Re: Welcome to Pali

  • Jou Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
      From: "Pali Moderator" <Pali-owner@yahoogroups.com>
      To: <josmith.1@...>
      Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 1:43 AM
      Subject: Welcome to Pali

      > Welcome to the All Things Pali Discussion Group.

      Thanks

      > Please take a moment to review this message.

      ok

      > Our main discussion topics:
      > 1. Tipitaka and sutta study;

      I am working on a comparative study of the supposed first discourse of the
      Buddha from at least 17 texts from four languages. It may be my honours
      thesis.

      > 2. Pali language and literature;
      > 3. Theravada Buddhism;

      Did you know that in the last Sangha Council another book was added to the
      Canon?

      > 4. Samatha and Vipassana meditation;
      > 5. Sutta study tools and methodology;

      Is there anyone else here that practices the study methodology for his
      teaching that seems to be encouraged by the Buddha in the Pali text D 29 : D
      iii 12, that goes something like this: "... All you to whom I have taught
      these truths that I have realised by super-knowledge should come together
      and recite them, setting meaning beside meaning and expression beside
      expression, without dissension, in order that this holy life may continue
      and be established for a long time for the profit and happiness of the
      many..." It then goes on to mention the Limbs of Awakening, but I have found
      that it can beneficially be applied to all teachings.

      The following link is to a table that is an example of applying the method.
      Following the method has enabled me to get a big picture of the Buddha's
      teaching (and identify likely corrupted texts as a byproduct).

      http://www.bigfoot.com/~josmith.1/buddhism/jo/d_o_compare.html

      > 6. Tipitaka translation theory and practice.

      Does anyone here study linguistics and, or is familiar with the idea of
      semantic expansion and shift? If so, I would like to know what they have
      come up with in applying it to Pali words.

      > For a start, you may want to introduce yourself to the group, with the
      help of one or more of the following questions:
      > 1. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language?

      Have studied three semesters at uni with Dr Primoz Pecenko.

      > 2. Do you read and study the Tipitaka?

      Yes

      > 3. Were/Are you involved in any translation works of the Tipitaka?

      Some for my book, The Gift Of The Buddha, (soon?) to be pulished. Am planing
      to translate the
      Chinese Samyukta Aagama. Am doing a major in Chinese as well as Buddhism.

      Peace from Norman Joseph (Jou) Smith
      E-mail: josmith.1@...
      V-mail: +61 7 (0)500523778
      S-mail: PO Box 95 Toowong BC Queensland 4066 Australia
      URI: http://www.bigfoot.com/~josmith.1
      E-group: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ttbt
    • m. nease
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
        Dear Moderator & Friends,

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2003
          Hello, my good friends in the dharma. My name is Jeff Brooks, I live in
          Tucson, AZ and I sat my first vipassana retreat with Robert Hover here in
          1985. I have been an active member of the vipassana and other contemplative
          communities for 30 years. I now publish an electronic newsletter called the
          Southwest Insight E'letter, which is focused on the practice of vipassana and
          sangha related issues. I also publish a resource guide for retreats and
          centers in the Southwest. Back issues for both are available on the
          Albuquerque Vipassana Sangha website at
          http://www.cs.unm.edu/~richards/sangha/home.html.

          I arrived here in your webspace while seeking a forum for dialog on
          Theravadan Buddhism and the practice of vipassana. I look forward to the
          company of your sangha.

          May you all be free from suffering,

          Jeff
        • nemo erehwon
          Message 4 of 11 , May 28, 2003
            Dear Pali group,

            I am interested in learning more about Pali. Thank you for posting your resources.

            Thank you,

            Godaisanji

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 28 4:47 AM
              Dear Min Kyaw,