Kacchapa-Jaataka, No. 273

  • johan wijaya
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 17, 2008
      Hi, all....

      It seems like the number of Pali students are increasing in this group lately.

      Here I am again with another Latin translation of Jaataka Volume II, Tika-Nipaata, No.273, Kacchapa-Jaataka.
      Does any of those who know Latin help me again this time translate it into English?
      Or Is any of those studying Pali willing help me translate it into English?

      I would be really grateful if anyone could give me a hand by sharing their knowledge. I am badly in need of the translation.....

      Here is the link to the Latin version:
      http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/j2/j2126.htm

      Here is the link to the Pali version:
      http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0513a2.att1.xml
      (Then search for No. 273.)

      Or if you are bothered with links, please download the attachment (I attach the Latin and Pali version as well):

      Or if the attachment fails, read it directly here:
      LATIN
      KACCHAPA-JĀTAKA. [359] "Quis pateram extendens," etc.--This story the Master told during a. stay in Jetavana, how a quarrel was made up between two magnates of the king's court in Kosala 1. The circumstances have been told in the Second Book.
      _____________________________
      Brahmadatta quondam Benari regnante, Bodisatta sacerdotali genere regno Kasensi natus, postquam ad puberem aetatem pervenit, in urbe Takkasila studiis se dedit, et mox, cum lubidines tandem compressisset, solitarius homo in agro Himavanto prope ripam Gangae frondibus ramisque arborum mapale contexit ubi habitaret, Facultates Potentiasque magicas foveret, gaudium perpetuae cogitationis perciperet. Tum quidem hoc modo nato ita mens erat placida placataque ut ad summam patientiam unus pervenerit.
      p. 247
      Quem in limine casae sedentem visitabat Simius quidam impudentissimus pessimusque, inque aurem eius semen emittere solebat, neque tamen eius commovere poterat, sed sedebat porro summa animi tranquillitate Bodisatta. Accidit quondam ut ex aqua Testudo egressa somnum ore aperto captaret, in sole apricans. Quam cum vidisset Simius ille impudens, nec mora, pene in os inserto incepit futuere. Continuo Testudo experrecta os velut cistellam conclusit dentibusque comprendit id quod incertum erat. Simius cum nequiret nimium dolorem mulcere 'quo eam,' inquit, 'cui persuadeam ut hoc dolore me liberet?' Fore ut liberaretur ratus si ad Bodisattam pervenisset, Testudine ambabus manibus sublata ad Bodisattam pergit: qui ludos fecit Simium versibus his: [360]
      "quis pateram extendens 1 nostram mendicat ad aulam?
      unde venis? precibus quae, precor, esca datast?"
      Quibus auditis Simius respondit:
      "quod tetigisse nefas, tetigi: sum simius amens:
      eripe me! creptus mox nemora alta petam."
      Continuo pergit Bodisatta, Simium allocutus:
      "Cassapa testudo genus est: Condannus at ille:
      Cassapa Condannum mitte fututa precor 2."
      [361] His verbis valde delectata Testudo Simium omisit: qui Bodisattae dicta salute, se in fugam dedit, neque umquam postea eum locum ne oculis quidem usurpavit. Testudo quoque cum salutem dixisset abiit, at Bodisatta, defixo in contemplatione perpetua animo, tandem in eum locum, cuius dominus Brahma deus, pervenit.
      _____________________________
      When this discourse was ended, the Master declared the Truths and identified the Birth: "The two magnates were the Monkey and Tortoise, and I was the hermit."

      ---------------------------------

      Footnotes 246:1 Compare Nos. 154, 165.
      247:1 The tortoise looked like a begging bowl.
      247:2 A curious verse, as bearing on the laws of marriage. Kassapa means 'belonging to the Tortoise clan' (for which sec e.g. Muir, Sanskrit Texts, i. 438). The scholiast's note is: "The Tortoises are of the Kassapa clan, monkeys of the Koṇḍañña" = Skr. Kauṇḍinya, "between which two clans there is intermarriage (āvāhavivāhasambandho); now that it is consummated, let go."

      Any help would be much highly appreciated.

      With Metta,
      Jo.

      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 1, 2008
        Yes, Dave, many words in Malay come from Arabic, However, much of the
        words related to royalty come from Sanskrit, as duirng the pre-Islamic
        days, the royalty followed the Indian system of politics.

        Piya

        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM, P G Dave <pgd2507@...> wrote:

        > perhaps the arabic word "fikr" (meaning thinking, meditation and in urdu
        > which is a live language in india and pakistan, fikr is used to mean
        > worry)
        > is the source of them all.
        >
        > amazing how languages converge and diverge.
        > PG
        >

        > On 4/1/08, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@... <vangorko%40xs4all.nl>>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Piya,
        > > Op 1-apr-2008, om 3:19 heeft Piya Tan het volgende geschreven:
        > >
        > > > Does piekeren comes from pieker (BI pikir; BM fikir)?
        > > ------
        > > N: The opposite, a Dutch loanword in Bahasa.
        > > Nina.

        The Minding Centre
        Singapore 650644
        Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com