DN 31 Translation - part 18

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Dear
      friends,
      Continuation of the DN 31 translation and grammatical
      analysis:

      13. "Cha kho 'me gahapati-putta aadiinavaa aalassaanuyoge: 'Ati-siitan ti' kamma.m na karoti,'Ati-u.nhan ti' kamma.m na karoti, 'Ati-saayan ti' kamma.m na karoti,'Ati-paato ti' kamma.m na karoti, 'Ati-chaato 'smiiti' kamma.m na karoti,'Ati-dhaato 'smiiti' kamma.m na karoti. Tassaeva.m kiccaapadesa-bahulassa viharato anuppannaa c'eva bhogaa n'uppajjanti,uppannaa ca bhogaa parikkhaya.m gacchanti.
      Ime kho gahapati-putta cha aadiinavaa aalassaanuyoge ti."
      cha - num
      adj, m/nom/pl - six
      kho - ind emph enc - indeed
      ime ('me: sandhi elis) - dem
      pro, m/nom/pl - these
      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg- O young householder
      aadiinavaa - m-a/nom/pl - dangers
      aalassaanuyoge - gen TP cpd, m-a/loc/pl - in the practice of idleness
      ati-siitan - AV cpd, adv - too cold
      ati - adv
      - in excess, extremely
      siita.m (siitan: sandhi assim) - n-a/nom/sg -coldness
      ti - ind - (end-quote)
      kamma.m - n-a/acc/sg - work
      na - ind neg advs - not
      karoti - kar VI, pres act, 3rd/sg - he does
      ati-u.nhan - AV cpd, adv - too hot
      ati - adv
      - in excess, extremely
      u.nha.m (u.nhan: sandhi assim) - n-a/nom/sg -heat
      ti - ind - (end-quote)
      kamma.m - n-a/acc/sg - work
      na - ind neg advs - not
      karoti - kar VI, pres act, 3rd/sg - he does
      ati-saayan - AV cpd, adv - too late
      ati - adv
      - in excess, extremely
      saaya.m (saayan: sandhi assim) - adv - atnight
      ti - ind - (end-quote)
      kamma.m - n-a/acc/sg - work
      na - ind neg advs - not
      karoti - kar VI, pres act, 3rd/sg - he does
      ati-paato - AV cpd, adv - too early
      ati - adv
      - in excess, extremely
      paato - adv, abs [From paatar] - early
      ti - ind - (end-quote)
      kamma.m - n-a/acc/sg - work
      na - ind neg advs - not
      karoti - kar VI, pres act, 3rd/sg - he does
      ati-chaato - AV cpd, adv - too hungry
      ati - adv
      - in excess, extremely
      chaato - adj, m-a/nom/sg - hungry
      asmi iti ('smiiti: sandhi elis coal)
      asmi - asI, pres act, 1st/sg - I am
      ti (iti) - ind - (end-quote)
      kamma.m - n-a/acc/sg - work
      na - ind neg advs - not
      karoti - kar VI, pres act, 3rd/sg - he does
      ati-dhaato - AV cpd, adv - too satiated
      ati - adv
      - in excess, extremely
      dhaato - adj, m-a/nom/sg - satiated
      asmi iti ('smiiti: sandhi elis coal)
      asmi - asI, pres act, 1st/sg - I am
      ti (iti) - ind - (end-quote)
      kamma.m - n-a/acc/sg - work
      na - ind neg advs - not
      karoti - kar VI, pres act, 3rd/sg - he does
      tassa - 3rd pers pro, m/dat/sg - for him
      eva.m
      - adv - thus
      kiccaapadesa-bahulassa - dat TP cpd, n-a/gen/sg - on the abundance of excuses for obligations
      kicca - %kar VI, fpp, n-a/stem - that which ought to be done; duty
      apadesa-bahulassa - gen TP cpd, n-a/dat/sg -on the abundance of pretexts
      apadesa - m-a/stem - reason; statement; pretext
      bahulassa - n-a/gen/sg - on the abundance
      viharato - vi+har I, prp, m/gen/sg - while abiding [This is an example of the
      genitive absolute.]
      anuppannaa - an+ud+pad III, pp, m/nom/pl - unarisen
      ca (c': sandhi elis) - ind conj enc - and
      eva - adv
      emph - just, very
      bhogaa - m-a/nom/pl - possessions, wealth
      na (n': sandhi elis) - ind neg advs - not
      uppajjanti - ud+pad III, pres act, 3rd/pl - they arise
      uppannaa - ud+pad III, pp, m/nom/pl - arisen
      ca - ind conj enc - and
      bhogaa - m-a/nom/pl -possessions, wealth
      parikkhaya.m - m-a/acc/sg - ruin
      gacchanti - gam I, pres act, 3rd/pl - they go
      ime - dem
      pro, m/nom/pl - these
      kho - ind emph enc - indeed
      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg- O young householder
      cha - num
      adj, m/nom/pl - six
      aadiinavaa - m-a/nom/pl - dangers
      aalassaanuyoge - gen TP cpd, m-a/loc/pl - in the practice of idleness
      ti - ind - (end-quote)
      13. "These are the six dangers inherent in laziness: saying, 'It'stoo cold,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too hot,' one does not work;saying, 'It's too late,' one does not work; saying, 'It's too early,' one doesnot work; saying, 'I'm too hungry,' one does not work; saying, 'I'm too full,'one does not work. With an abundance of excuses for not working, new wealthdoes not accrue and existing wealth goes to waste."

      Withmetta,
      John