Re: [Pali] Anguttara Nikaya 1.10, 1.11

  • Branislav Kovacevic
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
      Dear Alex,

      I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e. Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the Anguttara Nikaya.

      Metta,
      Branko

      duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:

      On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:

      Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
      Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara Nikaya
      is the following saying found?

      In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is ¡°
      are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says what
      is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
      and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
      disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is are
      dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as not
      dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he benefits a
      lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So because
      of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
      dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
      dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in an
      1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the nikayas.

      Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?

      with metta,
      Alex

    • duriank24
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
        Dear Branko,
        Many thanks for your prompt and clear quotation you gave me.
        Grateful if you could help me with two more which I had difficulty
        locating.

        1) In the mahaparinibbana sutte(digha nikaya sutta 16) The Buddha
        advised the monks: "Whatever the dhamma-vinaya i have pointed out
        and formulated for yoy, that will be your teacher when i am gone"
        and

        2)Again, in Digha nikaya sutta 16, the Buddha said: "Monks, be a
        lamp unto yourselves, be a refuge unto yourselves, with no other
        refuge. Take the dhamma as your lamp, take the dhamma as your
        refuge, with no other refuge."

        with metta
        Alex

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear Alex,
        >
        > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
        Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
        Anguttara Nikaya.

        > Metta,
        > Branko
        >

        > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
        >
        > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
        >
        > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
        > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
        Nikaya
        > is the following saying found?
        >
        > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
        ¡°
        > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
        what
        > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
        > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
        > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
        are
        > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
        not
        > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
        benefits a
        > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
        because
        > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
        > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
        > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
        an
        > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
        nikayas.

        > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
        >
        > with metta,
        > Alex

      • mahipaliha
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
          wrote:

          > Dear Alex,
          >
          > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
          Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
          Anguttara Nikaya.

          > Metta,
          > Branko

          More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
          Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
          version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20

          Mahinda

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
            Alex,

            Some related Suttas maybe found in this article:

            http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/SD01.10TheDharmaendingAge_piya.pdf

            Metta,

            Piya Tan

            On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, mahipaliha <mahipal6@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Alex,
            > >
            > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
            > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
            > Anguttara Nikaya.
            > >
            > > Metta,
            > > Branko
            >
            > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
            > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
            > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
            >
            > Mahinda
            > >

            > > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
            > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
            > Nikaya
            > > is the following saying found?
            > >
            > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
            > ¡°
            > > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
            > what
            > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
            > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
            > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
            > are
            > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
            > not
            > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
            > benefits a
            > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
            > because
            > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
            > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
            > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
            > an
            > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
            > nikayas.
            > >
            > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
            > >
            > > with metta,
            > > Alex

            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644
            Tel: 8211 0879
            Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com
          • John Kelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
              Dear Alex and Mahinda and Branko,

              Mahinda wrote:
              > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
              > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
              > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20

              Just to clarify, I believe it is actually p. 18 and 19 of the PTS Ang.
              Nik vol. 1. But the rest is correct. And note that all 3 major
              editions, PTS (Ee), CSCD (Be), and BJT (Ce) number the vaggas that
              these suttas are in as 10 and 11 respectively. That's where the 1.10
              and 1.11 references from.

              With metta,
              John

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahipaliha" <mahipal6@...> wrote:

              > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Alex,
              > >
              > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
              > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
              > Anguttara Nikaya.
              > >
              > > Metta,
              > > Branko
              >
              > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
              > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
              > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
              >
              > Mahinda
              > >

              > > duriank24 <duriank24@> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
              > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
              > Nikaya
              > > is the following saying found?
              > >
              > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
              > ��
              > > are�� dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
              > what
              > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
              > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
              > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
              > are
              > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
              > not
              > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
              > benefits a
              > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
              > because
              > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
              > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
              > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
              > an
              > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
              > nikayas.
              > >
              > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
              > >
              > > with metta,
              > > Alex

            • Branislav Kovacevic
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
                Dear Alex,

                it just happened that I'm translating 1st book of Anguttara Nikaya and I remembered the passage you mentioned.

                As for those quotes from the Mahaparinibbana sutta, they are quite famous and cited regularly.

                If you go to the sutta at Access to Insight:
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

                you wil find the first one of yours in the 6th chapter "The Passing Away: The Blessed One Final Exhortation", paragraph 1.
                For the second one find subtitle "The Blessed One's Deadly Sickness" in the translation and than paragraph 33.

                Metta,
                Branko

                duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote: Dear Branko,

                wrote:

                > Dear Alex,
                >
                > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
                Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
                Anguttara Nikaya.

                > Metta,
                > Branko
                >

                > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
                >
                > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
                >
                > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
                > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
                Nikaya
                > is the following saying found?
                >
                > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
                ¡°
                > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
                what
                > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
                > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
                > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
                are
                > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
                not
                > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
                benefits a
                > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
                because
                > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
                > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
                > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
                an
                > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
                nikayas.

                > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
                >
                > with metta,
                > Alex

                between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

              • duriank24
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > are
                  > > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma
                  as
                  > > not
                  > > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
                  > > benefits a
                  > > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
                  > > because
                  > > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is
                  not
                  > > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the
                  true
                  > > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it
                  is in
                  > > an
                  > > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
                  > > nikayas.
                  > > >
                  > > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?

                  metta,
                  Alex