada.msu.'" [J.Nidaana]

                                  2. "Eva.m nisinne Bodhisatte sakala-dasasahassa-cakkavaa.le devataa sannipatitvaa...
                                  Bodhisatta.m naanappakaaraahi thutiihi abhitthuni.msu." [Ibid.]

                                  3. "Yathaa pana a~n~ne sattaa maatukucchito nikkhamantaa pa.tikkuulena asucinaa
                                  makkhitaa nikkhamanti, na eva.m Bodhisatto." [Ibid.]

                                  4. "Aparam pana ekadivasa.m uyyaana.m gacchanto tath'eva devataahi nimmita.m
                                  sunivattha.m supaaruta.m pabbajita.m disvaa: 'Ko naam eso, sammaa?' ti saarathi.m
                                  pucchi." [Ibid.]

                                  5. "Aya.m Buddattaaya abhiniihaara.m katvaa nipanno; samijjhissati imassa patthanaa ito
                                  kappa-satasahassaadhi-kaana.m catunna.m asankheyyaana.m matthake." [Ibid.]

                                  6. "Kim me ekena ti.n.nena
                                  Purisena thaamadassinaa?" [Buddhava.msa]

                                  7. "Dassana.m me atikkante
                                  Sa-sa`nghe Lokanaayake
                                  Ha.t.tho ha.t.thena cittena
                                  Aasanaa vu.t.thahi.m tadaa." [Ibid.]

                                  8. "Ubbiggaa tasitaa bhiitaa
                                  Bhantaa vyathita-maanasaa
                                  Mahaajanaa samaagamma
                                  Diipa`nkaram upaagamu.m." [Ibid.]

                                  9. "Tattha deva-manussaa gandha-maalaadiihi puujayamaanaa: 'Mahaapurisa, idha
                                  tumhehi sadiso a~n~no natthi; kut'ettha uttaritaro?'ti aaha.msu." [J.Nidaanakathaa]

                                  10. "Aadittasmi.m agaarasmi.m
                                  Ya.m niiharati bhaajana.m,
                                  Ta.m tassa hoti atthaaya;
                                  No ca ya.m tattha .dayhati." [S.i.31]

                                  New Words.

                                  atthaaya (dat.sing.) for the welfare.
                                  abhitthuni (v) praised.
                                  abhiniihaara (m) aspiration.
                                  asuci (m) dung, dirt. (adj) impure.
                                  aaditta (pp) ablaze.
                                  uttaritara (adj) higher, nobler.
                                  upaagami (v) came, approached.
                                  ubbigga (pp) agitated.
                                  okaasa (m) room, place.
                                  .dayhati (v) is burnt.
                                  thaamadassii (m) one who knows his strength.
                                  thuti (f) praise.
                                  dassana (n) sight.
                                  nipanna (pp) laid [himself] down.
                                  nimmita (pp) created.
                                  pa.tikkuula (adj) disgusting.
                                  matthake (loc) at the end.
                                  lokanaayaka (m) universal lord, i.e. the Buddha.
                                  vyathita (pp) wavering.
                                  sadisa (adj) equal.
                                  samaagamma (abs) having gathered together.
                                  sa-sa`ngha (adj) together with the community.
                                  samijjhati (v) becomes successful.
                                  sallakkhetvaa (abs) having considered.
                                  sunivattha (pp) well dressed.
                                  supaaruta (pp) well robed.

                                  Translate into Pali using participles

                                  1. There were broken houses, fallen trees, dead bodies, and wounded persons in the
                                  villages that were near the battlefield.

                                  2. The Blessed One, who came out of the monastery, entered the city through the
                                  decorated path, respected, honoured and praised by the people.

                                  3. The young lord saw, as he was driving to the park, an aged man as bent as a roof gable,
                                  leaning on a staff, and tottering.

                                  4. The mother of Yasa having gone up to his palace, and not seeing him, went to her
                                  husband and said: "Your son Yasa, householder, has disappeared."
                                • Gabriel Jaeger
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 16, 2008
                                    Thanks Tapkina!

                                    I was searching in the google for the words “Buddha-avagamana” and found
                                    this site:

                                    http://www.dhammavihara.org/cmbt/fdd/etimologiadebuddha.htm

                                    It is in Spanish but it mentions the etymology of the word Buddha from pali
                                    sources that were cited in the edition of the sixth Buddhist Council.

                                    For the rereferences:

                                    Visuddhimagga, i 203.
                                    Sìlakkhandhavagga Åìka pág. 10.
                                    Saddanìti, Dhàtumàlà, pág. 228, 230.
                                    Saddanìti, Suttamàlà, §1144.

                                    It mentions 3 different meanings for the Word Buddha:

                                    1) Avagamana – to know

                                    2) Niddakkhaya – awake or the destruction of the sleep

                                    3) Vikasana – blossom or open

                                    Does any one know about this etymology and edition made in the sixth
                                    Buddhist Council?

