Re: Anguttara Nikaya 1.10, 1.11

  • duriank24
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
      Dear Branko,
      Many thanks for your prompt and clear quotation you gave me.
      Grateful if you could help me with two more which I had difficulty
      locating.

      1) In the mahaparinibbana sutte(digha nikaya sutta 16) The Buddha
      advised the monks: "Whatever the dhamma-vinaya i have pointed out
      and formulated for yoy, that will be your teacher when i am gone"
      and

      2)Again, in Digha nikaya sutta 16, the Buddha said: "Monks, be a
      lamp unto yourselves, be a refuge unto yourselves, with no other
      refuge. Take the dhamma as your lamp, take the dhamma as your
      refuge, with no other refuge."

      with metta
      Alex

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Alex,
      >
      > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
      Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
      Anguttara Nikaya.

      > Metta,
      > Branko
      >

      > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
      >
      > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
      > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
      Nikaya
      > is the following saying found?
      >
      > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
      ¡°
      > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
      what
      > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
      > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
      > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
      are
      > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
      not
      > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
      benefits a
      > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
      because
      > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
      > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
      > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
      an
      > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
      nikayas.

      > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
      >
      > with metta,
      > Alex

    • mahipaliha
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
        wrote:

        > Dear Alex,
        >
        > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
        Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
        Anguttara Nikaya.

        > Metta,
        > Branko

        More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
        Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
        version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20

        Mahinda

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
          Alex,

          Some related Suttas maybe found in this article:

          http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/SD01.10TheDharmaendingAge_piya.pdf

          Metta,

          Piya Tan

          On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, mahipaliha <mahipal6@...> wrote:

          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Alex,
          > >
          > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
          > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
          > Anguttara Nikaya.
          > >
          > > Metta,
          > > Branko
          >
          > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
          > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
          > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
          >
          > Mahinda
          > >

          > > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
          > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
          > Nikaya
          > > is the following saying found?
          > >
          > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
          > ¡°
          > > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
          > what
          > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
          > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
          > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
          > are
          > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
          > not
          > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
          > benefits a
          > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
          > because
          > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
          > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
          > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
          > an
          > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
          > nikayas.
          > >
          > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
          > >
          > > with metta,
          > > Alex

          The Minding Centre
          Singapore 650644
          Tel: 8211 0879
          Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
            Dear Alex and Mahinda and Branko,

            Mahinda wrote:
            > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
            > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
            > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20

            Just to clarify, I believe it is actually p. 18 and 19 of the PTS Ang.
            Nik vol. 1. But the rest is correct. And note that all 3 major
            editions, PTS (Ee), CSCD (Be), and BJT (Ce) number the vaggas that
            these suttas are in as 10 and 11 respectively. That's where the 1.10
            and 1.11 references from.

            With metta,
            John

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahipaliha" <mahipal6@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Alex,
            > >
            > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
            > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
            > Anguttara Nikaya.
            > >
            > > Metta,
            > > Branko
            >
            > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
            > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
            > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
            >
            > Mahinda
            > >

            > > duriank24 <duriank24@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
            > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
            > Nikaya
            > > is the following saying found?
            > >
            > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
            > ��
            > > are�� dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
            > what
            > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
            > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
            > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
            > are
            > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
            > not
            > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
            > benefits a
            > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
            > because
            > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
            > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
            > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
            > an
            > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
            > nikayas.
            > >
            > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
            > >
            > > with metta,
            > > Alex

          • Branislav Kovacevic
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
              Dear Alex,

              it just happened that I'm translating 1st book of Anguttara Nikaya and I remembered the passage you mentioned.

              As for those quotes from the Mahaparinibbana sutta, they are quite famous and cited regularly.

              If you go to the sutta at Access to Insight:
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

              you wil find the first one of yours in the 6th chapter "The Passing Away: The Blessed One Final Exhortation", paragraph 1.
              For the second one find subtitle "The Blessed One's Deadly Sickness" in the translation and than paragraph 33.

              Metta,
              Branko

              duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote: Dear Branko,

              wrote:

              > Dear Alex,
              >
              > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
              Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
              Anguttara Nikaya.

              > Metta,
              > Branko
              >

              > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
              >
              > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
              >
              > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
              > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
              Nikaya
              > is the following saying found?
              >
              > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
              ¡°
              > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
              what
              > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
              > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
              > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
              are
              > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
              not
              > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
              benefits a
              > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
              because
              > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
              > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
              > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
              an
              > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
              nikayas.

              > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
              >
              > with metta,
              > Alex

              between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

            • duriank24
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > are
                > > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma
                as
                > > not
                > > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
                > > benefits a
                > > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
                > > because
                > > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is
                not
                > > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the
                true
                > > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it
                is in
                > > an
                > > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
                > > nikayas.
                > > >
                > > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?

                metta,
                Alex