Vesak greetings

    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2008

      I wish you a peaceful and enlightening Vesak Day, and a fulfilling
      year ahead.

      with metta,
      Yong Peng.
    • gunnargallmo@yahoo.se
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2009
        http://stores.lulu.com/gunnargallmo
        http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

        --- Den mån 2009-05-04 skrev Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...>:

        "Dear Yong Peng,
        Thank you and also the best wishes to you for Vesak.
        I am always glad to be reminded of full moon, the Dutch newspapers do
        not indicate this, no calender."

        I always use a calender with the moon fases indicated.

        As calculated by professional astronomers, however, which may not always be the dates calculated by Sinhalese or Thai bhikkhus.

        I am not clear about the reasons. Different time zones, of course; and modern astronomers make the day and night cycle begin at midnight, while according to traditional Buddhist ways it begins at dawn.

        But midnight in Europe occurs more or less at the same time as dawn in South and South East Asia, so these two factors should really neutralize each other.

        Or is the reason quite simply that bhikkhus are normally not professional astronomers?

        Gunnar

        Låna pengar utan säkerhet. Jämför vilkor online hos Kelkoo.
        http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100390123-lan-utan-sakerhet.html?partnerId=96915014
      • Jacques Huynen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2009
          Dear All,

          The calendar of gmail indicate all the phases of the moon. This is not a pub for gmail, but it is free and very convenient, especially for Buddhists, if you use their calendar.

          Happy Wesak,

          May all beings be happy

          Jacques Huynen

          Thank you and also the best wishes to you for Vesak.

          I am always glad to be reminded of full moon, the Dutch newspapers do

          not indicate this, no calender. I can only see the moon when it is

          not overcast. Which day is it? Lodewijk and I wanted to do some Vesak

          discussions, question and answer on that day. We like to commemorate

          the occasion in a special way.

          Nina.

          Op 1-mei-2009, om 12:21 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        • gunnargallmo@yahoo.se
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2009
            http://stores.lulu.com/gunnargallmo
            http://metrobloggen.se/esperanto

            --- Den tis 2009-05-05 skrev Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...>:

            <Dear Yong Peng,
            Thank you very much. I do not mind about the absolute time,
            celebration with Dhamma discussions can be all day!
            Nina.>

            Funny to see how things sometimes run full circle.

            I think it was first decided to fix the Uposatha days to the moon phases for purely practical reasons. The moon is not especially sacred in Buddhism, but it was easy to see, at least when the sky is clear, and there were no printed calendars at the Buddha's time. (There wasn't any smog either to hide the moon, and not much light pollution.)

            And now we look at printed or on-line calendars to see when the full moon is...

            Gunnar

            Sök efter kärleken!
            Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;185753627;24584539;x?http://se.meetic.yahoo.net/index.php?mtcmk=148783
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2009
              Dear Gunnar,

              you are quite right. ;-) I'm just not sure about Vedic astrology during Buddha's time. However, as I mentioned earlier, communities around the world celebrate Vesak in May, but probably on different days throughout the month.

              Adding on Nina's comments, the significance of Vesak is not the superficial ceremonial appearance, but the realisation of the highest potential within the reach of each and every person - the ultimate compassion and wisdom. For this alone, everyday can be Vesak.

              I can see that your emails always break away from the original posts. You could be using an email/web client incompatible with Yahoo!'s.