Re: [Pali] Re: Memorizing Texts

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2008
      Dear Dave K,
      Op 16-apr-2008, om 16:43 heeft dkotschessa het volgende geschreven:

      > Does anybody know of any standard course of material that monks may be
      > required to memorize? Texts from the Khuddaka Nikaya maybe?
      --------
      N: I think of the chanting of texts by the monks at specific
      occasions, such as in Thailand or Birma. For instance texts from the
      Dhammasangani, the first book of the Abhidhamma: kusala dhamma,
      akusala dhamma, abhyakata dhamma (indeterminate dhamma, neither
      kusala or akusala). This comprises all phenomena of our life.
      Or at a funeral: how impressive to hear: sabbe sa.nkhaaraa aniccaa.
      I heard that groups of lay people in Birma used to come together and
      recite parts of the Patthanaa (book of the Abhidhamma on the
      Conditions). Monks take several days to recite the whole Patthanaa.
      There are still monks who know the whole of the Tipitaka by heart,
      and Jim mentioned this to me.