Re: [Pali] Re: Another question in the same Jaataka

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
      Dear Mahipaliha,
      you gave a very wise answer. I hope you are willing to assist us on
      this list also in the future and I am looking forward to your
      contributions, thanks.
      Nina.
      Op 2-mrt-2008, om 0:52 heeft mahipaliha het volgende geschreven:

      > I taught Sanskrit in a Sri Lankan university and courses in Hinduism
      > and Buddhism in a US university. Several non-SL students sought my
      > assistance in learning Pali, which I willingly gave. Now, however,
      > living in retirement, I see the self-assertive aspect of the acdemic
      > enterprise more clearly than I did before. It is always better to back
      > out of it when that element emerges.

    • flrobert2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
        Dear Mahipaliha,

        Sorry for calling you Venerable and for embarrassing you; I thought
        you were a monk. I actually live in Myanmar and all my teachers are
        monks, and it is a habit here to address monks in this way. I don't
        take it as veneration but more like a form of politeness (like the use
        of "vous" in French). In Burmese they use terms like Ashin Paya, Saya,
        Sayama, Saya Gyi, Daw, Ko...and I always get confused. It is the same
        the other way. People just can't call me directly by my normal name
        but add U, Sir, Mister or Teacher which I also find funny. Calling you
        Saya (Teacher) or even Saya Gyi (Great Teacher) would have been more
        appropriate!

        Thank you very much again for your clear explanations which I found
        very helpful.

        U Robert

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
          Dear Mahipaliha,

          I join Nina in looking forward to your contributions.