Re: Anguttara Nikaya 1.10, 1.11

  • duriank24
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
      Dear Branko,
      Many thanks for your prompt and clear quotation you gave me.
      Grateful if you could help me with two more which I had difficulty
      locating.

      1) In the mahaparinibbana sutte(digha nikaya sutta 16) The Buddha
      advised the monks: "Whatever the dhamma-vinaya i have pointed out
      and formulated for yoy, that will be your teacher when i am gone"
      and

      2)Again, in Digha nikaya sutta 16, the Buddha said: "Monks, be a
      lamp unto yourselves, be a refuge unto yourselves, with no other
      refuge. Take the dhamma as your lamp, take the dhamma as your
      refuge, with no other refuge."

      with metta
      Alex

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Alex,
      >
      > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
      Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
      Anguttara Nikaya.

      > Metta,
      > Branko
      >

      > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
      >
      > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
      > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
      Nikaya
      > is the following saying found?
      >
      > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
      ¡°
      > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
      what
      > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
      > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
      > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
      are
      > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
      not
      > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
      benefits a
      > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
      because
      > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
      > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
      > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
      an
      > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
      nikayas.

      > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
      >
      > with metta,
      > Alex

    • Branislav Kovacevic
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
        Dear Alex,

        it just happened that I'm translating 1st book of Anguttara Nikaya and I remembered the passage you mentioned.

        As for those quotes from the Mahaparinibbana sutta, they are quite famous and cited regularly.

        If you go to the sutta at Access to Insight:
        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

        you wil find the first one of yours in the 6th chapter "The Passing Away: The Blessed One Final Exhortation", paragraph 1.
        For the second one find subtitle "The Blessed One's Deadly Sickness" in the translation and than paragraph 33.

        Metta,
        Branko

        duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote: Dear Branko,

        wrote:

        > Dear Alex,
        >
        > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
        Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
        Anguttara Nikaya.

        > Metta,
        > Branko
        >

        > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
        >
        > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
        >
        > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
        > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
        Nikaya
        > is the following saying found?
        >
        > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
        ¡°
        > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
        what
        > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
        > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
        > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
        are
        > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
        not
        > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
        benefits a
        > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
        because
        > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
        > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
        > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
        an
        > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
        nikayas.

        > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
        >
        > with metta,
        > Alex

        between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

      • duriank24
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

          > Dear Alex and Mahinda and Branko,
          >
          > Mahinda wrote:
          > > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
          > > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD
          online
          > > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
          >
          > Just to clarify, I believe it is actually p. 18 and 19 of the PTS
          Ang.
          > Nik vol. 1. But the rest is correct. And note that all 3 major
          > editions, PTS (Ee), CSCD (Be), and BJT (Ce) number the vaggas that
          > these suttas are in as 10 and 11 respectively. That's where the
          1.10
          > and 1.11 references from.
          >
          > With metta,
          > John
          >
          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahipaliha" <mahipal6@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic
          <ja_sam_branko@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear Alex,
          > > >
          > > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149,
          i.e.
          > > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of
          the
          > > Anguttara Nikaya.
          > > >
          > > > Metta,
          > > > Branko
          > >
          > > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
          > > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD
          online
          > > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
          > >
          > > Mahinda
          > > >

          > > > duriank24 <duriank24@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
          > > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
          > > Nikaya
          > > > is the following saying found?
          > > >
          > > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says
          what is
          > > ��
          > > > are�� dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a
          person says
          > > what
          > > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for
          himself
          > > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
          > > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what
          is
          > > are
          > > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma
          as
          > > not
          > > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
          > > benefits a
          > > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
          > > because
          > > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is
          not
          > > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the
          true
          > > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it
          is in
          > > an
          > > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
          > > nikayas.
          > > >
          > > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
          > > >
          > > > with metta,
          > > > Alex

          >Thank John, Piya, Branko for sharing.

          metta,