                                    With metta,

                                    Jaeger" <lotsawanet@...> wrote:

                                    > A correction from the last email:
                                    >

                                    > >>As for the kind answer of Nina, I would like to ask if there is
                                    an pali
                                    > source for the passage posted regarding the meaning of Buddha from
                                    the
                                    > [Ngawang Tenphel] >>Paramatthajotikå?
                                    >
                                    > What I mean is if is available this passage in pali transliterated
                                    > somewhere?
                                    >

                                    > With many thanks and best wishes,
                                    >
                                    > Gabriel
                                    >

                                    > From: Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > Dear Gabriel, Nina, Tapkina and friends,
                                    >
                                    > it would be good if a new topic is started on a new thread,
                                    instead of
                                    > replying to a post on an existing discussion thread.
                                    >
                                    > As for Gabriel's question, "Buddha" means the "Enlightened One".
                                    It is
                                    > one of ten epithets for the Buddha. Other common ones we usually
                                    > encounter in the suttas are Bhagavant and Tathagata.
                                    >
                                    > The word buddha is an adjective meaning enlightened. Not long after
                                    > his birth, prince Siddhattha was predicted to grow up to be the
                                    > universal monarch or the enlightened one (buddha).
                                    >
                                    > metta,
                                    > Yong Peng.
                                    >
                                    > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                    Gabriel Jaeger
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > Could anyone help me in finding passages in the p�li kanon about
                                    the
                                    > etymology and meaning of the term �Buddha�?
                                    >
                                    > Is there any mention why and how the prince Siddharta after his
                                    > enlightment was called Buddha, and what it was mean by calling him
                                    in
                                    > this way?

                                  • Jim Anderson
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 19, 2008
                                      Dear Gabriel,

                                      > Saddanìti, Suttamàlà, §1144.

                                      Sd 1144 prescribes the primary suffix /ta/ after the verbal root /budh/ in
                                      the formation of the agent-noun /buddha/. Then, according to Sd 1179, /dha/
                                      is substituted for /ta/ and, according to Sd 1216, /d/ is substituted for
                                      the /dh/ of the root /budh/ and this gives us the formation /buddha/ (budh +
                                      ta > budh + dha > bud + dha > buddha).

                                      Best wishes,
                                      Jim
                                    • Gabriel Jaeger
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 19, 2008
                                        Thanks Jim.

                                        But besides the grammar does the Saddaniti, Suttamala say something about the meaning of the root “Buddh”?

                                        As I posted before the article that I found mention three meanings for “Buddha”:

                                        1-to know, understand (avagamana)

                                        2-Awake or destruction of the sleep state (niddakkhaya,)

                                        3-open or blossom (vikasana)

                                        It says that this three meanings have as source the texts edited in the sixth Buddhist Council
                                        Visuddhimagga, i 203.
                                        Sìlakkhandhavagga Åìka pág. 10.
                                        Saddanìti, Dhàtumàlà, pág. 228, 230.
                                        Saddanìti, Suttamàlà, §1144.

                                        I find a passage in the “Visuddhimagga” that seems to be related with the meaning of the option “3”:

                                        [[[[SL Page 231] [\x 231/]
                                        Bujjhitvā vikasamānamiva padumaṃ sukaṃ nibbikāraṃ paṭibujjhati [PTS Page 312] [\q 312/] ]]]] (Visuddhimagga- "The Path of Purification")

                                        For my poor pali knowledge I was not able to grasp the full meaning of this passage e so I am not sure about its relation with the third meaning…could anyone helps with that?

                                        I did not find the text “Sìlakkhandhavagga Åìka pág. 10.” To check if it contains any passages relating with the three meanings given too… Does anyone know about it?

                                        Regarding the Saddanìti, Dhàtumàlà and the Saddanìti, Suttamàlà as I do not have Access to this books at hand I could not check. Does anyone have them and would be able to check what it says about the words “buddha”, “avagamana”, “niddhakkhaya” and “vikasana”?

                                        Wonderful the opportunity to learn about the full meaning of the Word buddha!

                                        Thanks to all!

                                        All the best,

                                        Gabriel

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 20, 2008
                                          Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                                          5. Then the householder thinking that sitting there he would see his
                                          son, sitting at the same place, became glad, and having saluted the
                                          Blessed One, sat down near Him.

