Silenced in body !

  • pgd2507
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2008
      Dear Dhamma teachers and scholars,

      I came across the following quoted words and translation:

      =======================================
      Kâyamunim vâcâmunim,
      manomunimanâsavam,
      munim moneyyasampannam.
      Âhu ninhâtapâpakam.

      Silenced in body, silenced in speech,
      silenced in mind, without defilement,
      blessed with silence is the sage.
      He is truly washed of all evil.
      =======================================

      could someone give me a reference and also explain what is meant
      by "Silenced in the body". The only bodily silence I know of is that
      of a corpse. surely, the buddha could not have meant that, nor
      does he seem to be referring to a body motionless in meditation...

      Thanks & metta,
      PG
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2008
        Dear PG,

        On a simple level, "silent of body" means "well-restrained" and also
        that none of the precepts
        are broken on account of bodily actions. This is a off the cuff or
        "intuitive" (as one scholar puts it)
        answer.

        The verse is from It 56.
        The verse with a slightly different line d is at A 1:273.
        Both verses are found at Nm (Mahaniddesa) 1:58 & Nc (Cullaniddesa).

        PG you can easily locate such refs using CSCD.

        With metta & Happy Vesak, 1:58, 2:335.

        Piya Tan

        --
        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2008
          Thanks, Piya.

          If it was just about the reference, CSCD wud have been fine, but since I
          needed help with understanding, I asked about the ref. as well ;-)

          Do add to your intuitive answer if the buddha has somewhere said in his
          inimitable style, something like this --

          And how bhikkhus, does one silence the body?
          :-)

          metta,
          PG