Anguttara Nikaya 1.10, 1.11

  • duriank24
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2008
      On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:

      Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
      Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara Nikaya
      is the following saying found?

      In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is ¡°
      are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says what
      is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
      and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
      disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is are
      dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as not
      dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he benefits a
      lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So because
      of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
      dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
      dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in an
      1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the nikayas.

      Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?

      with metta,
      Alex
    • Branislav Kovacevic

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
          Dear Branko,
          Many thanks for your prompt and clear quotation you gave me.
          Grateful if you could help me with two more which I had difficulty
          locating.

          1) In the mahaparinibbana sutte(digha nikaya sutta 16) The Buddha
          advised the monks: "Whatever the dhamma-vinaya i have pointed out
          and formulated for yoy, that will be your teacher when i am gone"
          and

          2)Again, in Digha nikaya sutta 16, the Buddha said: "Monks, be a
          lamp unto yourselves, be a refuge unto yourselves, with no other
          refuge. Take the dhamma as your lamp, take the dhamma as your
          refuge, with no other refuge."

          with metta
          Alex

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Alex,
          >
          > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
          Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
          Anguttara Nikaya.

          > Metta,
          > Branko
          >

          > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
          >
          > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
          > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
          Nikaya
          > is the following saying found?
          >
          > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
          ¡°
          > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
          what
          > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
          > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
          > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
          are
          > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
          not
          > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
          benefits a
          > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
          because
          > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
          > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
          > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
          an
          > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
          nikayas.

          > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
          >
          > with metta,
          > Alex

        • mahipaliha
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
            wrote:

            > Dear Alex,
            >
            > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
            Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
            Anguttara Nikaya.

            > Metta,
            > Branko

            More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
            Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
            version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20

            Mahinda

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
              Alex,

              Some related Suttas maybe found in this article:

              http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com/SD01.10TheDharmaendingAge_piya.pdf

              Metta,

              Piya Tan

              On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, mahipaliha <mahipal6@...> wrote:

              > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Alex,
              > >
              > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
              > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
              > Anguttara Nikaya.
              > >
              > > Metta,
              > > Branko
              >
              > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
              > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
              > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
              >
              > Mahinda
              > >

              > > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
              > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
              > Nikaya
              > > is the following saying found?
              > >
              > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
              > ¡°
              > > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
              > what
              > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
              > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
              > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
              > are
              > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
              > not
              > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
              > benefits a
              > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
              > because
              > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
              > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
              > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
              > an
              > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
              > nikayas.
              > >
              > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
              > >
              > > with metta,
              > > Alex

              The Minding Centre
              Singapore 650644
              Tel: 8211 0879
              Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com
            • John Kelly
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
                Dear Alex and Mahinda and Branko,

                Mahinda wrote:
                > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
                > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
                > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20

                Just to clarify, I believe it is actually p. 18 and 19 of the PTS Ang.
                Nik vol. 1. But the rest is correct. And note that all 3 major
                editions, PTS (Ee), CSCD (Be), and BJT (Ce) number the vaggas that
                these suttas are in as 10 and 11 respectively. That's where the 1.10
                and 1.11 references from.

                With metta,
                John

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "mahipaliha" <mahipal6@...> wrote:

                > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Branislav Kovacevic <ja_sam_branko@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear Alex,
                > >
                > > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
                > Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
                > Anguttara Nikaya.
                > >
                > > Metta,
                > > Branko
                >
                > More precisely, it is Anguttara N. Book I, sections 130-131 in
                > Dutiya-pamaada-vagga and secc. 140-141 in Adhamma-vagga (CSCD online
                > version) and in PTS Ang. edition i p. 18 and p.20
                >
                > Mahinda
                > >

                > > duriank24 <duriank24@> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
                > > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
                > Nikaya
                > > is the following saying found?
                > >
                > > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
                > ��
                > > are�� dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
                > what
                > > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
                > > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
                > > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
                > are
                > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
                > not
                > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
                > benefits a
                > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
                > because
                > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
                > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
                > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
                > an
                > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
                > nikayas.
                > >
                > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
                > >
                > > with metta,
                > > Alex

              • Branislav Kovacevic
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 15, 2008
                  Dear Alex,

                  it just happened that I'm translating 1st book of Anguttara Nikaya and I remembered the passage you mentioned.

                  As for those quotes from the Mahaparinibbana sutta, they are quite famous and cited regularly.

                  If you go to the sutta at Access to Insight:
                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

                  you wil find the first one of yours in the 6th chapter "The Passing Away: The Blessed One Final Exhortation", paragraph 1.
                  For the second one find subtitle "The Blessed One's Deadly Sickness" in the translation and than paragraph 33.

                  Metta,
                  Branko

                  duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote: Dear Branko,

                  wrote:

                  > Dear Alex,
                  >
                  > I believe your quotation is from very short suttas 140-149, i.e.
                  Chapter 12 (Adhamma vaggo) of the first book (Ekaka Nipato) of the
                  Anguttara Nikaya.

                  > Metta,
                  > Branko
                  >

                  > duriank24 <duriank24@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:27 AM, <feedback@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Dear Bros in the sublime dhamma,
                  > Please help me to check which verse or chapter in Anguttara
                  Nikaya
                  > is the following saying found?
                  >
                  > In the anguttara nikaya, the Buddha said if a person says what is
                  ¡°
                  > are¡± dhamma . What is contrary to the dhamma .If a person says
                  what
                  > is are dhamma is dhamma, then he create much re-merit for himself
                  > and then he harm a lots of humans and devas and he causes the
                  > disappearance of the true dhamma. But if a person said what is
                  are
                  > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma as
                  not
                  > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
                  benefits a
                  > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
                  because
                  > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is not
                  > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the true
                  > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it is in
                  an
                  > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
                  nikayas.

                  > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?
                  >
                  > with metta,
                  > Alex

                  between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

                • duriank24
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > are
                    > > > dhamma is are dhamma and dare to criticize what is not dhamma
                    as
                    > > not
                    > > > dhamma. Then he create much merit for himself and then he
                    > > benefits a
                    > > > lot of human and devas and he preserves the true dhamma. So
                    > > because
                    > > > of that it is the duty of monks who know to speak out what is
                    not
                    > > > dhamma and criticize them as not dhamma and to establish the
                    true
                    > > > dhamma. See anguttara nikaya text below. Someone told me it
                    is in
                    > > an
                    > > > 1.10 and 1.11. I could not find it. Perhaps I am new to the
                    > > nikayas.
                    > > >
                    > > > Could someone point me to the right verse or passage?

                    metta,
                    Alex