                                          6. "Then, as he went along, he saw the peasants ploughing, the fields
                                          in soiled garments, covered with dust blown by hot winds." [Ps.B.47]

                                          7. "All the while she was talking, the Brahmans were beholding the
                                          splendour of her teeth... and having applauded her speech, they took
                                          the gold wreath, and placed it on her head." [B.T.457]

                                          8. "The day before she was to depart, the treasurer sat in his room
                                          and had his daughter sit by him, and he admonished her, telling the
                                          rules of conduct she should adopt when she came to dwell in her
                                          husband's family." [Ibid. 462]

                                          9. "Migaara the treasurer rode in a conveyance behind the others, and
                                          beholding a great crowd of people following, he asked, 'Pray, who are
                                          these?'" [Ibid. 463]

                                          10. "So she entered the city standing in her chariot, and showing
                                          herself to the whole town." [Ibid. 461]

                                          New Words.

                                          aged = mahallaka, vuddha (adj).
                                          anointed = abbha~njita (pp).
                                          announces = aaroceti (v).
                                          applauds = abhitthavati (v).
                                          as he went along = use the locative of "gacchanta".
                                          battlefield = yuddhabhuumi (f).
                                          bearing = dhaarenta (pr.p).
                                          behind = pacchato (indec).
                                          beholding = passanta (pr.p).
                                          blown [by wind] = vaayita.
                                          conveyance = yaana (n).
                                          disappeared = antarahita (pp).
                                          driving = paajenta (pr.p).
                                          fallen = patita (pp).
                                          great crowd = mahaasamuuha (m).
                                          honoured = maanita (pp).
                                          leaning on a staff = da.n.da-paraaya.na (adj).
                                          moves off = apagacchati (v).
                                          peasant = gaamika, jaanapadika (m).
                                          praised = abhitthuta, pasa.msita (pp).
                                          pray [use an addressing word like bho here].
                                          respected = garukata (pp).
                                          roof-gable = gopaanasii (f).
                                          rules of conduct = sikkhaa (f). samaacaara (m).
                                          should be adopted = vattetabba (pot.p).
                                          soiled = malina, pa.msumakkhita (pp).
                                          splendour of teeth = danta-kalyaa.na (n).
                                          talking = kathenta (pr.p).
                                          telling = vadanta (pr.p).
                                          tottering = pavedhamaana (pr.p).
                                          would be fitting = yutta (pp).
                                          wounded = paharita, va.nita, khata (pp).

                                          (3) Primary Derivatives that are not Participles

                                          (These are active and do not denote any particular tense.)

                                          151. ".Na" may be suffixed to transitive roots when there is an object
                                          before them.

                                          kumbha.m + karA + .na = kumbhakaara (potter)
                                          ratha.m + karA + .na = rathakaara (chariot maker, carpenter)
                                          gantha.m + karA + .na = ganthakaara (author of a book)
                                        • Jim Anderson
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 20, 2008
                                            Gabriel,

                                            > But besides the grammar does the Saddaniti, Suttamala say
                                            > something about the meaning of the root “Buddh”?

                                            The root is "budh", not "buddh".

                                            > As I posted before the article that I found mention three
                                            > meanings for “Buddha”:

                                            1-to know, understand (avagamana)

                                            2-Awake or destruction of the sleep state (niddakkhaya,)

                                            3-open or blossom (vikasana)

                                            ==============
                                            Jim: I have checked the Dhaatumaalaa of the Saddaniiti (Smtih's ed.).

                                            It has the following four entries for the root "budh":

                                            517 budha bodhane
                                            1132 budha avagamane
                                            1133 budha bodhane
                                            1206 budhi hi.msaaya.m (to injure, harm)

                                            We can disregard the last one as it is the root for the verb "bundheti" and
                                            the noun "palibodho" and has nothing to do with the noun "buddha". In the
                                            entry for 1132, the Saddaniiti glosses "avagamana.m" with "jaanana.m"
                                            (knowing) and in 1133, "bodhane" is explained as including the following:
                                            budha ~naa.ne, budha vikasane, budha niddakkhaye. So your no. 2 and 3 belong
                                            under "budha bodhane". For studying the traditional explanation of the word
                                            "buddha", the Khuddakapaa.tha commentarial passage fhat Nina quoted from, in
                                            part, is a good place to start. But I do find it and the Pali text difficult
                                            to follow and grasp. Reading the translation probably won't be enough for
                                            the serious student. One has to delve into it deep and devote many hours of
                                            further study for a better understanding. And have the resources at hand to
                                            work with.

                                            Best wishes,
                                            Jim
                                          • Gabriel Jaeger
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 21, 2008
                                              Dear Jim,

                                              Thanks very much!

                                              How could I get access to the Khuddakapaa.tha in páli that you found?

                                              With metta,

                                              Gabriel

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 22, 2008
                                                Dear Gabriel,

                                                The passage (a couole of pages) is in the commentary to the Khuddakapaa.tha.
                                                I could extract it from CST4 and send it to you by email offlist. Just let
                                                me know whether you would like it in the unicode or velthuis encoding. You
                                                could also try tipitaka.org.

