DN 31 Translation - part 17

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2008
      Dear
      friends,
      Continuation of the DN 31 translation and grammatical
      analysis:

      12. "Cha kho 'me gahapati-putta aadiinavaa paapa-mittaanuyoge: yedhuttaa, ye so.n.daa, ye pipaasaa, ye nekatikaa, ye va~ncanikaa, ye saahasikaa,tyaassa mittaa honti, te sahaayaa. [PTSPage 184] Ime kho gahapati-putta cha aadiinavaa paapa-mittaanuyoge.
      cha - num
      adj, m/nom/pl - six
      kho - ind emph enc - indeed
      ime ('me: sandhi elis) - dem
      pro, m/nom/pl - these
      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg- O young householder
      aadiinavaa - m-a/nom/pl - dangers
      paapa-mittaanuyoge - gen TP cpd *, m-a/loc/sg - in the practice of evil companionship
      ye - rel
      pro, m/nom/pl - whoever
      dhuttaa - m-a/nom/pl - scoundrels
      ye - rel
      pro, m/nom/pl - whoever
      so.n.daa - m-a/nom/pl - drunkards
      ye - rel
      pro, m/nom/pl - whoever
      pipaasaa - f-aa/nom/pl - thirsty ones
      ye - rel
      pro, m/nom/pl - whoever
      nekatikaa - m-a/nom/pl - cheats
      ye - rel
      pro, m/nom/pl - whoever
      va~ncanikaa - adj, m-a/nom/pl -deceitful
      ye - rel
      pro, m/nom/pl - whoever
      saahasikaa - adj, m-a/nom/pl - brutal
      [te assa (tyaassa: sandhi coal)]
      te - correl
      pro, m/nom/pl - they
      assa - dem
      pro, m/gen/sg - of him
      mittaa - m-a/nom/pl - friends
      honti - huu I, pres act, 3rd/pl - they are
      te - correl
      pro, m/nom/pl - they
      sahaayaa - m-a/nom/pl - companions
      ime - dem
      pro, m/nom/pl - these
      kho - ind emph enc - indeed
      gahapati-putta - gen TP cpd *, m-a/voc/sg- O young householder
      cha - num
      adj, m/nom/pl - six
      aadiinavaa - m-a/nom/pl - dangers

      paapa-mitta-anuyoge - gen TP cpd, m-a/loc/sg - in the practice of evil companionship
      paapa-mitta - KD cpd, m-a/stem - evil companionship
      paapa - adj, stem - evil
      mitta - m-a/stem - friend
      anuyoge - m-a/loc/sg - practice of
      12. "These are the six dangers inherent in bad companionship: anyrogue, drunkard, addict, cheat, swindler, or thug becomes a friend andcolleague.

      Withmetta,
      John