Re: [Pali] Silenced in body !

    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2008
      Dear PG,

      On a simple level, "silent of body" means "well-restrained" and also
      that none of the precepts
      are broken on account of bodily actions. This is a off the cuff or
      "intuitive" (as one scholar puts it)
      answer.

      The verse is from It 56.
      The verse with a slightly different line d is at A 1:273.
      Both verses are found at Nm (Mahaniddesa) 1:58 & Nc (Cullaniddesa).

      PG you can easily locate such refs using CSCD.

      With metta & Happy Vesak, 1:58, 2:335.

      Piya Tan

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2008
        Thanks, Piya.

        If it was just about the reference, CSCD wud have been fine, but since I
        needed help with understanding, I asked about the ref. as well ;-)

        Do add to your intuitive answer if the buddha has somewhere said in his
        inimitable style, something like this --

        And how bhikkhus, does one silence the body?
        :-)

        metta,
        PG