Re: SV: Re: [Pali] Re: Kacchapa-Jaataka, No. 273

    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 28, 2008
      Dear Gunnar,

      Op 28-mrt-2008, om 15:36 heeft Gunnar Gällmo het volgende geschreven:

      > Gunnar, I also heard the opposite that the prose was
      > > the original,
      > > not the verse. But these Jatakas were also rehearsed
      > > at the Great
      > > Councils.
      >
      > Weren't all the atthakatha rehearsed there?
      >
      > In VRI, Jatakapali contains only the verses,
      > Jatakatthakatha also the stories, so I think they are
      > commonly regarded as commentary (same as the stories
      > in the Dhammapada commentary, for example).
      >
      > But I don't think Buddhaghosa created those stories
      > from scratch. There are Non-Buddhist and perhaps
      > Pre-Buddhist versions of several of them.
      -------
      N: Buddhaghosa compiled and edited ancient commentaries and the
      originals are lost. The ancient ones were recited at the Councils.
      The Jatakas are mentioned in the M I, 133: Sutta, Geyya,
      Veyyaakarana, Gaathaa, Udaana, Itivutthaka, Jaataka, Abbhuta, Vedalla.
      <Five hundred and fifty birth-stories beginning with Apa.n.naka
      constutute the Jaataka. >, we read in the Atthasaalinii.
      As I said, old stories may have been used and incorporated, but the
      most important are the moral lessons.

      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 1, 2008
        Yes, Dave, many words in Malay come from Arabic, However, much of the
        words related to royalty come from Sanskrit, as duirng the pre-Islamic
        days, the royalty followed the Indian system of politics.

        Piya

        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

        > perhaps the arabic word "fikr" (meaning thinking, meditation and in urdu
        > which is a live language in india and pakistan, fikr is used to mean
        > worry)
        > is the source of them all.
        >
        > amazing how languages converge and diverge.
        > PG
        >

        > On 4/1/08, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@... <vangorko%40xs4all.nl>>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Piya,
        > > Op 1-apr-2008, om 3:19 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:
        > >
        > > > Does piekeren comes from pieker (BI pikir; BM fikir)?
        > > ------
        > > N: The opposite, a Dutch loanword in Bahasa.
        > > Nina.

        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644
        Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com