Re: [Pali] Re: Anguttara Nikaya 1.10, 1.11

  • Branislav Kovacevic
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
      Dear Alex,

      it just happened that I'm translating 1st book of Anguttara Nikaya and I remembered the passage you mentioned.

      As for those quotes from the Mahaparinibbana sutta, they are quite famous and cited regularly.

      If you go to the sutta at Access to Insight:
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

      you wil find the first one of yours in the 6th chapter "The Passing Away: The Blessed One Final Exhortation", paragraph 1.
      For the second one find subtitle "The Blessed One's Deadly Sickness" in the translation and than paragraph 33.

      Metta,
      Branko

      duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote: Dear Branko,
      Many thanks for your prompt and clear quotation you gave me.
      Grateful if you could help me with two more which I had difficulty
      locating.

      1) In the mahaparinibbana sutte(digha nikaya sutta 16) The Buddha
      advised the monks: "Whatever the dhamma-vinaya i have pointed out
      and formulated for yoy, that will be your teacher when i am gone"
      and

      2)Again, in Digha nikaya sutta 16, the Buddha said: "Monks, be a
      lamp unto yourselves, be a refuge unto yourselves, with no other
      refuge. Take the dhamma as your lamp, take the dhamma as your
      refuge, with no other refuge."

      with metta
      Alex

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Alex,
      >
      > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
      Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
      Anguttara Nikaya.

      > Metta,
      > Branko
      >

      > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
      >
      > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
      > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
      Nikaya
      > is the following saying found?
      >
      > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
      ¡°
      > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
      what
      > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
      > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
      > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
      are
      > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
      not
      > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
      benefits a
      > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
      because
      > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
      > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
      > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
      an
      > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
      nikayas.

      > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
      >
      > with metta,
      > Alex

      between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

    • duriank24
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

        > Dear Alex and Mahinda and Branko,
        >
        > Mahinda wrote:
        > > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
        > > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD
        online
        > > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
        >
        > Just to clarify, I believe it is actually p. 18 and 19 of the PTS
        Ang.
        > Nik vol. 1. But the rest is correct. And note that all 3 major
        > editions, PTS (Ee), CSCD (Be), and BJT (Ce) number the vaggas that
        > these suttas are in as 10 and 11 respectively. That's where the
        1.10
        > and 1.11 references from.
        >
        > With metta,
        > John
        >
        > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahipaliha" <mahipal6@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic
        <ja_sam_branko@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Dear Alex,
        > > >
        > > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149,
        i.e.
        > > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of
        the
        > > Anguttara Nikaya.
        > > >
        > > > Metta,
        > > > Branko
        > >
        > > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
        > > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD
        online
        > > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
        > >
        > > Mahinda
        > > >

        > > > duriank24 <duriank24@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
        > > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
        > > Nikaya
        > > > is the following saying found?
        > > >
        > > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says
        what is
        > > ��
        > > > are�� dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a
        person says
        > > what
        > > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for
        himself
        > > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
        > > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what
        is
        > > are
        > > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma
        as
        > > not
        > > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
        > > benefits a
        > > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
        > > because
        > > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is
        not
        > > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the
        true
        > > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it
        is in
        > > an
        > > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
        > > nikayas.
        > > >
        > > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
        > > >
        > > > with metta,
        > > > Alex

        >Thank John, Piya, Branko for sharing.

        metta,