Following the Buddha

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2008
      Pali Friends,

      Could someone give me the reference for the Buddha's saying, which goes like

      Even if someone were to follow me holding on to my robe (or the hem of my robe)
      step for step, he may still not know the Dharma.

      Thanks & sadhu,

      Piya Tan

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2008
        Hello brother, I have found this sutta which have the similar meaning
        of what you sought for,or it is another sutta.

        AN 3.81
        Gadrabha Sutta

        With Metta,
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2008
          Dear Piya,
          Op 19-apr-2008, om 12:11 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:

          > Could someone give me the reference for the Buddha's saying, which
          > goes like
          >
          > Even if someone were to follow me holding on to my robe (or the hem
          > of my robe)
          > step for step, he may still not know the Dharma.
          --------
          Khudaka Nikaaya, Itivuttaka, The Threes, Ch V, no 3.Sangatisutta.

          A beautiful text. If a monk lives far away, but is not covetous, not
          malevolent, with mindfulness set up and composed, he is near to the
          Buddha.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2008
            Sadhu, that's good. (Sorry I do not know your name, but you may email me offline
            if you like). You sound like someone from my Sutta classes :)

            I know about this one, but I'm very impressed that you took the trouble to
            look up the Tipitaka and found a related Sutta. It is not always easy.

            With metta,

            Piya