Re: Another question in the same Jaataka

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
      Dear Mahipaliha,

      Sorry for calling you Venerable and for embarrassing you; I thought
      you were a monk. I actually live in Myanmar and all my teachers are
      monks, and it is a habit here to address monks in this way. I don't
      take it as veneration but more like a form of politeness (like the use
      of "vous" in French). In Burmese they use terms like Ashin Paya, Saya,
      Sayama, Saya Gyi, Daw, Ko...and I always get confused. It is the same
      the other way. People just can't call me directly by my normal name
      but add U, Sir, Mister or Teacher which I also find funny. Calling you
      Saya (Teacher) or even Saya Gyi (Great Teacher) would have been more
      appropriate!

      Thank you very much again for your clear explanations which I found
      very helpful.

      U Robert

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
        Dear Mahipaliha,

        I join Nina in looking forward to your contributions.

        I hope you are willing to assist us on this list also in the future
        and I am looking forward to your contributions, thanks.