Re: [Pali] So karohi diipam attano

  • P G Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
      Many thanks, Piya.

      with metta,
      PG
      _______________________________________

      On 4/24/08, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

      > Dear PG,
      >
      > What you seek is found here:
      >
      > http://dighanikaya.googlepages.com/D16_Mahaparinibbana_S_sd9.pdf
      >
      > See page 13-14 (section 6).
      >
      > With metta,
      >
      > Piya Tan
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:38 PM, pgd2507 <pgd2507@...<pgd2507%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Dear learned dhamma and pali scholars,
      > >
      > > So karohi diipam attano
      > >
      > > I have seen this line translated in 2 ways:
      > >
      > > Make an island unto yourself.
      > > Make a lamp unto yourself.
      > >
      > > which of these did the Buddha intend?
      > >
      > > the sanskrit words are distinct:
      > > dviipa = island
      > > diipa = lamp
      > >
      > > but in pali both these words seem to converge to "diipa".
      > >
      > > is there some help either contextual or from another part of the
      > > canon that can resolve this...
      > >
      > > metta,
      > > PG
      > >

      > --
      > The Minding Centre
      > Singapore 650644
      > Tel: 8211 0879
      > Meditation courses & therapy: http://themindingcentre.googlepages.com
      > Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

    • Jon Fernquest
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
        Dear Piya Tan;

        Thanks for that paper.
        It's great.
        I had problems with the fonts on previous
        ones, but this one, no problems at all.

        It's hard to get references, review, and bibliography of scholarly
        work like this.

        With metta,
        Jon Fernquest

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
          Dear Jon and friends,

          Glad you found the Sutta useful. As long as we keep promoting the Suttas,
          there are good chances that more people would have access to the Buddha's
          Teachings "as is".

          The scholar's Buddhism is fine, too, but I like my Dharma plain and early.

          I normally use Time Extended Romans, which should be installed in
          C:/Windows/Fonts

          if you don't have them.

          However, if the PDF works well, then it's fine.

          WIth metta,

          Piya Tan

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
            "...there are good chances that more people would have
            access to the Buddha's Teachings "as is"..."

            I'm surprised more of the PTS works with lapsed
            copyrights haven't been put online (or maybe they can
            and have been renewed?).

            Like today I found in the library anc copied the Rhys
            Davids Digha Nikaya translation of the Brahma Jala
            (with the Pali too in a separate volume) but it
            certainly isn't online.

            Jon

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • P G Dave
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
              Dear Piya Tan,

              On pg. 14 of your paper I noticed the following words:
              *"Vipassan�" meditation (if there is such a meditation)"*
              Does the qualification in brackets "if there is such a meditation" indicate
              that the term "vipassan� meditation" is a mis-nomer...

              Kindly explain.

              Thanks.

              with metta,
              PG
              ______________________________________

              On 4/25/08, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

              > Dear Jon and friends,
              >
              > Glad you found the Sutta useful. As long as we keep promoting the Suttas,
              > there are good chances that more people would have access to the Buddha's
              > Teachings "as is".
              >
              > The scholar's Buddhism is fine, too, but I like my Dharma plain and early.
              >
              > I normally use Time Extended Romans, which should be installed in
              > C:/Windows/Fonts
              >
              > if you don't have them.
              >
              > However, if the PDF works well, then it's fine.
              >
              > WIth metta,
              >
              > Piya Tan
              >
              > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Jon Fernquest <bayinnaung@...<bayinnaung%40yahoo.com>>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > Dear Piya Tan;
              > >
              > > Thanks for that paper.
              > > It's great.
              > > I had problems with the fonts on previous
              > > ones, but this one, no problems at all.
              > >
              > > It's hard to get references, review, and bibliography of scholarly
              > > work like this.
              > >
              > > With metta,
              > > Jon Fernquest
              > >

              > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <Pali%40yahoogroups.com>, "Piya Tan"
              > <dharmafarer@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear PG,
              > > >
              > > > What you seek is found here:
              > > >
              > > > http://dighanikaya.googlepages.com/D16_Mahaparinibbana_S_sd9.pdf
              > > >
              > > > See page 13-14 (section 6).
              > > >
              > > > With metta,
              > > >
              > > > Piya Tan

              > > > --
              > > > The Minding Centre
              > > > Blk 644 Bukit Batok Central #01-68 (2nd flr)
              > > > Singapore 650644
              > > > Tel: 8211 0879
              > > > Meditation courses & therapy: http://themindingcentre.googlepages.com
              > > > Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com
              > > >

              > --
              > The Minding Centre
              > Singapore 650644
              > Tel: 8211 0879
              > Meditation courses & therapy: http://themindingcentre.googlepages.com
              > Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com

            • dkotschessa
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Piya Tan" <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

                > Dear PG,
                >
                > What you seek is found here:
                >
                > http://dighanikaya.googlepages.com/D16_Mahaparinibbana_S_sd9.pdf
                >
                > See page 13-14 (section 6).
                >
                > With metta,
                >
                > Piya Tan

                Another great clarification of another great puzzle.

                -DaveK
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                  Dear PG,

                  My point is that there is no meditation by such a name in the Suttas.
                  It is so called
                  in the Commentaries and later times. Vipassana refers to "wisdom", as
                  such it is not a meditation in itself.

                  However, I have no problem with the modern usage, as it
                  is a particular approach to meditation, which can be useful for some people.

                  I have discussed some this further in in my article on
                  Bhavana (SD 15.1)

                  Metta,

                  Piya

                • palitechguy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 26, 2008
                    Hi;

                    Perhaps the Dvedhavitakka Sutta (Two Sorts of Thinking) is a nice
                    outline of the relationship between calm and insight?

                    It shows a gradual path of directing the mind at beneficial questions
                    as a positive feedback loop leading to enlightenment?

                    metta

                    palitechguy

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 27, 2008
                      Dear Piya,

                      kindly give me the link to your article on Bhavana that u mention.
                      Thanks & metta,

                      PG
                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 27, 2008
                        Dear PG,

                        Here it is:

                        http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/sd15.1_Bhavana_piya.pdf

                        This may not be the latest, since I am unable to access my Googlepages
                        for the moment.
                        It is a free DIY website, so we are at their mercy, as it were. It
                        could be the heavy internet
                        traffic.

                        You can also explore http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com for more discoveries.

                        With metta,