                                                Best wishes,
                                                Jim

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 24, 2008
                                                  Dear Jim,

                                                  Thanks very much for your attention.

                                                  Please, if you could send in both Unicode and velthuis encoding, would be very kind.

                                                  Thanks again,

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 25, 2008
                                                    Ven. A. P. Buddhadatta

                                                    patta.m + gahA + .na = pattagaaha (bearer of a bowl)
                                                    sukha.m + kamU + .na = sukhakaama (seeking comfort)
                                                    tanta.m + ve + .na = tantavaaya (weaver)
                                                    kamma.m + karA + .na = kammakaara (worker, labourer)

                                                    A. y is inserted between .na and the roots ending with a long aa.

                                                    daana.m + daa + .na = daanadaaya (alms-giver)
                                                    dha~n~na.m + maa + .na = dha~n~namaaya (measurer of corn)

                                                    B. Some gerundial nouns too are formed with this suffix.

                                                    pacA + .na = paaka (cooking)
                                                    gahA + .na = gaaha (taking)
                                                    cajA + .na = caaga (leaving, forsaking)
                                                    harA + .na = haara (carrying)

                                                    152. -a, -aka, -ana, -aavii and -tu are suffixed to the roots when
                                                    there is an object before them.

                                                    (1) suffix -a

                                                    dhamma.m + dharA + a = dhammadhara (learned in the Norm)
                                                    hita.m + karA + a = hitakara (benefactor, advantageous)
                                                    dina.m + karA + a = dinakara (sun, maker of the day)
                                                    dhanu.m + gahA + a = dhanuggaha (archer)
                                                    sabba.m + daa + a = sabbada (donor of everything)
                                                    majja.m + paa + a = majjapa (drunkard)

                                                    When there are nouns in cases other than that of the object before the
                                                    roots:-
                                                    vane + carA + a = vanacara (a forester, wanderer in forests)
                                                    thale + .thaa + a = thala.t.tha (situated or living on the land)
                                                    jale + .thaa + a = jala.t.tha (situated in or on the water)
                                                    sirasmi.m + ruhA + a = siroruha (hair. lit. grown on the head)

                                                    (2) -aka (sometimes requires strengthening)

                                                    daa (to give) + aka = daayaka (giver), y is inserted
                                                    nii (to lead) + aka = neaka = naayaka (leader), e becomes ay
                                                    karA + aka = kaaraka (doer)
                                                    su + aka = soaka = saavaka (hearer, disciple), o becomes av
                                                    pu (to clean) + aka = paavaka (fire)
                                                    gahA + aka = gaahaka (taker, bearer)
                                                    yaacA + aka = yaacaka (beggar)
                                                    paalA + aka = paalaka (protector)

                                                    (3) some gerunds are formed with -ana

                                                    gahA + ana = gahana (taking, holding)
                                                    nandA (to be glad) + ana = nandana (rejoicing)
                                                    bhujA (to eat) + ana = bhojana (food, feeding)
                                                    su + ana = sava.na (hearing)
                                                    pacA + ana = pacana (cooking)
                                                    bhuu + ana = bhavana (becoming)

                                                    (4) -aavii

                                                    bhaya.m + disA (to see) + aavii = bhayadassaavii (one who sees
                                                    danger), disa becomes dassa

                                                    (5) -tu

                                                    A. Last consonant of the root before this is sometimes assimilated to t.
                                                    karA + tu = kattu (doer, maker, author)
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 25, 2008
                                                      Dear Gabriel and friends,
                                                      I installed VRI for the Pali diacritical signs. A friend very kindly
                                                      gave me a pad to convert text into Velthuis.
                                                      I like to share it. You put the Pali with diacritical signs to the
                                                      left side and to the right will come the Velthuis.
                                                      http://www.library.websangha.org/earlybuddhism/convertpad.htm

                                                      Nina.

                                                      Op 24-jun-2008, om 17:26 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 26, 2008
                                                        Thanks Nina, very useful device.

                                                        With metta,

                                                        Piya Tan

                                                        On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

                                                        > Dear Gabriel and friends,
                                                        > I installed VRI for the Pali diacritical signs. A friend very kindly
                                                        > gave me a pad to convert text into Velthuis.
                                                        > I like to share it. You put the Pali with diacritical signs to the
                                                        > left side and to the right will come the Velthuis.
                                                        > http://www.library.websangha.org/earlybuddhism/convertpad.htm
                                                        >
                                                        > Nina.
                                                        >
                                                        > Op 24-jun-2008, om 17:26 heeft Gabriel Jaeger het volgende geschreven:
                                                        >
                                                        > > Please, if you could send in both Unicode and velthuis encoding,
                                                        > > would be very kind.

                                                        The Minding Centre
                                                        Singapore 650644
                                                        Tel: 8211 0879